Worst and best rival fans you have seen?

ReadingGlasses

Re: Worst and best rival fans you have seen?

by ReadingGlasses » 23 Sep 2022 13:27

Worst to me for a reason other than violence: Arsenal.

I've only seen a few games against Arsenal and there's always been the same pattern - almost total silence from the fans. I know, Reading are often hardly much better, but where it really stuck out to me was at the FA Cup semi final. It should have been a big event for both teams, but maybe the Arsenal fans are so used it that they were bored. Apart from a ten minute period after they scored they hardly made any sound at all. I wondered what it must be like to support a team which has had so much success in the past that a trip to Wembley is nothing to be excited about.

It was definitely much less high profile, but I went to that game at the Emirates in the league cup. It was a fairly crappy game, on a cold midweek night, but again the total lack of any atmosphere seemed strange. It felt like most of the home fans there didn't care at all about what was happening, and were just there to chat with their mates or something.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 24 Sep 2022 22:09

Worst, very close between Wolves and Leeds but I don't like Tottenham fans and Liverpool always the victim, never our fault do need a mention.
Best has to go to the Barnet fans that totally out sung us in the rearranged match after they were relegated.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Sep 2022 22:20

percy_freeman Worst, very close between Wolves and Leeds but I don't like Tottenham fans and Liverpool always the victim, never our fault do need a mention.
Best has to go to the Barnet fans that totally out sung us in the rearranged match after they were relegated.

Was that the 1-0 win at Underhill, played in a downpour? I remember that game most for a bunch of meatheads in the away game spending the whole game singing a load of sectarian shite.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Sep 2022 00:07

Our own ‘Blackie’ (and friend) did that kind’ve sectarian shizz at Grimsby in ‘87
Embarrassed us…a lot.

Royalcop

by Royalcop » 25 Sep 2022 08:09

ReadingGlasses Worst to me for a reason other than violence: Arsenal.

I've only seen a few games against Arsenal and there's always been the same pattern - almost total silence from the fans. I know, Reading are often hardly much better, but where it really stuck out to me was at the FA Cup semi final. It should have been a big event for both teams, but maybe the Arsenal fans are so used it that they were bored. Apart from a ten minute period after they scored they hardly made any sound at all. I wondered what it must be like to support a team which has had so much success in the past that a trip to Wembley is nothing to be excited about.

It was definitely much less high profile, but I went to that game at the Emirates in the league cup. It was a fairly crappy game, on a cold midweek night, but again the total lack of any atmosphere seemed strange. It felt like most of the home fans there didn't care at all about what was happening, and were just there to chat with their mates or something.

This x1000 - smug, entitled pr1cks the lot of them. I went to our league cup match at Highbury in the mid-00s in the home end and ended up sat directly behind curly-haired professional irritant (and now, I’m delighted to say, convicted stalker) Rory McGrath who was loudly holding court with his Gooner acolytes, ugh.

One of my few unfulfilled RFC ambitions is to see us give Arsenal a good hiding one day. I think I would take that over getting into Europe tbh.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Sep 2022 09:45

AthleticoSpizz Our own ‘Blackie’ (and friend) did that kind’ve sectarian shizz at Grimsby in ‘87
Embarrassed us…a lot.

At Barnet, I remember the sectarian stuff only stopping long enough for them to call Danny Dichio a "Gypo"

The only other time I've been embarrassed to be a Reading fan was in The Moon On The Green before our game at Loftus Rd in 97/98 and there were
a couple of Reading fans racially abusing some locals enjoying a quite Sunday pint after church. I saw them getting kicked out of the ground later for chanting "Spackers" at the wheelchair section .

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 25 Sep 2022 10:10

Wolves for me; go to Molineaux and turn your watch back to 1973, where even the stewards give you crap, and getting coined from above is normal.

When we played Leeds at Elland Road towards the end of the 106 season and they were hoping to get into the play-offs, 2 of their fans were particular agressive verbally. After the game, walked back to my car in a pub car park near the ground and the same 2 guys were parked next to me......they could not have been nicer, wishing us luck in the Prem etc etc.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 25 Sep 2022 12:21

Saw the best and worst within a minute at Leicester ‘that’ day

Sat in the Leicester fans
Had a great chat with them for large parts of the game
Celebrated when we scored and the local neanderthal threatened us (obviously the worst), only to be turned on by the Leicester fans around us (the best)

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 25 Sep 2022 18:42

Sutekh Do remember going to games at the old Den (Millwall) in the early and mid 80s hoping Reading could avoid winning. Luckily Reading were pretty good at obliging in that front.

Yes - agree. Definitely the most intimidating away ground I've been to, particularly the walk from New Cross Gate. I also remember away fans entered the same turnstiles as home fans

Home trouble I'd say Portsmouth, Someone posted re the1979 game, also remember their 1977 visit, which we again won, was just as bad trouble wise

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 25 Sep 2022 20:08

At home I've always thought Brighton fans are a bunch of c***s along with Cardiff.

Away? Wolves, Birmingham, West Ham. Arsenal just for their pure arrogance and lack of football knowledge, the most boring set of fans I've ever come across.

As for fans I thought were a good bunch at home, West Brom, Sheff Utd, Pompey

Good set of fans away? Pompey, Liverpool, Villa, Fulham, Norwich, QPR

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Sep 2022 20:36

Always found Sheff W and (dare I say it) Derby very well supported.
Wolves can ‘do-one’ based purely on their home game in the play-offs…bunch of old-aged pcunts
Cardiff, miserable fukkahs, even at Christmas
Portsmouth, as already alluded to, ran the South Bank and chased us all the way down the oxf*rd Road …we beat them 2-0 tho :D

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Sep 2022 09:48

Having been in the home end at Arsenal a few times they are absolutely shit fans. They all leave around 70 minutes.

Having seen them at RFC and other London grounds, Plymouth's away following is superb. Any fcuking idiot that has a massive Ginsters flag is OK with me.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 Sep 2022 10:30

leon Having been in the home end at Arsenal a few times they are absolutely shit fans. They all leave around 70 minutes.

Having seen them at RFC and other London grounds, Plymouth's away following is superb. Any fcuking idiot that has a massive Ginsters flag is OK with me.

Yeah Plymouth are well supported on the road considering the travelling they have to do. Have a mate who is a Rotherham fan and they must have played Plymouth at home a season or so ago on a night and he said they brought about 1300 fans up there on a Tuesday night which, considering they are an average/good League One side, is an excellent following for the distance they travel. They might not always conduct themselves as well as they should, but they are well supported.

Dulwich Royal

by Dulwich Royal » 26 Sep 2022 11:36

On the Paddington train back after games there are some good, some bad but Arsenal and Fulham always stick out as smug tossers.

The Old Den was intimidating except for the night of Dean Horrix's family's testimonial game that was very well respected - from memory I think Gazza gave his time to play in it.