Andre Bikey

147 posts
Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Andre Bikey

by Only one Trevor Morley » 07 Aug 2006 13:43

The more I read about this chap the more positive it sounds - two points to take from the article below - first of all Coppell calls him supremely confident on the ball which is praise indeed from Coppell. Secondly he signed a 4 year contract with Locomotiv but it looks like hes moving on because of Russian racism. The length of contract suggest he's a decent player.

Trialist Andre Stephane Bikey is desperate to earn a deal at Reading and end his racist hell in Moscow.

The Cameroon international, who is contracted to Lokomotiv Moscow, has joined up with Royals on their tour of Sweden.

And he is only too happy to escape the nightmare he has been suffering in the Russian capital, where there are hardly any black people.

Advertisementyour story continues below
Bikey has even had to arm himself with a gun as he lives in fear of the racist thugs who drove his friend to quit the country.

He told the Evening Post: “I still have three years left on my contract with Lokomotiv Moscow but I am not really happy there and I want to come back to Europe.

“I played for Espanyol in Spain, then after that in Portugal before going to Moscow. Ideally, I’d like to play in the Premiership. Hopefully everything will be all right. The gaffer (Steve Coppell) will make a decision at the end of the week.

“It’s a different mentality in Russia. It’s very hard to live there because being black out there is very strange and there is racism. In England it is better because you can actually walk down the street.

“The Lokomotiv fans are fine but when I play against the other teams I get a lot of abuse, especially from Spartak fans.

“If you are black out there it can be very dangerous. You can get hurt out there. It’s not because you are causing trouble, it is just because you’re black.

“If you get hurt the police won’t do anything. I nearly got hurt once when I was out. Three men followed me but I ran away and got into a taxi. I had to buy a gun for protection.

“My friend from Cameroon was playing over there for Spartak. He was sitting in a park and then he realised people were surrounding him and they hit him over the head with a baseball bat. They left him half dead. He survived but he left the club after that.â€

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Aug 2006 13:53

Poor guy, hope he does well with us in Sweden.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 07 Aug 2006 13:55

I'm shocked that Russia seems to be a backward country. What possessed Bikey to go there in the first place?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 07 Aug 2006 13:59

SpaceCruiser I'm shocked that Russia seems to be a backward country. What possessed Bikey to go there in the first place?

I believe he was offered a contract of employment by a professional football club.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2006 14:00

Maguire
SpaceCruiser I'm shocked that Russia seems to be a backward country. What possessed Bikey to go there in the first place?

I believe he was offered a contract of employment by a professional football club.

I think that could well be it Maguire, good call.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 07 Aug 2006 14:02

Stranded
Maguire

That's possibly correct, but he must have had the option of turning it down had he known about the racism.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 07 Aug 2006 14:03

SpaceCruiser
Stranded
Maguire

That's possibly correct, but he must have had the option of turning it down had he known about the racism.

Are you simple?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 07 Aug 2006 14:03

I wonder how Owusu-Abeyou (sp?) is finding it.

That seemed a strange move to me, I was hoping we might pinch him on a seasons loan.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 07 Aug 2006 14:07

looking at the Chronicle website, it appears that we'd need to pay a million for him - I thought he'd be available on a free?

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 07 Aug 2006 14:13

Only one Trevor Morley looking at the Chronicle website, it appears that we'd need to pay a million for him - I thought he'd be available on a free?

He's on a 4 year deal and a Cameroon international. A million seems reasonable if we are interested.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 07 Aug 2006 14:14

Reading Abbey
Only one Trevor Morley looking at the Chronicle website, it appears that we'd need to pay a million for him - I thought he'd be available on a free?

He's on a 4 year deal and a Cameroon international. A million seems reasonable if we are interested.

I agree - its just that I'm sure I read earlier that he was available on a free....

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 07 Aug 2006 14:14

Reading Abbey
SpaceCruiser
Stranded
Maguire

Are you simple?

No, how about you?

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 07 Aug 2006 14:14

Only one Trevor Morley
Reading Abbey

I agree - its just that I'm sure I read earlier that he was available on a free....

Pretty sure I read that somewhere too.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 07 Aug 2006 14:24

SpaceCruiser I'm shocked that Russia seems to be a backward country.

I am shocked at this statement

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 07 Aug 2006 14:37

If he's shocked about racism in Moscow, wait till he gets to Whitley.

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 07 Aug 2006 14:56

I hope we sign him, our squad is ever so thin.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 07 Aug 2006 14:59

bracknell loyal royal! I hope we sign him, our squad is ever so thin.

Perhaps we can get Caskey back!!!

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 07 Aug 2006 15:21

From what i've heard of Andre Bikey i think he'll fit in at the mad stad really well. He seems strong and confident and will do a lot for our defense.

I look forward to his possible signing.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2006 15:23

I'm sure the Moscow coach said he was free to go. £1m wouldn't be a bad price if Coppell rates him though.

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 07 Aug 2006 15:29

Found it....

[quote="Only one Trevor Morley"]Confirmed in the evening post

Reading are running the rule over Cameroon international defender Andre Stephane Bikey.

The 21-year-old Lokomotiv Moscow centre-back was due to meet up with the Royals squad at their Kungsbacka base last night.

And manager Steve Coppell is hoping to give him a run-out either tonight against Gallstads FK (kick off 6pm BST) or on Saturday against Lanna GoIF.

Advertisementyour story continues below
However, I understand any hope Reading had of landing top target John Mensah from French club Rennes is now all but dead.

Coppell told the Evening Post: “He (Bikey) is just one of many centre-backs we are looking at and, depending on what shape he is in, he could play tonight.

“To be honest we have gone down a few blind alleys concerning possible transfers in recent days and we have suffered a couple of knock-backs at the ninth or 10th hour.

“But Sam Sodje is making good progress from his injury. He trained yesterday and he might have a chance of playing 45 minutes tonight. I have always said if I have to go into the season with what we’ve got now I won.t be too disappointed."

Bikey, who was in the Cameroon team that reached the quarter-finals of the African Nations Cup in January this year, is currently under contract to his Russian club, but has been told he can leave for a free.

Lokomotiv coach Slavoljub Muslin said: “I hope he finds a new team. He is a good player. He just doesn’t fit into our team.â€

147 posts