Keepers

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Abbo

Keepers

by Abbo » 13 Aug 2006 20:00

What's the consensus on Readings crop of keepers?

I was amazed that Tony Warner is lowering himself by turning out for Dirty Leeds in that lower division.

This fella had one of the best saves per game ratio last season in the Prem, and looked good again today.

I think it's a weak area for RFC.

mortimer royal

by mortimer royal » 13 Aug 2006 20:14

im a big fan of marcus, but not too sure of stack but haven't seen much of him, hopefully marcus will stay fit and i have every confidence he will do well.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Aug 2006 20:58

Marcus is an excellent stopper with good positioning and effective communication. The only thing that lets him down is his distribution, but that's come on leaps and bounds since he first joined us.

Stack is a fantastic No.2 keeper and we should be grateful to have someone with his ability and experience.

I look at the 'keeping pairs at some Premiership clubs and I have to wonder what would happen if they lost their first choice. It would be rather messy, methinks.

We are strong in that department and it will show this season.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Keepers

by Royalee » 13 Aug 2006 21:00

Abbo What's the consensus on Readings crop of keepers?

I was amazed that Tony Warner is lowering himself by turning out for Dirty Leeds in that lower division.

This fella had one of the best saves per game ratio last season in the Prem, and looked good again today.

Shame he can't make decisions, catch crosses or kick - he'd be a decent keeper then.

Abbo

by Abbo » 13 Aug 2006 21:54

Royalee

Shame he can't make decisions, catch crosses or kick - he'd be a decent keeper then.

Let's have this conversation again in three months.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 13 Aug 2006 21:57

The times I've seen Warner play against us he has been shocking!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 Aug 2006 22:03

Abbo
Royalee

Fair enough, he'll still be a poor man's David James then though.

Abbo

by Abbo » 13 Aug 2006 22:23

Royalee
Abbo
Royalee

Fair enough, he'll still be a poor man's David James then though.

no, I decided today that he looks like Trevor Sinclair :lol:

jme-rfc

by jme-rfc » 13 Aug 2006 23:11

Royalee

agreed in this year pre-season he was terrible!!

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 14 Aug 2006 00:09

Wheres Danny Coyne? Dunno why but I always rated him.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 14 Aug 2006 00:15

moo Wheres Danny Coyne? Dunno why but I always rated him.

Burnley.

c_harrison

by c_harrison » 14 Aug 2006 08:13

Row Z Royal Marcus is an excellent stopper with good positioning and effective communication. The only thing that lets him down is his distribution

Your right there! We've got to be careful in the premiership, can't keep giving the ball straight back to the opposition keeper everytime. Teams who can keep hold of the ball will punish us in my opinion.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 14 Aug 2006 09:15

i have every confidence in Marcus, im not so sure about stacky but then i only really saw him in cup games this season. He has a good pedigree, and has looked fairly comfortable so fingers crossed

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Aug 2006 09:34

Row Z Royal Stack is a fantastic No.2 keeper and we should be grateful to have someone with his ability and experience.

I look at the 'keeping pairs at some Premiership clubs and I have to wonder what would happen if they lost their first choice. It would be rather messy, methinks.

We are strong in that department and it will show this season.

I'm gald your confidence is so high in Stack. For me the jury is out as whenever he's played I think we've conceeded soft goals that I'd have expected Marcus to save.

You say he has experience but he's only played about 30 first team games in his career! Granted he's obvioulsy been involved in a fair few more both at Reading and Arsenal before where I think he got as far as the bench on occassions. That experience is fine, but it's not the same as actually playing.

As for looking at other Premiership keeper options, I wouldn't say we're in the top half, there are some very good number two's in this league, but I'm confident that Marcus will do ok and will also stay fit.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 Aug 2006 10:20

Stack's done fine when he came in last season and arguably made the save of the season at Arsenal. I think only the 2nd West Brom goal was a soft one. Lets not forget Stack did extremely well against Brum in the cup also.

I would have no problem if Stack was in goal for a number of games next season for any reason, and clearly SC doesn't.

Oh and I thought when Ashdwon had that run of games we were looking at a future England keeper and I would love to see him return one day. :D

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1