Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

50 years ago today

by Sutekh » 03 Feb 2023 10:18

Anyone go to this one?

3 February 1973

FA Cup 4th Round

Roker Park – Attendance 33,913

Sunderland 1 Reading 1 ( Chappell 13’ – Tueart 37’).

Sunderland: Montgomery, Malone, Guthrie, Watson, Young, Horswill, Kerr (Ashurst), Porterfield, Tueart, Lathan, Hughes.

Reading: Death, Dixon, Youlden, Wagstaffe T, Hulme, Wagstaffe B (Butler), Cumming, Chappell, Bell, Hunt, Habbitt

Dulwich Royal

Re: 50 years ago today

by Dulwich Royal » 03 Feb 2023 11:05

No, but I was at the replay at a very packed in Elm Park

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Feb 2023 17:08

Dulwich Royal No, but I was at the replay at a very packed in Elm Park

Same here; heaving that night.....

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Feb 2023 17:09

Sutekh Anyone go to this one?

3 February 1973

FA Cup 4th Round

Roker Park – Attendance 33,913

Sunderland 1 Reading 1 ( Chappell 13’ – Tueart 37’).

Sunderland: Montgomery, Malone, Guthrie, Watson, Young, Horswill, Kerr (Ashurst), Porterfield, Tueart, Lathan, Hughes.

Reading: Death, Dixon, Youlden, Wagstaffe T, Hulme, Wagstaffe B (Butler), Cumming, Chappell, Bell, Hunt, Habbitt

Wasn't it Habbin, rather than Habbitt?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Feb 2023 17:14

Dickie Habbin, even.

Our hero of the day…at least before a ‘Friday’

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Feb 2023 17:55

I remember being taken to the replay at Elm Park. Did we lose 3-1? I have a better memory of watching Sunderland beat Leeds 1-0 in the final and Bob Stokoe celebrating at the end. The days when winning the FA Cup was massive.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Feb 2023 18:07

blythspartan I remember being taken to the replay at Elm Park. Did we lose 3-1? I have a better memory of watching Sunderland beat Leeds 1-0 in the final and Bob Stokoe celebrating at the end. The days when winning the FA Cup was massive.
yeah, I remember being rather ‘bemused’ at that time. I was an ardent Leeds United fan back then :oops: dunno why …Leeds were a great set of players tbf

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 03 Feb 2023 18:15

Lest not forget the scorer of the winning goal in the Final that year, who was also in the Mackems line up against us, went on to be a future Reading manager!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Feb 2023 18:20

grey_squirrel Lest not forget the scorer of the winning goal in the Final that year, who was also in the Mackems line up against us, went on to be a future Reading manager!
indeed, I even had to endure watching him as a Reading player :lol:

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Feb 2023 18:53

I've seen highlights of this game kicking around on you tube somewhere.

Our goal was a near post header from a corner.

Steve Death played a blinder in the second half.

My dad and brother went to the replay (I was too young for evening games then) yes we lost 3-1, outclassed by all accounts, but we were 4th tier at the time.

Was the same year Sunderland beat Leeds (Bremner, Lorimer, Revie era) in the final, our former manager Ian Porterfield scored the winning goal.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Feb 2023 19:17

AthleticoSpizz
blythspartan I remember being taken to the replay at Elm Park. Did we lose 3-1? I have a better memory of watching Sunderland beat Leeds 1-0 in the final and Bob Stokoe celebrating at the end. The days when winning the FA Cup was massive.
yeah, I remember being rather ‘bemused’ at that time. I was an ardent Leeds United fan back then :oops: dunno why …Leeds were a great set of players tbf

Leeds had a quality team back in the 70s. Alan Clarke was always a hero of mine after watching him score the winner against Arsenal in the 1972 FA Cup final. I can’t remember the year but I remember watching them on the Big Match (I think) when they played all those passes against Southampton. They were a better footballing team than people gave them credit for but had players like Bremner and Hunter who took no prisoners.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Feb 2023 19:30

Yup, Allan Clarke was my hero too…even had a jigsaw of him.

Leeds were Don Revies perfect storm…Lorimer, Gray(s), Madeley, Bremner, Cherry, Jones, gk Harvey, gk Sprake, Hunter, Charlton, Reaney etc etc back when their players were predominantly from the British Isles

As a ten to teens year-old I was sold….Reading were my second team, normally three leagues South

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 03 Feb 2023 23:50

Mr Angry
Dulwich Royal No, but I was at the replay at a very packed in Elm Park

Same here; heaving that night.....

I remember some Sunderland boys playing up in the Tilehurst End that game, and when the Coppers sorted it out the Sunderland boys gave the Coppers attitude, and considering that Police violence seemed acceptable then, it was a bad move. Those Sunderland boys took a massive Police beating, truncheons, fists, boots. Silly boys.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Feb 2023 18:19

AthleticoSpizz Dickie Habbin, even.

Our hero of the day…at least before a ‘Friday’

I spent hours practising how to control a ball on my chest just because of Dick Habbin

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Feb 2023 18:22

AthleticoSpizz Yup, Allan Clarke was my hero too…even had a jigsaw of him.

Leeds were Don Revies perfect storm…Lorimer, Gray(s), Madeley, Bremner, Cherry, Jones, gk Harvey, gk Sprake, Hunter, Charlton, Reaney etc etc back when their players were predominantly from the British Isles

As a ten to teens year-old I was sold….Reading were my second team, normally three leagues South

I was at Palace the day Gary Sprake threw one in from a cross when he started looking at who he was going to distribute to :roll:
Got stood on by Jack Charlton after the game
I would say accidental, but with him you never know

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 04 Feb 2023 19:09

Awesome, I was at Wembley when Billy Bremner and Kevin Keegan had their ‘dust-up’ (both being sent off)

#team Bremner

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Feb 2023 08:41

blythspartan
AthleticoSpizz

Leeds had a quality team back in the 70s. Alan Clarke was always a hero of mine after watching him score the winner against Arsenal in the 1972 FA Cup final. I can’t remember the year but I remember watching them on the Big Match (I think) when they played all those passes against Southampton. They were a better footballing team than people gave them credit for but had players like Bremner and Hunter who took no prisoners.

Peter Lorimer was my favourite at the time, supposedly had the hardest shot in the game, sure they took a measurement of the speed of the ball on one of his shots at the time and it was well past 90mph. Really wouldn’t want to be a keeper facing him from the penalty spot.

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1