support to RFC & Seol from Seoul :)

clooneysed

support to RFC & Seol from Seoul :)

by clooneysed » 07 Aug 2006 10:04

hey, royals supporters!
i'm here to share my big thrill with you about Seol's joining for reading fc.. forgive me if my words are wrong.. ;)

actually i've written this message a month ago, but couldn't post it because HNA didn't approved me a member for a long time.

i heard that reading is a historic football club to have made the biggest impact in Championship last season, unfortunately i couldn't watch a match here in Seoul.

now seol is a reading & premereship player, i hope to watch every reading match on tv. sooooo glad. :)

no doubt he's a good player, but i doubt if he'll be on first team every single match. recently he's suffered hard time in the wolves and the national team, seems to be lack of confidence from skin disease and irregular pitches.

as you know he's a left winger, but he's naturally rightfooted, constantly improved his leftfoot skills. so he can switch to the right field as needed. nowadays he seems to feel more comfortable in left positions. ;)

thank you for reading, and good luck to reading! most koreans are watching you.

PS1... i don't know why reading is red-ding not reading (a book)???

PS2... Seol Ki-hyeon is pronounced just like 'SUL'(inSULt) 'GI(ryan GIggs)' 'HYUN'(HYUNdai). HYUN is like HE(means 'that man')+UN(UNplugged). too difficult.

as you know, Seol is his family name, and Ki-hyun is his given name. Koreans say their family name first, but don't say family name alone. we call him "Seol Ki-hyeon" by full name or "Ki-hyeon" by given name, not "Seol" or "Ki-hyeon Seol".

there are so many "Seol"s in Korea, not to mention kim, lee, park. those three names(kim, lee, and park) are about 70% of Korean people's family names.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Re: support to RFC & Seol from Seoul :)

by Only one Trevor Morley » 07 Aug 2006 10:13

clooneysed hey, royals supporters!
i'm here to share my big thrill with you about Seol's joining for reading fc.. forgive me if my words are wrong.. ;)

actually i've written this message a month ago, but couldn't post it because HNA didn't approved me a member for a long time.

i heard that reading is a historic football club to have made the biggest impact in Championship last season, unfortunately i couldn't watch a match here in Seoul.

now seol is a reading & premereship player, i hope to watch every reading match on tv. sooooo glad. :)

no doubt he's a good player, but i doubt if he'll be on first team every single match. recently he's suffered hard time in the wolves and the national team, seems to be lack of confidence from skin disease and irregular pitches.

as you know he's a left winger, but he's naturally rightfooted, constantly improved his leftfoot skills. so he can switch to the right field as needed. nowadays he seems to feel more comfortable in left positions. ;)

PS2... Seol Ki-hyeon is pronounced just like 'SUL'(inSULt) 'GI(ryan GIggs)' 'HYUN'(HYUNdai). HYUN is like HE(means 'that man')+UN(UNplugged). too difficult.

as you know, Seol is his family name, and Ki-hyun is his given name. Koreans say their family name first, but don't say family name alone. we call him "Seol Ki-hyeon" by full name or "Ki-hyeon" by given name, not "Seol" or "Ki-hyeon Seol".

there are so many "Seol"s in Korea, not to mention kim, lee, park. those three names(kim, lee, and park) are about 70% of Korean people's family names.

I'm interested about Seols skin diseases - any insight you can give us on that?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Aug 2006 10:15

Thanks. He's only a played a few games but already has made a really good impression, seems to be an excellent striker and good performer.

clooneysed PS1... i don't know why reading is red-ding not reading (a book)???

I'm not sure why it's pronounced like that either!

clooneysed PS2... Seol Ki-hyeon is pronounced just like 'SUL'(inSULt) 'GI(ryan GIggs)' 'HYUN'(HYUNdai). HYUN is like HE(means 'that man')+UN(UNplugged). too difficult.

Thank you! Maybe you should tell some of the media that too!

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 07 Aug 2006 10:53

bobby1413

I think, historically, our name used to be spelt as Redding. I might be wrong.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 07 Aug 2006 12:00

clooneysed seems to be lack of confidence from skin disease

Wolverhampton will do that to you. He'll be fine down here, we have modern medicine and all sorts.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 07 Aug 2006 14:07

SpaceCruiser
bobby1413

The settlement was founded at the confluence of the River Thames and River Kennet in the eighth century as Readingum. The name is probably from the Anglo-Saxon for "(Place of) Readda's People", or (less probably) the Celtic Rhydd-Inge, "Ford over the River". It was occupied by the Vikings after the Battle of Reading (871), but had recovered sufficiently by its 1086 Domesday Book listing to contain around 600 people and be made a designated borough. The town was a place of pilgrimage in medieval times to Reading Abbey.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 07 Aug 2006 14:18

Reading Abbey
SpaceCruiser
bobby1413

The settlement was founded at the confluence of the River Thames and River Kennet in the eighth century as Readingum. The name is probably from the Anglo-Saxon for "(Place of) Readda's People", or (less probably) the Celtic Rhydd-Inge, "Ford over the River". It was occupied by the Vikings after the Battle of Reading (871), but had recovered sufficiently by its 1086 Domesday Book listing to contain around 600 people and be made a designated borough. The town was a place of pilgrimage in medieval times to Reading Abbey.

Not that anyone cares, but it was spelt Reddingplenty of times in the past. Spelling (of anything) only started to become standardised in comparatively recent times. Shakespeare spelt his names in several different ways , sometimes two different ways in the same sentence, and I believe that he never used the modern spelling.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 07 Aug 2006 14:26

Reading Abbey
SpaceCruiser
bobby1413

Cant beleive this is being discussed on a football forum :lol:

FWIW I always believed it came from the viking gods name Rohdin(sp?), Reading was actually seen as the capital of England for a period around the time of the abbeys construction.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 07 Aug 2006 14:32

Spirit of Elm Park Cant beleive this is being discussed on a football forum :lol:

Why not? Always nice to have some historical discussion on here. ;)

Spirit of Elm Park FWIW I always believed it came from the viking gods name Rohdin(sp?), Reading was actually seen as the capital of England for a period around the time of the abbeys construction.

Now I like the sound of that, Reading as the capital of England! :lol:

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 07 Aug 2006 16:05

SpaceCruiser Now I like the sound of that, Reading as the capital of England! :lol:

How'z about as capital of occupied France?

Hey, over in Meeting Up, I've just posted fresh, within-the-hour news for U.S.-based fans (and those who aren't but whose travel brings them here) in regard to the opener --it'll be on TV on a same-day delayed telecast in the middle of the afternoon!!!! Go check it out in Meeting Up for details.

Welcome Korean friends, of course. Spacey --behave.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Aug 2006 18:37

rabidbee Not that anyone cares, but it was spelt Reddingplenty of times in the past.

At the likes of Ashmead, Highdown and Bulmershe, yes I can quite believe that it would have been 8)

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 07 Aug 2006 20:57

I hope you, and thousands like you, wish to purchase Reading FC replica shirts with 'Seol 19' on the back.

:wink:

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 08 Aug 2006 01:02

SpaceCruiser
Spirit of Elm Park Cant beleive this is being discussed on a football forum :lol:

Spirit of Elm Park FWIW I always believed it came from the viking gods name Rohdin(sp?), Reading was actually seen as the capital of England for a period around the time of the abbeys construction.

Reading was never the capital of England in any shape or form. Whilst there is an urban myth that Hitler planned to make it the administrative HQ of a conquered Britain, (following the destruction of London), the nearest we have come to prominence is the temporary transfer of Parliament to the Abbey in the middle ages. This was, I believe, prompted by outbreaks of the plague.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 08 Aug 2006 01:15

bobby m's syrup
SpaceCruiser

Reading was never the capital of England in any shape or form. Whilst there is an urban myth that Hitler planned to make it the administrative HQ of a conquered Britain, (following the destruction of London), the nearest we have come to prominence is the temporary transfer of Parliament to the Abbey in the middle ages. This was, I believe, prompted by outbreaks of the plague.

You must be so much fun at parties.

Fubar
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Fubar » 08 Aug 2006 02:11

bobby m's syrup
SpaceCruiser

Which won't help his skin disease any, I can tell you!! :lol:

moongirls

by moongirls » 08 Aug 2006 05:12

clooneysed there are so many "Seol"s in Korea, not to mention kim, lee, park. those three names(kim, lee, and park) are about 70% of Korean people's family names.

There are so many "Seol" in Korea? It's around 0.6% of the population and I don't think it can be compared to the families such as Kim, Lee and Park. I know it very well because I'm one of them. :lol:

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 08 Aug 2006 05:51

londinium
bobby m's syrup
SpaceCruiser

You must be so much fun at parties.

If ever you get invited to one, you may even find out. Don't loose hope, someone, somewhere will eventually feel sorry enough for you :lol:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 08 Aug 2006 08:53

bobby m's syrup

Not entirely true. During the plague the King also decamped to Reading and hence the town became a substitute capital for a period of time. There is even a King of England buried in Forbury gardens - but don't go looking for the grave because no-one is quite sure where he is!

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 08 Aug 2006 10:12

moving on from the history lesson, i've just found out that Seol served in the Korean Army in the summer of 2005. he was there for 4 months instead of the mandatory 24 months - because he was a footballer.

Imagine Rooney in the army, he'd batter everyone!

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 08 Aug 2006 10:20

crossie moving on from the history lesson, i've just found out that Seol served in the Korean Army in the summer of 2005. he was there for 4 months instead of the mandatory 24 months - because he was a footballer.

What a great excuse for diving - "I thought I heard a gun, ref"