Applause

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 18 Jul 2006 19:05

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yahoops

by Yahoops » 18 Jul 2006 21:06

phil in cornwall Southampton have a reputation for always being kind and generous.

We'll really miss them.

Millwall too.

I hope the lower divisions appreciate their skills as much as we did.

You're killing me! :D

Boston Royal

by Boston Royal » 18 Jul 2006 21:34

Stoke fans were flooding the Rivals message board (and a few were on here) congratulating us. They liked the fact that a small club had achieved huge success on limited resources, and wanted us to be an inspiration for them. We'd got promoted and relegated in lockstep with them in previous seasons, so some had a soft spot for Reading.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 18 Jul 2006 21:35

Blunts fans didn't shower us with plaudits, a few coins maybe, but no plaudits. Got a few comments from Leeds fans in the car park at Elland Road, mainly about introducing my face to their fists, doubtful they could part their knuckles from the pavement, though.

The Stoke fans were a decent enough bunch. I suppose 11 successive seasons of playing them helped, sharing our ups and downs as well as helping them stay up in 2003.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 18 Jul 2006 21:54

Few Cardiff fans stayed behind after the final whistle at Ninian Park and congratulated us as we walked down the terrace.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 18 Jul 2006 22:40

1 of the best compliments was from a Wolves fan who revealed we were the 1st side to actually take the game to them at Molineux that season and how impressive we were. They accepted we were a class above the rest which is always nice to hear.

Tilehurst Road
Location: And yeah I'd like to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from wok-ingham

by Tilehurst Road » 19 Jul 2006 00:34

Jay
Seal
Jay
pooandwee Leicester fans were brilliant in their appreciation.
Fair play to them

They were superb towards us and the guy on the PA, with what he said etc, brought a tear to the eye.

It was then, for me, that promotion felt real.

Not sh1t, we'd just been promoted.

No shit! But the announcer said his piece and the Leicester fans standing ovation, all before kick off. HTH
all before kick off?

FWIW, I didn't hear anything the announcer or Leicester fans said/did, I was too busy celebrating our promotion. :roll:

Badger Finger I work with a couple of Leicester STHs now. All say we were the best team they've played in years... (Which is weird, as were mundane a best at the Walkers)
And considering they had Premiership football there 3 seasons ago. :?

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 19 Jul 2006 01:11

For me, what got me was the level of applause. I think the press gave up very quickly in their mission to critisise us and in the end were very graceful in what they said. I remember 1 article on New Years' Day I think it was about how Madejski built the club up. It was then when people really started to realise the strength of this side that we had playing for us week in, week out. We played, good, attacking football which at times was very fluent. We made the game look great, and were a fantastic advert for Championship football. I believe the Football League Cheif Execs were regular visitors to the Madejski. When we did achieve promotion at Leicester, my phone recieved numerous phone calls from fans of other clubs saying how nice it was to see that we were up. A break from the normal few they said. Still didn't stop me from barackading the Leeds fan after the Play-off final defeat :lol:

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 19 Jul 2006 09:15

Leicester's applause before the game was good and quite wierd and afterwards was a nice touch.
On the way back home we stopped at services and were congratulated by Soton, Man City, Southend, and Charlton fans.

poohs pure

Re: Applause

by poohs pure » 19 Jul 2006 10:37

igoe agogo I don't remember any at Leeds or Sheff Wed but did our team get any sort of congratulatory reaction/ovations from opposing fans at away or home last season bearing in mind the records we broke etc...?

Just wondering.

when was the last time we applauded an opposing team off the pitch i wonder?

Tilehurst Road
Location: And yeah I'd like to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from wok-ingham

by Tilehurst Road » 19 Jul 2006 11:42

poohs pure
igoe agogo I don't remember any at Leeds or Sheff Wed but did our team get any sort of congratulatory reaction/ovations from opposing fans at away or home last season bearing in mind the records we broke etc...?

Just wondering.

I'd imagine it was when we last played a team of record breakers who'd achieved promotion in one of the quickest ever post-war times at our ground. :roll:

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 19 Jul 2006 18:45

Tilehurst Road
poohs pure

Just wondering.

I'd imagine it was when we last played a team of record breakers who'd achieved promotion in one of the quickest ever post-war times at our ground. :roll:

the point i was actually trying to make was are we the sort of fans that would do this?

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 19 Jul 2006 19:05

poohs pure
Tilehurst Road
poohs pure

Just wondering.

the point i was actually trying to make was are we the sort of fans that would do this?

I couldnt see us doing this

More likely to smash a bottle over a few of their fans head in Fez club while drum and bassing it up, innit

Reading_Royal
Location: 25Mar2006 History in the making - RFC in the promised land!

by Reading_Royal » 19 Jul 2006 19:08

poohs pure
Tilehurst Road
poohs pure

Just wondering.

West Brom a couple of seasons ago and Qpr last season