538 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The dedicated Chris Wilder thread

by Snowflake Royal » 25 May 2023 09:50

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Whilst I can see an argument for this and can see your wider argument in the rest of the post, I still wouldn’t necessarily agree with this. As an alternative, I yearn for the day we have a manager who learns from mistakes and chooses a style based on the players, as opposed to choosing players based off a style. I think that could be more indicative of a younger manager learning the trade

Take Ipswich as an example, perhaps the club most similar to our fate in recent years (playoff failures, then dropping down the table season by season before inevitably dropping). Two “experienced” managers in Lambert and Cook (plenty of promotion credentials there) yet two successive 11th place finishes. McKenna’s first gig, 2nd with 98 points

In saying that, Wilder would be an excellent choice but it’s always good to broaden the horizons and keep your options open (without going overboard, Gomes etc)

I think someone experienced needs to lay some ground work. We need to get back in shape then, we can look at inexperience...would Mckenna have done any good without the stabilising top half finishes?

Evidence suggests there wasn’t much ground work accomplished beforehand. McKenna took over a bloated squad (as an example, Cook had made 19 summer signings in the previous summer window). Didn’t set the world on fire straight away but was clear there was something worth persevering with and Ipswich are reaping the rewards now

From a personal perspective, given the expected turnover of players and the needed clean slate, now would be a logical period to give an up and coming coach a crack at turning the club around again. Think they’d be given more patience than someone like Wilder, who will come with huge expectations (especially after two disappointing stints in a row). Appreciate others will see it different mind, especially as we’ve appointed a mixture of experience/non experience for around a decade now to little success

We've been giving inexperienced coaches a go for ages and failing. Let's try something different for a change.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 May 2023 09:59

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal I think someone experienced needs to lay some ground work. We need to get back in shape then, we can look at inexperience...would Mckenna have done any good without the stabilising top half finishes?

Evidence suggests there wasn’t much ground work accomplished beforehand. McKenna took over a bloated squad (as an example, Cook had made 19 summer signings in the previous summer window). Didn’t set the world on fire straight away but was clear there was something worth persevering with and Ipswich are reaping the rewards now

From a personal perspective, given the expected turnover of players and the needed clean slate, now would be a logical period to give an up and coming coach a crack at turning the club around again. Think they’d be given more patience than someone like Wilder, who will come with huge expectations (especially after two disappointing stints in a row). Appreciate others will see it different mind, especially as we’ve appointed a mixture of experience/non experience for around a decade now to little success

We've been giving inexperienced coaches a go for ages and failing. Let's try something different for a change.
Not young up and coming coaches who know the English game/culture/language. Think the last ones were Alan Pardew, Brendan Rogers and Brian McDermott..... maybe I'm stretching the definition of young here, but basically first time managers with recent experience of the game

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 May 2023 10:20

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal I think someone experienced needs to lay some ground work. We need to get back in shape then, we can look at inexperience...would Mckenna have done any good without the stabilising top half finishes?

Stam was successful for a season and was a couple of kicks of a football away from being in potentially a miles different/better circumstance than we have been over the last couple of years.

Take the point about maybe managers with little experience of the English game, but I don't necessarily mind someone who has coached in England and fancies stepping into management. It depends if the club see those people as capable to do the job, but then that goes without saying for any manager I suppose.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 May 2023 10:24

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Stam was successful for a season and was a couple of kicks of a football away from being in potentially a miles different/better circumstance than we have been over the last couple of years.

Take the point about maybe managers with little experience of the English game, but I don't necessarily mind someone who has coached in England and fancies stepping into management. It depends if the club see those people as capable to do the job, but then that goes without saying for any manager I suppose.

At least there's some respect for the judgment of Mark Bowen now which is more than we've had in the club since probably Brian came back!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 25 May 2023 10:29

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal We've been giving inexperienced coaches a go for ages and failing. Let's try something different for a change.

At least there's some respect for the judgment of Mark Bowen now which is more than we've had in the club since probably Brian came back!

Yeah it goes without saying really, I think we are reasonably confident that Bowen will make good decisions, maybe not all the time but at least if we are trying to do the right things, then we can't really complain. Ultimately, you don't know how well anyone will do in any job until they actually come in and do it.

That's part of the reason why I'm not personally that bothered where our next manager comes from, be it someone like Wilder, possibly someone stepping into management for the first time or some Portuguese manager from Saudi Arabia again (although understandably this will be unpopular). Mainly because I've got more trust in the people at the club to make the correct decisions. Although it could all change very quickly at the same time.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 May 2023 10:32

Forbury Lion
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

Not young up and coming coaches who know the English game/culture/language. Think the last ones were Alan Pardew, Brendan Rogers and Brian McDermott..... maybe I'm stretching the definition of young here, but basically first time managers with recent experience of the game

None of them had recent experience of the game if you mean playing, and two weren't first time managers, so great work there Forbes.

Noel Hunt fits your profile though.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 26 May 2023 21:01

Its happening.

Announcement incoming.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 26 May 2023 21:13

Yep, Harrison Delbridge and Alex Grant is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 26 May 2023 21:44

NathStPaul Its happening.

Announcement incoming.

On Tuesday, contract agreed, 2 diff twitter sources

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 26 May 2023 22:32

Amazing if true

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 26 May 2023 22:58

Announce delbridge +++++

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 May 2023 23:43

If this happens, is it the most exciting managerial appointment in our history? Taking into account our current position and rock bottom expectations.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 May 2023 07:01

Explain again someone, even if it is true, why should we get excited about two unknown Australian defenders?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 May 2023 09:12

What's the source? Really hope it's true

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 27 May 2023 11:45

Mid Sussex Royal
NathStPaul Its happening.

Announcement incoming.

On Tuesday, contract agreed, 2 diff twitter sources

Heard the same.
Presumably it has been left until all the play-off games have finished.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2023 13:11

Surely more likely after the BH so the club media machine will be fully staffed....

This would be amazing news. Definitely most exciting management appointment since Adkins, maybe Rodgers

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 May 2023 14:17

……and would surpass “the best that we could hope for”

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 27 May 2023 14:52

Snowflake Royal Surely more likely after the BH so the club media machine will be fully staffed....

This would be amazing news. Definitely most exciting management appointment since Adkins, maybe Rodgers

I was relatively excited about Stam when it happened. Thought it was brave from the club.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 May 2023 16:41

Chris Wilder's barmy army sounds good :D :D

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 27 May 2023 17:44

James Earnshaw is saying nothing is imminent with regards to Wilder and he’s usually pretty accurate. I can’t see it happening tbh. It’s just all twitter frenzy, file with Tommy Smith.

538 posts