MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

by Sutekh » 09 Jan 2023 17:30

When : Saturday, 14 January 2023, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

It’s the fakes up next for a mid-table affair with both sides on equal points and just 4 goals separating them. Any sort of win puts Reading 3 points clear of the lot from west London and back banging on the playoff doors.

QPR have been indifferent at the start of the season then were really rather good with 8 wins and a draw in 11 games but now they appear to have gone really rather not very good with only 1 win and 3 draws in 10 league games. On top of that they crashed out of the FA Cup by 2-1 at Fleetwood with what looked a pretty strong side. This, of course, will make for a rather uncomfortable afternoon for Reading as, while there might be some expectation that this is one Reading could win, there's been far too many instances in recent seasons where Charity FC has turned up masquerading as Reading and opponents on cr@p form have been able to reverse that fortune (at least for the afternoon anyway).

Whatever the form, there is some real usefulness in the QPR squad. They've had away wins at Preston, Sheffield United and Watford though currently away they've managed just one goal in 5 league games (but that was the winner at Preston) however last time out in the league they did halt their run of 4 successive home defeats so maybe they're starting an upward turn again.

The main threat is midfielder Chris Willock who has 6 goals followed by the forward threats posed by Lyndon Dykes (6 goals) and Ilias Chair (4 goals). Sam Field, Tim Iroegbunam, Stefan Johansen and Andre Dozell are also amongst the higher contributing outfield players while Rob Dickie provides the obvious threat being a former Reading player let go far too soon.

Injuries continue to persist, though hopefully the resting of players v Watford in the cup will have helped a little. Maybe Ejaria might get a place on the bench while Dann and Azeez will continue improving after lengthy spells out. Then there's the Mbengue issue, his contract is up on Thursday so will miss the game unless the club agree terms and get FL approval by the end of this week. Andy Carroll is in a similar boat but I believe his contract runs to 14 January so may well still be eligible. However both these contracts ideally need to be sorted this week - so you just know it’s going to run to the end of the month.

Just two injury doubts for QPR in Liam Balogun and Stefan Johansen.

Referee

Darren “one home win in five” Bond

Previously....

04 Oct 22 > Reading 1-1 Norwich City
09 Jan 21 > Luton Town 1-0 Reading (FA Cup)
21 Nov 20 > Bournemouth 4-2 Reading
17 Oct 20 > Middlesbrough 0-0 Reading
12 Sep 20 > Derby County 0-2 Reading
11 Jul 20 > Charlton Athletic 0-1 Reading
14 Jan 20 > Blackpool 0-2 Reading (FA Cup)
26 Nov 19 > Reading 0-1 Leeds United
10 Nov 18 > Reading 2-2 Ipswich Town
15 Sep 18 > Preston North End 2-3 Reading
03 Apr 18 > Aston Villa 3-0 Reading
20 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Brentford
30 Nov 17 > Reading 3-0 Barnsley
11 Feb 17 > Reading 0-0 Barnsley
13 Aug 16 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Reading
14 Mar 15 > Watford 4-1 Reading
30 Aug 14 > Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading

Historically

Overall Reading have an edge on league games in this derby fixture by 39 wins to 32. There have been 25 stalemates.

Thus this game is the 49th league visit from that lot just up the M4 and Reading have recorded 27 victories to 10 from the Rangers but have only won 3 of the previous 12 home fixtures :shock:

Last season this fixture produced 6 goals going considerably against the normal expectations which, in the previous 11 home games, had become extremely dull with pretty much as few goals as shots producing the following run of results 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 0-0, 1-1, 0-1, 0-1, 1-0, 0-1, 1-0 and 1-1 (in fact 13 of the 15 home games played v QPR since the move to RG2 have ended in a binary format - and one of the 2 that didn't only finished 2-1 thanks to that very late Murty penalty).

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalsTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queens Park Rangers (h)

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2023 18:30

Potentially all first team players bar Moore available going by training pics today.

Feels like a big opportunity this one esp with the bottom 3 all having tricky away games, a win will see us stay on the fringes and could put us 5 games ahead of the bottom 3 (13pts).

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2023 08:31

Could potentially have 22 first teamers vying for a spot in the 18 man squad - so will be interested to see which way Ince goes

Think Mbengue, Guinness Walker, Fornah and Azeez are likely ones to drop out at full strength with Ince clearly preferring experience. Don’t agree with NGW, would be looking to start him but we’re heavy on defenders in the squad

Would go with

Lumley

Yiadom
Holmes
Sarr

Hoilett
Hendrick
Loum
NGW

Ince
Long
Meite

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2023 09:49

JLow reports that Holmes, Ejaria, Tetek and Fornah apparently all trained yesterday.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2023 10:03

Yes proper tough decisions for ince to make. Azeez and Abrefa were arguably our brightest sparks against Watford. Dann as well, yet they prob won’t make the 11 or possibly even the 18

I’m not sure Hoilett should be getting the free pass into the team - I like him but is it 1 goal no assists this year and just don’t think he’s been the same since the WC.

My guess, and it’s very much a guess, but it’ll be (pending Holmes’ fitness)

Lumley
Holmes/Yiadom Sarr Dann
Yiadom/Hoilett Loum Hendrick Baba
Ince
Meite Carroll

Bouzanis, etc etc

I’d like to see NGW in. I’d be up for seeing Abrefa over Hoilett but it won’t happen. Would also like to see Azeez on the bench and come on.

Tough calls to make anyway - first time for god knows how long

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2023 11:05

Hound Yes proper tough decisions for ince to make. Azeez and Abrefa were arguably our brightest sparks against Watford. Dann as well, yet they prob won’t make the 11 or possibly even the 18

I’m not sure Hoilett should be getting the free pass into the team - I like him but is it 1 goal no assists this year and just don’t think he’s been the same since the WC.

Lumley
Holmes/Yiadom Sarr Dann
Ince
Meite Carroll

Bouzanis, etc etc

I’d like to see NGW in. I’d be up for seeing Abrefa over Hoilett but it won’t happen. Would also like to see Azeez on the bench and come on.

If Yiadom was to play at wing back, then I'd quite comfortably have McIntyre instead of Sarr at this point. I'd also prefer NGW to Rahman, although that's probably unlikely, but the rest of the team seems ok. The matchday squad will be interesting depending on who is available.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 10 Jan 2023 12:17

Hound Yes proper tough decisions for ince to make. Azeez and Abrefa were arguably our brightest sparks against Watford. Dann as well, yet they prob won’t make the 11 or possibly even the 18

Lumley
Holmes/Yiadom Sarr Dann
Ince
Meite Carroll

Bouzanis, etc etc

Sort of agree, Hoilett started the season as one of the better players but has really tailed off. But, especially if you’re going to start with Carroll, you need more of a presence out wide. There’s little point playing Yiadom and Rahman as the two respective wing backs with Carroll up top - he’d be a passenger

There is scope to return to a four at the back too, the likes of Hutchinson, McIntyre and Mbengue’s versatility allows us to be more flexible with in game formations. But then you’d question where that would leave the likes of Joao and Long as we wouldn’t play two up top with a back four

Then if you’re wanting Azeez on the bench, can you afford three strikers? I think you could with the aforementioned versatile defenders but even so, 50% of the outfield bench being strikers seems a bit much. It’s nice to have these problems again although I’m sure a couple of players will pick up an injury before the game anyway!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jan 2023 13:14

Fully agree I’d rather not see baba and Yiadom as wing backs but suspect that’s the way he’ll go

Neither are naturals there, slightly suprising with Yiadoms history as a winger but he is better suited to RCB or RB in a 4. Id just take NGW over Baba full stop.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2023 14:06

Sutekh JLow reports that Holmes, Ejaria, Tetek and Fornah apparently all trained yesterday.

And will probably get injured in training on Friday! :cry:

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 10 Jan 2023 18:05

Great news- Andy Carroll has signed until the summer of 2024
https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/j ... ntil-2024/

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2023 18:07

Hound Fully agree I’d rather not see baba and Yiadom as wing backs but suspect that’s the way he’ll go

Neither are naturals there, slightly suprising with Yiadoms history as a winger but he is better suited to RCB or RB in a 4. Id just take NGW over Baba full stop.

I think the issue with Yiadom is that wing backs need to stay wide and cross. He wants to cut inside and run at the box. That's ok as a winger if your fullback stays wide, or as a fullback if the winger does, but as a wingback you're often the only one out there. So you're making the pitch small for your team, running into a congested area and leaving an easy counter attack channel.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 10 Jan 2023 18:41

Snowflake Royal
Hound Fully agree I’d rather not see baba and Yiadom as wing backs but suspect that’s the way he’ll go

I think the issue with Yiadom is that wing backs need to stay wide and cross. He wants to cut inside and run at the box. That's ok as a winger if your fullback stays wide, or as a fullback if the winger does, but as a wingback you're often the only one out there. So you're making the pitch small for your team, running into a congested area and leaving an easy counter attack channel.

Time for a change in formation to his preferred 4-3-3 now that we have a full squad back and raring to go. Take the WB's out of the equation and play to the players strengths.

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes Dann NGW
Mbengue Loum Hendrick
Meite Carroll Ince

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2023 19:18

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal

Time for a change in formation to his preferred 4-3-3 now that we have a full squad back and raring to go. Take the WB's out of the equation and play to the players strengths.

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes Dann NGW
Mbengue Loum Hendrick
Meite Carroll Ince

Glacially slow at CB, Ince has been best through the middle and Mbengue has barely played any midfield here and is very raw.

I think we can do much better than that.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jan 2023 22:45

Going to miss this one as committed to Cheltenham v Derby before the season started,
Anyway with plenty of options I would hope Hendrick would be dropped but he will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Still unsure on NGW. Good going forward but weak defensively.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2023 16:26

QPR are expecting to complete the loan signing of 28 year old winger/striker Jamal Lowe from Bournemouth in time for the game.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 11 Jan 2023 18:26

Have QPR fans demanded 4,000 tickets again, or has their current shitness meant they are happy with the usual 2,000 allocation.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Jan 2023 18:44

Mr Optimist Have QPR fans demanded 4,000 tickets again, or has their current shitness meant they are happy with the usual 2,000 allocation.

They are moaning like they always do despite giving us less then 2000 for over 30 quid each at their shithole of a ground

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 11 Jan 2023 18:48

windermereROYAL
Mr Optimist Have QPR fans demanded 4,000 tickets again, or has their current shitness meant they are happy with the usual 2,000 allocation.

They are moaning like they always do despite giving us less then 2000 for over 30 quid each at their shithole of a ground

Super, can’t wait for the glamour boys from West London to buy 30 tickets in the West Stand Lower and give it the biggun to a load of OAPs with tartan blankets! They are the gift that keeps on giving.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jan 2023 23:31

Someone should tell them they can have 4000 tickets when they get rid of the attention seeking nob with the sombrero.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Jan 2023 10:12

Sutekh QPR are expecting to complete the loan signing of 28 year old winger/striker Jamal Lowe from Bournemouth in time for the game.

Local paper says this is a done deal.
He hasn't played much for Bournemouth but had a good season at Swansea previously.