The squad in July

644 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The squad in July

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 May 2023 16:06

We probably need 4 midfielders of quality for League One to fill out our squad, we don't even have a natural one in the squad at the moment. McIntyre and Hutchinson are very much make-shift midfielders, unless someone (the manager) decides that's where McIntyre is best and can find a position for him there.

I would definitely want another striker of quality for League One. I like Carroll, I'm just not sure he's going to be hitting 15-20 goals next season, so we could definitely use another quality option there.

Certainly agree on a winger with pace. Azeez is pretty quick, but we need someone else as well, we've missed it since Barrow and we know how lethal he could be to defenders on his day. The goalkeeper isn't a priority position, but one that needs clarifying for sure.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 May 2023 16:25

blythspartan
Royal_jimmy Lumley is fairly local. I wouldn't be upset if he returns but we really shouldn't be going into a league one campaign concerned about shot stoppers. We should be worried about stopping those shots in the first place which is why we got relegated. If we don't solve that issue then we'll just see similar issues in league one away from home.

Prefer to see us invest in midfield personally and then up front. Then if there's spare cash and Lumley is available then let's bring him in.

We definitely need 2 new CMs and 1 or 2 wingers with pace. With regards to strikers do you think Carroll, Clarke, Ehib plus another should be good enough for League One?
2 CMs is seriously under cutting it. 4 is more realistic.

As an example, this year we used Loum, Hendrick, Fornah, Casadei, Hutchinson, McIntyre, Senga, Ince, Craig and Ejaria.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 May 2023 19:28

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Royal_jimmy Lumley is fairly local. I wouldn't be upset if he returns but we really shouldn't be going into a league one campaign concerned about shot stoppers. We should be worried about stopping those shots in the first place which is why we got relegated. If we don't solve that issue then we'll just see similar issues in league one away from home.

Prefer to see us invest in midfield personally and then up front. Then if there's spare cash and Lumley is available then let's bring him in.

We definitely need 2 new CMs and 1 or 2 wingers with pace. With regards to strikers do you think Carroll, Clarke, Ehib plus another should be good enough for League One?

As an example, this year we used Loum, Hendrick, Fornah, Casadei, Hutchinson, McIntyre, Senga, Ince, Craig and Ejaria.

6 of those are still here tbf

But yeah 2 CMs - maybe 3-4 depending on where Craig and Senga are is the absolute priority

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 May 2023 21:31

We definitely need another forward IMO. Whilst Carroll is more than good enough, I'm not convinced he can last the season and there's just not enough experience behind him. Azeez is possibly in the same boat. Potentially more than good enough but fitness is an issue. Obviously, if Meite renewed, that would be awesome but we all know its not going to happen.

As others have said though, we're desparately short of bodies in CM.

I'm not overly worried about the defence if Mbengue renews. I think we have enough there to start the season.

Fezza

by Fezza » 21 May 2023 21:44

From Despair To Where? We definitely need another forward IMO. Whilst Carroll is more than good enough, I'm not convinced he can last the season and there's just not enough experience behind him. Azeez is possibly in the same boat. Potentially more than good enough but fitness is an issue. Obviously, if Meite renewed, that would be awesome but we all know its not going to happen.

I'm not overly worried about the defence if Mbengue renews. I think we have enough there to start the season.

I still believe that the bigger issue is the complete lack of pace in midfield and attack. TInce coming back will help paper over the cracks but we need someone to stretch teams. Defence looks good, up front we're ok, I'd agree that we need bodies in CM and wingers - ideally getting rid of Ejaria.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 May 2023 21:48

Hound
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

But yeah 2 CMs - maybe 3-4 depending on where Craig and Senga are is the absolute priority

Yes, but one is a CB, two are youth players, one has been cut out, another was an AM covering and the final has spent the last 6 months injured.

Min 3 for me, especially given our horrendous injury record.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 May 2023 21:50

From Despair To Where? We definitely need another forward IMO. Whilst Carroll is more than good enough, I'm not convinced he can last the season and there's just not enough experience behind him. Azeez is possibly in the same boat. Potentially more than good enough but fitness is an issue. Obviously, if Meite renewed, that would be awesome but we all know its not going to happen.

Definitely need a striker too.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 May 2023 21:56

Fezza

I still believe that the bigger issue is the complete lack of pace in midfield and attack. TInce coming back will help paper over the cracks but we need someone to stretch teams. Defence looks good, up front we're ok, I'd agree that we need bodies in CM and wingers - ideally getting rid of Ejaria.

Of, I agree we need more pace but we have no grit or creativity in central midfield. I think our priority is a box to box midfielder and a playmaker. If we have any sort of transfer budget, thats where the money needs to be spent. Not sure how much game time Scott Twine is going to get in the Premier League. Would Burnley loan him to League 1? Probably not but he would be great on loan.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 May 2023 23:28

blythspartan

No we need 2 strikers for the amount of games we have coming. If Ince stays he'll bang a few in I expect. Get Sam Smith back and one other striker and we're looking good up top! Give Clarke sub appearances, Ehib can play all cup games and some league ones

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 May 2023 23:35

From Despair To Where?
Fezza

Of, I agree we need more pace but we have no grit or creativity in central midfield. I think our priority is a box to box midfielder and a playmaker. If we have any sort of transfer budget, thats where the money needs to be spent. Not sure how much game time Scott Twine is going to get in the Premier League. Would Burnley loan him to League 1? Probably not but he would be great on loan.

We need a Scott Twine kind of player but there's no chance of him joining us. He'll go somewhere in the championship if Burnley don't have plans for him in their squad.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 22 May 2023 07:11

New manager, fresh start, Ejaria will be perfectly adequate in league 1.

He’s not likely going anywhere so hopefully a reset with management will get him back on the pitch.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 May 2023 08:32

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal 2 CMs is seriously under cutting it. 4 is more realistic.

Yes, but one is a CB, two are youth players, one has been cut out, another was an AM covering and the final has spent the last 6 months injured.

Min 3 for me, especially given our horrendous injury record.

Don’t completely disagree but if Hutch is fit (lolz) him and McIntyre are good back ups

My priorities would be

Cm
Cm
CF
Winger/AM
CM
Winger/AM
CF
GK

Or something like that. And that on the assumption Mbengue signs but Meite doesn’t

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 May 2023 09:04

Probably need to bolster the squad at LB as well. NGW might do pretty well in League One but we need someone else there, preferably not McIntyre just due to a lack of pace and I feel he can be used elsewhere as well.

I get the feeling Ince might be used as a wide player next season, his preferred/best position (according to his own Dad anyway) and that's under the assumption that Meite doesn't sign either. So we could definitely use a winger down the left side, probably two, as well as some creativity in the middle of the park.

In terms of a CF, would anyone consider Ali Al-Hamadi, who scored 10 goals in 19 games for AFC Wimbledon in League Two? Seems to be getting raving reviews in that division, he's only 21, Bowen might know a contact or two from his short-lived time there and he might be relatively inexpensive as well. Always a risk he may end up like McNulty, but do people think he's worth going for?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 May 2023 09:12

YorkshireRoyal99 Probably need to bolster the squad at LB as well. NGW might do pretty well in League One but we need someone else there, preferably not McIntyre just due to a lack of pace and I feel he can be used elsewhere as well.

I get the feeling Ince might be used as a wide player next season, his preferred/best position (according to his own Dad anyway) and that's under the assumption that Meite doesn't sign either. So we could definitely use a winger down the left side, probably two, as well as some creativity in the middle of the park.

In terms of a CF, would anyone consider Ali Al-Hamadi, who scored 10 goals in 19 games for AFC Wimbledon in League Two? Seems to be getting raving reviews in that division, he's only 21, Bowen might know a contact or two from his short-lived time there and he might be relatively inexpensive as well. Always a risk he may end up like McNulty, but do people think he's worth going for?

A scouse Iraqi :? Youth at Tranmere then Swansea but actually started professionally with Wycombe and only joined the Wombles in January on a deal until 2025. Has started brightly there but after only 5 months you probably need more than a random fan to give a proper assessment!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 May 2023 13:42

Hendo
tidus_mi2
Mr Angry What's the story with Puscas?

It appears he has another Year; if so, is he being loaned out again or is there any value in having him back with us?

Genoa got promoted, as part of the deal they are obligated to purchase him, for €4m

There might not be any official confirmation on this until the transfer window opens.

Cheers both.

Great news - not only for the money in but also for his inflated salary out!

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 26 May 2023 12:19

Tom Ince apparently has an active £50k relegation release clause in his contract.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 26 May 2023 12:20

TiagoIlori Tom Ince apparently has an active £50k relegation release clause in his contract.

According to John Cross at the Mirror

https://twitter.com/RFCLatest/status/16 ... 9107657730

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 26 May 2023 12:25

TiagoIlori Tom Ince apparently has an active £50k relegation release clause in his contract.

£50,000? Who the hell agreed to such a small release fee like that? :|

The only way around that now is to offer him a new improved contract, but they'll be a few Championship clubs lining up when they learn he's available for peanuts.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 26 May 2023 12:33

Seems reasonable, particularly if his 3 year deal has a relegation clause that reduces his alleged Championship salary.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 May 2023 12:34

One8Seven1*

£50,000? Who the hell agreed to such a small release fee like that? :|

The only way around that now is to offer him a new improved contract, but they'll be a few Championship clubs lining up when they learn he's available for peanuts.

We had no leverage at all and Ince may well have got a better deal elsewhere, adding a clause like that was likely one of the only ways to sign him. No problem with it to be honest given the circumstances we were working in.

644 posts