120 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h)

by Sutekh » 26 Sep 2022 22:15

When : Saturday 1st October 2022, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

And now the fun begins thanks to the farce of the Qatar World Cup. After a couple of weeks rest all hell now breaks loose with 10 games in 43 days which is basically a game every 4 days or so. Quite how clubs are expected to maintain players at reasonable levels of fitness and freshness over this period is unknown as even those with larger squads are going to be pushed to the limit let alone Reading with its smaller range of options and excellent injury record.

Anyway first up in this mess is a visit from last year’s losing play off finalists, Huddersfield Town. The Terriers have not started particularly well and are struggling in the relegation zone after losing several of last year’s team. However if you think that’s going to mean easy pickings then you’re likely to be very wrong as Huddersfield’s decision to dump manager Danny Schofield has left the team in the caretakership of Paul Harsley and Narcís Pèlach, so they may well now be a fairly unknown quantity in terms of formation and tactics - and even more so if a new chap arrives before Saturday (Michael Carrick seems to be favourite amongst some at the moment).

Huddersfield have won just 2 of their 9 games so far but are on a 100% winning run of 1 game from 1 following their home success over Cardiff last time out. They are fairly consistent away from home at the moment though having played 3 and lost 3 (at Brum, Bristol and Norwich). So another reason there then for Reading to be on their guard on the day.

While the likes of Harry Toffolo and Lewis O’Brien are no longer at the club they have acquired Faustino Anjorin on loan from Chelsea 2 goals in 6(2) appearances and Danny Ward is still providing the forward threat. In addition Jordan Rhodes seems to be finding a bit of form having bagged 2 in 2 starts.

Reading are hoping the international break does not see the likes of Loum, Hoilett, Joao or Hendrick return with any problems while the “rest period” may well allow Ejaria, Long and former Terrier Naby Sarr to return to the squad for a place on the bench following injury. Andy Carroll may get the nod to start, ahead of Joao given the travelling Joao had with Angola plus the next game being a visit from Norwich on Tuesday.

Huddersfield are likely to be without Matty Pearson and Tyreese Simpson through injury.

Referee

Oliver “1 win in 15 games” Langford

Previously

09 Feb 22 > Bristol City 2-1 Reading
30 Oct 21 > Reading 0-2 Bournemouth
01 May 21 > Norwich City 4-1 Reading
16 Feb 21 > Bristol City 0-2 Reading
02 Dec 20 > Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Reading
19 Apr 19 > Bristol City 1-1 Reading
24 Nov 18 > Wigan Athletic 0-0 Reading
22 Aug 18 > Blackburn Rovers 2-2 Reading
17 Mar 18 > Norwich City 3-2 Reading
26 Dec 17 > Bristol City 2-0 Reading
28 Oct 17 > Reading 0-2 Middlesbrough
12 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Queens Park Rangers
03 Dec 16 > Fulham 5-0 Reading
04 Oct 16 > Portsmouth 2-2 Reading U23 (Trophy thing)
27 Sep 16 > Brentford 4-1 Reading
19 Jan 16 > Reading 5-2 Huddersfield Town (FA Cup)
16 Dec 15 > Hull City 2-1 Reading
11 Mar 14 > Leeds United 2-4 Reading
14 Dec 13 > Huddersfield Town 0-1 Reading
06 Mar 12 > Reading 1-0 Portsmouth
27 Aug 11 > Hull City 1-0 Reading
16 Oct 10 > Reading 0-1 Swansea City

Historically

The first time Reading played Huddersfield was at Elm Park in October 1975, since then then there has been another 24 home league games and, overall, Reading have the edge by 12 wins to 5 and have scored 39 to the Terrier’s 28. Recently though it’s been pretty poor for Reading with just 1 win from the last 7 home league games.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and go
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)
Last edited by Sutekh on 27 Sep 2022 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Huddersfield Town (h)

by royalp-we » 26 Sep 2022 23:28

Well the last time out at ‘fortress madejski’ was absolutely embarrassing. First half at Wigan was also pants.

Been relying on Ince to do all the pressing and graft far too long. He simply won’t keep it up with the run of games ahead. Hopefully we may see Meite get some minutes. Would be good to see Sarr make his home debut too.

It’s got scrappy draw written all over this imo.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2022 02:14

Wasn’t Langford in charge when we had four blatant penalties not given v Sheff Wed about 18 months ago?

Anyway the ED will be full on Saturday with the club doing the cheap tickets for schools thing again.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Sep 2022 07:00

Zip Wasn’t Langford in charge when we had four blatant penalties not given v Sheff Wed about 18 months ago?

Anyway the ED will be full on Saturday with the club doing the cheap tickets for schools thing again.

The M4 closure will put a lot of people off, it was absolute chaos on the A33 last weekend. Add train strikes to that and for some it will be nearly impossible to get to the game. I plan to walk and will be setting off on Thursday given I live 30 miles away.....

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2022 08:50

Nameless
Zip Wasn’t Langford in charge when we had four blatant penalties not given v Sheff Wed about 18 months ago?

The M4 closure will put a lot of people off, it was absolute chaos on the A33 last weekend. Add train strikes to that and for some it will be nearly impossible to get to the game. I plan to walk and will be setting off on Thursday given I live 30 miles away.....

Oh heck. Where is the M4 closed?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Sep 2022 09:03

Nameless

If I set off now (Tuesday 09:00) I can probably make it

Having said that, is there anyone in the MK area that wants to go ?
I’m happy to drive
PM if you’re interested (I won’t hold my breath :wink: )

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 27 Sep 2022 09:06

Rumours that Huddersfield are expected to appoint Hertha Berlin's assistant manager as their new manager this week, seems to be a running theme this season that we are playing teams who change managers and then play us (Blackpool, Stoke, Huddersfield* - can't really add Sunderland to this list but Mowbray was another who recently took the reigns at the Mackams before facing us).

Could be a tougher game than what meets the eye, it's probably the first game we are walking into this season where we are probably the favourites to win, particularly given the two clubs' positions in the table. A 1-0 win or a 3-0 win, I'm not really that bothered, a win is a win.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Sep 2022 09:15

Yes. History now corrected.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Sep 2022 09:22

Would go:

Lumley

Yiadom
Holmes
Sarr

Hoilett
Fornah
Hutchinson
Rahman

Ince
Long
Joao

Bench: Bouzanis, McIntyre, Hendrick, Loum, Ejaria, Carroll, Meite

Leaving out both Mbengue and NGW. Sure there’ll be a few mystery injuries and of course is on the proviso that Sarr, Ejaria and Long are all fit

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Sep 2022 10:48

Looks a decent side

Think it depends on fitness levels. Not sure if Loum played the internationals. See how Hoilett is after travelling etc. but I wouldn’t stray far from that. Don’t think I’d put Long straight back in even if fit, so I might go Meite even though not sure if Meite and Joao work up top

Definite options though, and yes no place for Ehib, Abrefa, Camara, Tetek or Scott who I think could all do, or have done, a job

Edit Loum on the bench but didn’t come on for Senegal

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2022 12:45

I think it was longer than that.... Gomes in charge?

But yes. He's a dreadful ref who gives us nothing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2022 12:47

Snowflake Royal

It was 21 months ago when Pauno was in charge.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2022 12:51

Zip
Snowflake Royal

Ok, I think there were two Wednesday debacles, pretty sure one was Gomes. Wasn't sure that was the pen one.

Yeah opening game of 19/20

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Sep 2022 13:02

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Snowflake Royal I think it was longer than that.... Gomes in charge?

Ok, I think there were two Wednesday debacles, pretty sure one was Gomes. Wasn't sure that was the pen one.

And randomly of the Wednesday scorers that day - two now play for us and the third was on trial last summer.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2022 13:06

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yeah Joao scored against us and I think we lost 3-1 at home

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 27 Sep 2022 17:02

Zip
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Yeah he scored the final goal in their 3-1 win.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2022 17:33

tidus_mi2
Zip
Snowflake Royal Ok, I think there were two Wednesday debacles, pretty sure one was Gomes. Wasn't sure that was the pen one.

Yeah he scored the final goal in their 3-1 win.

Ahhh yes. I can still see it. A defender getting too tight and a really obvious, but clever, control, swivel and shot you could see coming a mile away from the stands.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Sep 2022 18:03

Snowflake Royal

He did send off a Wednesday player in that 1-1 draw after about half an hour with Reading losing so he did sort of give Reading something.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 27 Sep 2022 18:06

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal

He did send off a Wednesday player in that 1-1 draw after about half an hour with Reading losing so he did sort of give Reading something.

Yep and it was in the second half we had a,succession of very strong penalty appeals.
The game Ian mentioned was right at the start of the,season under Gomes. I was keeping tabs on the score from a beach in San Sebastian.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Sep 2022 18:19

Zip
Sutekh

Yep and it was in the second half we had a,succession of very strong penalty appeals.
The game Ian mentioned was right at the start of the,season under Gomes. I was keeping tabs on the score from a beach in San Sebastian.

I thinking I was in the South Stand mentally writing an essay about the folly of asking half your back four to spend their time exclusively in line with the Opposition D with no covering midfielders.

120 posts