About the Third Tier

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: About the Third Tier

by Jackson Corner » 30 May 2023 21:10

I maybe the only one here who traveled to Carlisle the last we played them! A midweek game on the old Smith’s coaches. A 12 hour round trip arrived back in Reading around 4am and went to college that day. Needless to say I won’t be going this season.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 May 2023 21:27

I watched them play at Brunton Park in 2016. Remember not getting back until about midnight as my train to Euston ended up being an hour late

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 30 May 2023 22:14

Localish one for me. About 2hrs up the M6.

Hopefully going to get to Fleetwood as well. With my postcode, I've got a decent chance of getting in the home end if the away allocation sells out.

Been to every other ground in the league bar Cheltenham and Shrewsbury although I've been to Gay Meadow.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 May 2023 07:11

Hoping I'll have a decent chance of an away game or two next year - MiL lives within an hour or so of Shrewsbury, Burton, Derby, Port Vale, Bolton and Wigan. Only a couple of hours to Fleetwood and Blackpool - so hopefully at least one will coincide with a visit.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2023 08:38

From Despair To Where? Localish one for me. About 2hrs up the M6.

Hopefully going to get to Fleetwood as well. With my postcode, I've got a decent chance of getting in the home end if the away allocation sells out.

Been to every other ground in the league bar Cheltenham and Shrewsbury although I've been to Gay Meadow.

At least you'll be going the right way up the M6, nearly everything beyond Knutsford is a right pain.

Having said that, I might make the effort for Shrewsbury away. I quite like the look of the ground and it's modern. Depends if I get chance to go.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 May 2023 09:33

I've done the run up to Scotland from West Yorkshire and always cut across to Kirkby Longsdale. Nice drive but can be an absolute ballache if you're on a deadline.

Brunton Park is half a mile off the motorway so although Carlisle is 120 miles away, for me, all but about 3 miles of that is motorway.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 May 2023 10:41

I do the top half of the M6 regularly. Anywhere north of Preston is generally clear - and the scenery is stunning.

And the A66 from Scotch Corner (Darlington) to Penrith is a fast road with good stretches of dual carriageway - only problem is you join the M6 north of Tebay Services, which are the best motorway services in the UK.

(Weather permitting on all of the above...)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2023 11:30

Agree there is some picturesque views running through from the Pennines, probably the outer skirts on the M6 though. Been to the lakes a few times, might go again in the next month or two.

I've never done Tebay Services, but will probably do so if I ever head that far up. The few times I head up into Scotland it's usually Todhills services I go for as it's on the border.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 31 May 2023 12:05

If Tebay ends up being a bit far, worth popping into Gloucester Services for anyone passing. Same principle - all farm shop products, good food. Scenery isn't as nice, but the mounds make you feel like you are visiting Teletubby land so that's a bonus(?)!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 31 May 2023 12:22

Surprising that Blackpool's highest transfer fee was 1.2m given that they've been in the PL in recent times. I guess that's why the owners go so much stick though.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 May 2023 12:35

notloyalenuffroyal If Tebay ends up being a bit far, worth popping into Gloucester Services for anyone passing. Same principle - all farm shop products, good food. Scenery isn't as nice, but the mounds make you feel like you are visiting Teletubby land so that's a bonus(?)!

Run by the same company.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 31 May 2023 12:36

Elm Park Kid Surprising that Blackpool's highest transfer fee was 1.2m given that they've been in the PL in recent times. I guess that's why the owners go so much stick though.

They had the odious Oyston brothers who took all the Pl money away with them.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 May 2023 15:26

YorkshireRoyal99 Agree there is some picturesque views running through from the Pennines, probably the outer skirts on the M6 though. Been to the lakes a few times, might go again in the next month or two.

I've never done Tebay Services, but will probably do so if I ever head that far up. The few times I head up into Scotland it's usually Todhills services I go for as it's on the border.

Tebay's great. Doesn't look anything special as you drive in, its a car park with a building attached but the food that's sold in the restaurant can be bought in the farm shop across the lobby and its all locally sourced. None of the identikit franchise outlets.

Last time I went there, I had a cooked breakfast and said "No toast, I'm gluten free".

5 minutes later, the manager came to my table with a plate of toast. He'd gone to the farm shop and bought a gluten free loaf.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 May 2023 16:06

From Despair To Where?
YorkshireRoyal99 Agree there is some picturesque views running through from the Pennines, probably the outer skirts on the M6 though. Been to the lakes a few times, might go again in the next month or two.

Tebay's great. Doesn't look anything special as you drive in, its a car park with a building attached but the food that's sold in the restaurant can be bought in the farm shop across the lobby and its all locally sourced. None of the identikit franchise outlets.

Last time I went there, I had a cooked breakfast and said "No toast, I'm gluten free".

5 minutes later, the manager came to my table with a plate of toast. He'd gone to the farm shop and bought a gluten free loaf.

Isn't is smart when you find people going that extra mile...

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2023 16:11

From Despair To Where?

I'll remember the name next time I'm on my way up.

Likely the only reason I've not been before is because it's not that far from where I am. It's only a 90 minute journey (64 miles) and usually if I'm going up towards Glasgow (or really anywhere in Scotland) I prefer stopping once I reach the border just to stretch my legs a bit and get whatever I need.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 31 May 2023 16:14

YorkshireRoyal99
From Despair To Where?

Likely the only reason I've not been before is because it's not that far from where I am. It's only a 90 minute journey (64 miles) and usually if I'm going up towards Glasgow (or really anywhere in Scotland) I prefer stopping once I reach the border just to stretch my legs a bit and get whatever I need.

Even have own website...

https://www.tebayservices.com

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2023 16:19

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99
From Despair To Where?

Even have own website...

https://www.tebayservices.com

Just seen that as I was looking at how far away it was. Might go to Carlisle away just to stop off there. :lol:

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Jun 2023 13:03

I don't think this has still sunk in, maybe it's because we've been out of tier 3 for 20 years but it just feels strange, even wrong to see us in the division.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 01 Jun 2023 14:03

From Despair To Where?

I'll second Tebay; really doesn't feel like a service station. The only similar services I'm aware of is Gloucester - which is owned by the same company IIRC.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Jun 2023 17:56

Dirk Gently I do the top half of the M6 regularly. Anywhere north of Preston is generally clear - and the scenery is stunning.

And the A66 from Scotch Corner (Darlington) to Penrith is a fast road with good stretches of dual carriageway - only problem is you join the M6 north of Tebay Services, which are the best motorway services in the UK.

(Weather permitting on all of the above...)

Didn’t rate my sausage roll there.