Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The squad in July

by NathStPaul » 18 May 2023 13:26

:roll:

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 May 2023 18:13

Orion1871 Ron Benson & Tony Hedges from Plymouth and York on frees?

They’re Third Division players; one of them’s 46!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 May 2023 18:57

I like Scott, Osario and Leavy, they all clearly have some quality, but have to trust the club's judgement on their short-term futures. This isn't a Stam situation where the turnover of managers has been detrimental, they won't have had a stronger advocate than Hunt. None of them really had a route into the first team.

Southwood, personally I would have made it clear to him that he was first choice, but hopefully Jokull or CBC can step up. (I don't have huge amounts of faith in Bouzanis)

Good sign that Meite is at least considering the offer, unlike say Joao. I do think he'll get a better one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 May 2023 19:50

SCIAG I like Scott, Osario and Leavy, they all clearly have some quality, but have to trust the club's judgement on their short-term futures. This isn't a Stam situation where the turnover of managers has been detrimental, they won't have had a stronger advocate than Hunt. None of them really had a route into the first team.

Southwood, personally I would have made it clear to him that he was first choice, but hopefully Jokull or CBC can step up. (I don't have huge amounts of faith in Bouzanis)

Good sign that Meite is at least considering the offer, unlike say Joao. I do think he'll get a better one.

For 20 and 21 year old midfielders to have no path to a first team place with precisely 1 senior midfielder in the squad, who is over 30 and as much a centreback as midfielder, spending the last 6 months injured, is a pretty sad state of affairs for them.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 18 May 2023 21:40

Well Scott's a winger and that's also where Leavy has mostly played. We have lots of wide players, many of them are not exactly old. Osario looks at his best playing behind the striker but he's probably not going to be picked there ahead of Ehib, never mind Ince. He's clearly fallen behind Senga in the pecking order for a more withdrawn spot. All three are competing with Camara.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 18 May 2023 22:02

I'm just sending some DMs to Cesinha and trying to tap him up to join, will let you guys know if it works

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 May 2023 09:09

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG I like Scott, Osario and Leavy, they all clearly have some quality, but have to trust the club's judgement on their short-term futures. This isn't a Stam situation where the turnover of managers has been detrimental, they won't have had a stronger advocate than Hunt. None of them really had a route into the first team.

For 20 and 21 year old midfielders to have no path to a first team place with precisely 1 senior midfielder in the squad, who is over 30 and as much a centreback as midfielder, spending the last 6 months injured, is a pretty sad state of affairs for them.

I think it just comes down to the fact the club don't see them as good enough, which to be fair they probably aren't right now. It is decision time really then as you're coming into senior football at that stage and want to be playing games. Who knows, the club may have wanted to offer them deals but the three of them said they'd rather play first team football elsewhere, as they likely weren't going to make it here.

All showed glimpses of promise on the few occasions they were involved, but in general they didn't make that much of an impression at first team level, U23 level or out on loan.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2023 09:17

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

I think it just comes down to the fact the club don't see them as good enough, which to be fair they probably aren't right now. It is decision time really then as you're coming into senior football at that stage and want to be playing games. Who knows, the club may have wanted to offer them deals but the three of them said they'd rather play first team football elsewhere, as they likely weren't going to make it here.

All showed glimpses of promise on the few occasions they were involved, but in general they didn't make that much of an impression at first team level, U23 level or out on loan.

I think that’s the reality. Someone like Osorio has had loads of games at u23, and whilst clearly a good player just doesn’t seem to have warranted first team opportunities

You can contrast to someone like Ehibhatiomhan or Senga who are both younger I believe and have forced their way into the first team plans

Good luck to them all but I expect it’ll be a a few tiers below where we are now

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 May 2023 12:27

So what is our current squad for 2023/24 in League One... this is what I make it, with italics offered a contract but not yet signed...

GK: Bouzanis, Andresson, Boyce-Clarke
RB: Yiadom, Abrefa
LB: Guiness-Walker, John Clarke, Carson
CB: Holmes, Mbengue, Dorsett
CB: Sarr, McIntyre, Abbey, Stickland
CM: Hutchinson, ????
CM: Senga, ????
AM: Ince,
RW: Azeez, Meite
LW: Camara, Hoilett
ST: Carroll, Ehibhatiomhan, Jahmari Clarke(?)

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 19 May 2023 13:12

Snowflake Royal So what is our current squad for 2023/24 in League One... this is what I make it, with italics offered a contract but not yet signed...

We've obviously got areas where we need to improve the squad, but that's a very good starting point ahead of next season.

If we can get all of those being offered a contract signed, I think we'll need three central midfielders, a winger/attacking midfielder (depending on the system we'll be using) and a couple of strikers; replace anyone who we sell/don't end up extending. It would be good to get another left-back too, but isn't the priority in my view. I think we only need to make a net six to eight signings looking at that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2023 14:28

Snowflake Royal So what is our current squad for 2023/24 in League One... this is what I make it, with italics offered a contract but not yet signed...

I’m surprised you forgot Ejaria :)

Craig you can add I think.

Think we look ok. Need a couple of CMs, a CF and we’re not miles off. Back 4 should be ok, attacking mid options ok but shallow

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 May 2023 14:32

Clyde1998

We've obviously got areas where we need to improve the squad, but that's a very good starting point ahead of next season.

If we can get all of those being offered a contract signed, I think we'll need three central midfielders, a winger/attacking midfielder (depending on the system we'll be using) and a couple of strikers; replace anyone who we sell/don't end up extending. It would be good to get another left-back too, but isn't the priority in my view. I think we only need to make a net six to eight signings looking at that.

4 left backs? NGW is pretty experienced now. At that level he is fine for first choice with the other 2 backing up

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 19 May 2023 15:14

Hound
Clyde1998

4 left backs? NGW is pretty experienced now. At that level he is fine for first choice with the other 2 backing up

It depends on how good the club believes Clarke and Carson are. Carson was out on loan in the National League North and the Northern Premier League from Accrington last season before we signed him in February, which doesn't make him seem like a player who'll be in the first team next season. Clarke has only played 113 minutes of professional football, so it's hard to judge how good he actually is at the moment, although it's possible he's good enough to be a back up, with McIntyre being the alternative left-back should we need someone better to play there.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 May 2023 15:23

Hound

I’m surprised you forgot Ejaria :)

Craig you can add I think.

Think we look ok. Need a couple of CMs, a CF and we’re not miles off. Back 4 should be ok, attacking mid options ok but shallow

Who? :wink:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 May 2023 15:24

This is what I make it, with italics offered a contract but not yet signed... thanks Hound.

CM: Hutchinson, Craig(?), ????
AM: Ince, Ejaria

So currently starting XI would be something like:

..................Bouzanis
Yiadom, Holmes, Sarr, Guiness-Walker
......Hutchinson, McIntyre
Azeez,......... Ince,............... Ejaria
...................Carroll

Not bad.

Weymouth Royal

by Weymouth Royal » 19 May 2023 15:32

CBC ahead of Bouz.

Add some good loans and we'll shape up ok.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 19 May 2023 15:43

What's the story with Puscas?

It appears he has another Year; if so, is he being loaned out again or is there any value in having him back with us?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 May 2023 15:45

Mr Angry What's the story with Puscas?

It appears he has another Year; if so, is he being loaned out again or is there any value in having him back with us?

Genoa got promoted, as part of the deal they are obligated to purchase him, for €4m

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 19 May 2023 15:45

Definitely needs more depth and quality in certain areas, but it's something to work from at least.

I do think the defence needs changing in some way. Whether it be personnel, shape, overall system etc. We went from being wide open with Pauno and leaking goals, to far more structured and defensive with Ince, and still leaking goals*.

So I don't know whether it is the system, whether either Ince's or Pauno's didn't suit our players in a defensive position, or whether we need different/better personnel to shore up our weaknesses. I know our defenders are slow, but pace isn't everything and not many CB's are lightning quick, maybe we need somebody who can read the game well and is generally good with their positioning and body shape.

I don't think any of our CB's are poor individually (even at lower end Championship level let alone League One), but maybe we do need to move one or two on and replace them with players who can shore up weak points somewhere. I thought this is what Ince and the team did in the summer, bringing in big, experienced CB's in Hutchinson and Sarr which, on paper, you'd have hoped would have helped with us defending crosses (even though it ultimately didn't effect us that much).

* I know we were only losing by the odd goal towards the back end of the season, but overall we ended up with the 3rd worst defence in the league.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 19 May 2023 15:48

YorkshireRoyal99 Definitely needs more depth and quality in certain areas, but it's something to work from at least.

I do think the defence needs changing in some way. Whether it be personnel, shape, overall system etc. We went from being wide open with Pauno and leaking goals, to far more structured and defensive with Ince, and still leaking goals*.

So I don't know whether it is the system, whether either Ince's or Pauno's didn't suit our players in a defensive position, or whether we need different/better personnel to shore up our weaknesses. I know our defenders are slow, but pace isn't everything and not many CB's are lightning quick, maybe we need somebody who can read the game well and is generally good with their positioning and body shape.

I don't think any of our CB's are poor individually (even at lower end Championship level let alone League One), but maybe we do need to move one or two on and replace them with players who can shore up weak points somewhere. I thought this is what Ince and the team did in the summer, bringing in big, experienced CB's in Hutchinson and Sarr which, on paper, you'd have hoped would have helped with us defending crosses (even though it ultimately didn't effect us that much).

* I know we were only losing by the odd goal towards the back end of the season, but overall we ended up with the 3rd worst defence in the league.

I don't think all the blame can be placed on the defence for the amount of goals conceded, we've just had a piss poor midfield for the past couple seasons, naturally you'll concede more when you're defending most of the match.

644 posts