Local journalist

Delboy

Local journalist

by Delboy » 25 May 2023 12:06

Any idea when Johnathan low will be replaced been nothing on Get Reading for weeks

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Local journalist

by NathStPaul » 25 May 2023 12:07

You rely on Get Reading for your club news? Wow.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 May 2023 12:52

Delboy Any idea when Johnathan low will be replaced been nothing on Get Reading for weeks

Why change? It's currently on the best run of quality for Reading FC news and articles since Charlie.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 25 May 2023 12:54

No news is better than JLow news.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 25 May 2023 13:22

Delboy Any idea when Johnathan low will be replaced been nothing on Get Reading for weeks

There's no replacement, he was made redundant, there was quite a few Sports staff members on Reach plc papers who posted similar messages on the same day. One from the Bristol City reporter as well.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 May 2023 13:42

If it's anything like the news articles, I think they just reply on random probably unpaid and untrained freelancers to write something click baitey and probably pay them based on number of clicks.

Guess it's to be expected from a free online "newspaper", Bring back the proper Evening Post (in digital format/pdf), charge us for it and pay for quality content writers..... although by now the only things left of the Reading EP are the name and the archives.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 May 2023 13:57

Forbury Lion Bring back the proper Evening Post (in digital format/pdf), charge us for it and pay for quality content writers.....

Can you cite any examples of this format for local news being a commercial success anywhere?

Or are you just wistfully longing for the "good old days"

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 May 2023 14:14

Green
Forbury Lion Bring back the proper Evening Post (in digital format/pdf), charge us for it and pay for quality content writers.....

Can you cite any examples of this format for local news being a commercial success anywhere?

The way they do it in Norwich is fans sign up for a dedicated sports app from the local paper, mainly based around Norwich City, which is actually very good and people pay a subscription amount. It seems to work quite well although Norwich do have twice the amount of fans we have which would make a difference to the commercial success of it or not.

They do have several good reporters/writers as well who are worth paying to read, which obviously helps.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 May 2023 16:07

Norfolk Royal
Green

The way they do it in Norwich is fans sign up for a dedicated sports app from the local paper, mainly based around Norwich City, which is actually very good and people pay a subscription amount. It seems to work quite well although Norwich do have twice the amount of fans we have which would make a difference to the commercial success of it or not.

They do have several good reporters/writers as well who are worth paying to read, which obviously helps.

I'd take that for a fiver a month or less if it carried ads. Centred on Reading FC but also covering Maidenhead, Slough, Bracknell etc.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 25 May 2023 16:08

Sutekh
Norfolk Royal
Green Can you cite any examples of this format for local news being a commercial success anywhere?

I'd take that for a fiver a month or less if it carried ads. Centred on Reading FC but also covering Maidenhead, Slough, Bracknell etc.

Isn't that just Football In Berkshire? Those guys cover pretty much everything around here.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 May 2023 21:08

Sutekh
Norfolk Royal
Green Can you cite any examples of this format for local news being a commercial success anywhere?

See loads of people say that, and like you Sutekh I'd say the same.

The reality is there's so much content out there, and very few have made this work at a national (the athletic) never mind local level.

I think it's a crying shame that journalism isn't something we value highly enough to pay for, and I'm not sure what the solution is. But if someone were offering what you're suggesting, I'm less than convinced it'd be a roaring success.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 May 2023 21:09

NathStPaul
Sutekh
Norfolk Royal

Isn't that just Football In Berkshire? Those guys cover pretty much everything around here.

How about North Hampshire?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 May 2023 10:10

NathStPaul You rely on Get Reading for your club news? Wow.

:lol: This

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 May 2023 11:37

Most of what gets posted is cut and paste from other sources these days. Interviews get dissected into multiple articles spanning several days. In reality there's little to say between matches.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 27 May 2023 12:15

Noticed a fair chunk of the Reading journalists who left recently, don’t appear to be in the industry anymore. Not sure if it’s common, but would be intrigued to know why.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 May 2023 13:01

I'd imagine it's because few of them are actually journalists in the traditional sense, just bloggers who freelance on the side for a publisher desparate for content.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 May 2023 20:52

You need a social media "warrior" who is a Reading fan who wouldn't mind extending their portfolio to be paid a pittance for some of the general ramblings they produce.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 May 2023 20:54

Sutekh You need a social media "warrior" who is a Reading fan who wouldn't mind extending their portfolio to be paid a pittance for some of the general ramblings they produce.
step forward Ian Royal

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 May 2023 21:03

Are you looking to kill off Get Reading for good?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 May 2023 21:15

If I had to be professional writing about RFC I wouldn’t be able to say anything.

Bugger that.

You want good quality writing about RFC go to Vision or stranded. If you want poorly researched stupid clickbait nothing hire DD