League One - Your Expectations?

161 posts
PATRIQT

Re: League One - Your Expectations?

by PATRIQT » 05 May 2023 12:45

Sadly I wouldn't stick with Noel Hunt next season. We definitely need a proven manager who has a promotion or two under his belt from this level. Wellens ticks all the boxes if we can tempt him.

I honestly think if we don't get the recruitment and manager right this summer, we'll be in another relegation fight next season. So, zero expectations, but hopeful of top 6, and hopeful Dai sells up and fcuks of ASAP.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 May 2023 22:28

Hound Noted Genoa can secure promotion tomorrow if results go the right way, currently 6 clear with 3 games to go

So add that money to the pot, possibly something from an Olise transfer, maybe sell off ince and we should actually be one of the better off teams in the division

Do think rather than taking 3 years to rebuild or whatever, next year May well be our best chance for those reasons

This. I can't help but think we have a good chance of bouncing straight back if we recruit well and we can have a higher wage bill to turn over than many rivals.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 May 2023 22:34

NathStPaul Millsy and Jimmy

Love this :lol:

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 05 May 2023 22:49

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal Goal for me is better season than recently with promotion within 3 seasons.

Minimum expectation is 14th next season. Ideally pushing for POs / autos.

Start rebuilding the club on a sustainable footing with a medium term plan rather than short term reacting and only thinking of the immediate season and problem.

Hoping to see plenty of youth players breaking through.

Yeah I think that's a sensible point of view, I also don't want to attack anyone's point of view but even if we recruit terribly I don't think we'd ever be at risk of relegation.

Relegation is easier than promotion as 4 sides go down

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 06 May 2023 07:49

Owner: Zero football knowledge, multiple terrible managerial appointments and the club has seen nothing but gradual decline since he took over.

Head of football: Zero experience in a similar role and in his short time has overseen a relegation in the clubs academy status, relegation for the men's first team and a more than likely relegation for the women's first team.

Manager: N/A

Head of sports science: Head of footballs son, never had a job not given to him by his dad.

Squad: 16? Players. 3 of whom will probably miss 6 months of next season injured and another 3 of whom have barely started 3 league games put together

Support: Average attendance 14k? Will probably drop to 10k which will be middle of the road league 1.

Can't see any reason why we won't be pushing for automatics tbh

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 06 May 2023 08:39

Royal_jimmy This. I can't help but think we have a good chance of bouncing straight back if we recruit well

If we could recruit well we wouldn't be in this mess.

Hopefully the club won't got down the spectacularly failing method of picking players suggested by agents ever again, and if so, our recruitment should be better.

It will be almost impossible to build a promotion squad from free transfers though, so we'd be looking at paying out a fair bit in transfer fees to build such a squad. A lot could depend on the business plan we apparently have to agree to this season, after breaking FFP again.

I think at best, we could get in the play-offs, but with our record, that's something of a poisoned chalice. At worst, another drop is possible, but only if our business plan restricts us too much. I'm expecting a kind of Charlton-esque season of mediocrity.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 08 May 2023 20:13

The sooner the club appoints a manager and we do our business the more likely we'll be successful in league one. We can't leave our business to the last minute.

Want to see us bring in 7-8 signings by July at the latest and ideally have all our business done before the season begins.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 May 2023 12:08

I had a dream we played Cheltenham on the first day of the season and we won 6-1. Then I woke up

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2023 12:11

Were your sheets soiled?

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 26 May 2023 12:18

Ask again when we have a new manager and we've seen some recruitment, but right now I'm actually expecting another relegation battle.

ReadingGlasses

by ReadingGlasses » 26 May 2023 13:46

It's so up in the air, we have no idea what the squad or tactics will be like. Anything from collapsing to relegation to bouncing straight back up is possible.

My gut feeling though is that it will end up being one of those campaigns where there's some mild hope of a play off place for a while, and then eventually they settle in to somewhere mid table. Crowds will initially be decent, especially if there's an exciting new manager, but then quickly drop off over the winter when it gets colder and the novelty factor has faded away.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 May 2023 15:13

I'm happy to again stick my neck out and say(bar points deductions) our chance of a second relegation is no higher than 1 in 100.

I'll be amazed if we get relegated to L2 within two seasons.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 26 May 2023 15:16

I think we'll be exactly like Charlton

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 May 2023 15:45

John Smith I think we'll be exactly like Charlton

I hope not

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 May 2023 16:55

Snowflake Royal I'm happy to again stick my neck out and say(bar points deductions) our chance of a second relegation is no higher than 1 in 100.

I'll be amazed if we get relegated to L2 within two seasons.

I'd say if we go down again it would be next season, unless we are somehow stuck with another tight wage limit for several years.

Without knowing what sort of budget we'll have, it's difficult to predict. If we have a budget that allows us to be competitive, then only hopeless recruitment would see us go down.

If I had to bet on anything, I'd say mid-table, maybe just edging top half, but not seriously in play-off contention.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 26 May 2023 17:14

Still thinking we can go for a play off position, but depends on the situation of the club and the budget we have for next season. If we have a good budget that allows us to push for the play offs, then we should certainly be expecting to be there. If it's less and the club say that we shouldn't be expecting anything higher, then that can change. Obviously the manager and shape of the squad will impact expectations as well.

But if Derby can go within 1 game of reaching the play offs given their situation last season, then there is no reason why that shouldn't be a realistic aim for us. We've got an owner with money he's willing to spend, we've got a structured recruitment team now and we might have one of the better budgets for the league (unless someone says differently), not to mention the facilities we have. A lot to sort out, but it's not a quality league or anything outside the top 8/9 teams. Anything below that, for me, is an underachievement. Unless that's what we budget for.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 May 2023 20:16

Depends on squad...if Ince is on a release clause are Holmes, Yiadom and McIntyre also?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 May 2023 20:50

YorkshireRoyal99 But if Derby can go within 1 game of reaching the play offs given their situation last season, then there is no reason why that shouldn't be a realistic aim for us.

I think Derby getting nearly 30,000 every would give them a rather bigger budget than we'll have.

Derby also went down with a far better team than we did, thanks to their 21 point deduction.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 May 2023 07:37

tmesis
YorkshireRoyal99 But if Derby can go within 1 game of reaching the play offs given their situation last season, then there is no reason why that shouldn't be a realistic aim for us.

I think Derby getting nearly 30,000 every would give them a rather bigger budget than we'll have.

Derby also went down with a far better team than we did, thanks to their 21 point deduction.

They were better but only 5pts better on the pitch.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 May 2023 08:15

Is this getting to be the most depressing thread ever? Jeez - take some happy pills!

161 posts