Midweek Away Record

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Midweek Away Record

by Royal_jimmy » 10 Nov 2022 13:28

I question whether it's a stat that our analysts have raised. During this period we've had Clarke, McDermott (V2), Stam, Clement, Gomes, Bowen, Pauno and now Ince as managers, 8 managers!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2022 07:35

I'd very much like to see what other clubs performance is like.

Need more than a sample of 1. Though it can hardly be the norm, or midweek games would often end with both sides contriving to lose.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Nov 2022 08:23

It does seem incredibly bad. Tbh just don’t look forward to midweek games any more, partly because of this record

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2022 08:26

Hound It does seem incredibly bad. Tbh just don’t look forward to midweek games any more, partly because of this record

I increasingly wonder why I bother in general and yet I'm watching more games than ever thanks to the convenience òf modern tech. I think if my only options were Dellor audio only or schlepping to Reading for live matches I probably would have given up by now.

I'm mostly priced in from habit and not wanting to miss a good season.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Nov 2022 08:29

Snowflake Royal
Hound It does seem incredibly bad. Tbh just don’t look forward to midweek games any more, partly because of this record

I increasingly wonder why I bother in general and yet I'm watching more games than ever thanks to the convenience òf modern tech. I think if my only options were Dellor audio only or schlepping to Reading for live matches I probably would have given up by now.

Yeah know what you mean. Saturday games are just a social for the boys and their mates now tbh. Which is fine, relatively cheap entertainment for them

Frustrating as games like Blackburn and Norwich were genuinely enjoyable. But they seem to be the exception

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Nov 2022 08:34

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Yeah know what you mean. Saturday games are just a social for the boys and their mates now tbh. Which is fine, relatively cheap entertainment for them

Frustrating as games like Blackburn and Norwich were genuinely enjoyable. But they seem to be the exception

When we're hot we're hot but when we're not we're really not... and that's most of the last decade sadly.

So weird to have gone from the best ten years in our long history to a pretty dire decade, if still mostly at about the highest level we've played.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 11 Nov 2022 12:33

Sutekh Bit more digging on this and basically since the start of season 2015/2016 Reading have played 109 midweek league fixtures and are averaging approx 0.89ppg. As you’d expect therefore, both home and away form is pretty useless though the team is actually harder to beat when playing away than at home while the home games usually return a decisive result.

Home Record

Pld 57
W 19
D 6
L 32
F 63
A 89
Pts 63

Away Record

Pld 52
W 4 :lol:
D 22
L 26
F 44
A 77
Pts 34

Given they are so few, the away victories are:

31 January 2017 - Birmingham City 1-2 Reading
30 January 2018 - Burton Albion 1-3 Reading
27 October 2020 - Blackburn Rovers 2-4 Reading
16 February 2021 - Bristol City 0-2 Reading

Note that it seems once Reading have won at a team beginning with B, they are unable to repeat the feat!

As you’d probably expect, given we’re talking about English football, the most often recurring midweek games are of course not against anybody remotely local, they are: Birmingham City (7 games), Huddersfield Town, Leeds United and Blackburn Rovers (all 6 games).

In short P109 Pts 97 - that's not just relegation, that's bottom of the table!

If you can be bothered, what are the comparable stats for Saturday / Sunday. Bank Holiday daytime KOs?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Nov 2022 15:14

Fox Talbot
Sutekh Bit more digging on this and basically since the start of season 2015/2016 Reading have played 109 midweek league fixtures and are averaging approx 0.89ppg. As you’d expect therefore, both home and away form is pretty useless though the team is actually harder to beat when playing away than at home while the home games usually return a decisive result.

Home Record

Pld 57
W 19
D 6
L 32
F 63
A 89
Pts 63

Away Record

Pld 52
D 22
L 26
F 44
A 77
Pts 34

Note that it seems once Reading have won at a team beginning with B, they are unable to repeat the feat!

As you’d probably expect, given we’re talking about English football, the most often recurring midweek games are of course not against anybody remotely local, they are: Birmingham City (7 games), Huddersfield Town, Leeds United and Blackburn Rovers (all 6 games).

If you can be bothered, what are the comparable stats for Saturday / Sunday. Bank Holiday daytime KOs

That’s asking! Probably not a whole lot better, seem to remember one thing though which was that during Stam’s second season (2017/18) Reading did not win at home on a Saturday until 7th April (1-0 v Preston) :lol:

And yet it had still taken the club until mid-March to sack Jaap!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Nov 2022 16:00

Home Record

Pld 57
W 19
D 6
L 32
F 63
A 89
Pts 63

Away Record

Pld 52
D 22
L 26
F 44
A 77
Pts 34

That`s bloody horrendous, even the play-off season was poor with only 1 win and 4 defeats (it was 1-0 not 2-1)

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 11 Nov 2022 16:37

Sutekh
Fox Talbot

Home Record

Pld 57
W 19
D 6
L 32
F 63
A 89
Pts 63

Away Record

Pld 52
D 22
L 26
F 44
A 77
Pts 34

If you can be bothered, what are the comparable stats for Saturday / Sunday. Bank Holiday daytime KOs

That’s asking! Probably not a whole lot better, seem to remember one thing though which was that during Stam’s second season (2017/18) Reading did not win at home on a Saturday until 7th April (1-0 v Preston) :lol:

And yet it had still taken the club until mid-March to sack Jaap!

The 'daylight' record has got to be much better - otherwise we'd be in L2 now.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2022 13:53

Fox Talbot If you can be bothered, what are the comparable stats for Saturday / Sunday. Bank Holiday daytime KOs?

OK, pick the bones out of this lot.

As per above midweek info, all data below is based on LEAGUE games played since the start of 2015/16.

SATURDAY games (games played on a Saturday NOT also falling on a public holiday)

Home

P 96 W 40 D 29 L 27

Away

P 110 W 38 D 19 L 53

SUNDAY games (games played on a Sunday NOT also falling on a public holiday)

Home

P 5 W 3 D 2 L 0

Away

P 1 W 0 D 1 L 0

FRIDAY games (games played on a Friday NOT also falling on a public holiday)

Home

P 6 W 3 D 1 L 2

Away

P 4 W 0 D 1 L 3

Other evening games (games played on a Monday or Thursday evening NOT also falling on a public holiday)

Home

P 3 W 0 D 1 L 2

Away

P 0 W 0 D 0 L 0

Bank Holiday games

Home

P 13 W 7 D 3 L 3

Away

P 9 W 4 D 2 L 3

Basically Reading need to play home games on a Sunday while games on Bank/Public Holidays are also pretty decent on the whole.

Midweek evening games should be avoided whenever possible, especially away from home!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 15 Nov 2022 18:55

The poor away record is probably down to location, the midlands/north sides are all basically doable on the day travel wise whereas we prob have to go up the day before. So for a Tues game the players basically have no rest...and before sky started red button all midweek game were on a Tues

I expect a lot of sides in the wrong location have poor midweek away record, be interesting to know

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 20 Nov 2022 15:03

Mid Sussex Royal The poor away record is probably down to location, the midlands/north sides are all basically doable on the day travel wise whereas we prob have to go up the day before. So for a Tues game the players basically have no rest...and before sky started red button all midweek game were on a Tues

I expect a lot of sides in the wrong location have poor midweek away record, be interesting to know

Also, for the past six or so years the fixture schedulers have given into the FL clubs and scheduled more long distance matches for midweek, so there will, on average, now be more long-distance trip midweek than there were before this.

This is because some have argued that local derbies /short-distance matches are always the best attended and the decrease in attendance from scheduling these midweek is a lot greater than it would be for midweek games, as fewer away fans travel long-distance anyway. So priority is now given to scheduling short distance games for Saturday afternoons.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 20 Nov 2022 22:55

Using Sutekh’s numbers I calculate 335 points from 235 matches in ‘daylight’ and 109 points from 122 matches under floodlight.

This gives 1.43 ppg or a 66 point season (46 games) in daylight which equates roughly to 10th position and 0.89 ppg or a 41 point season which equates to relegation, probably 24th for midweek under lights. We’re more than 50% better with daylight KOs. Ridiculous disparity.