Reading 3 Boro 2 Reflections

Boston Royal

Reading 3 Boro 2 Reflections

by Boston Royal » 19 Aug 2006 17:13

WOW! We waited 135 years for this, and didn't disappoint. What a Premiership debut!

I thought we started a little nervously, with a few individual mistakes - kicking the ball out of play, giving the ball away too cheaply, crosses being over-hit or getting blocked by the first defender. But gradually we re-found the quality we showed last season. Hahnemann might have done better for the first goal and was certainly at fault for the second, but even at 0-2 we were in the game: Schwarzer had pulled off a number of saves.

Many other teams would have folded. But this was the same squad that had played together all last year and often come from behind to preserve the 33-game run. The rest of the first half we were irresistible. Each time we went forward we looked dangerous, and even defenders such as Ingimarsson and Murty were getting forward. Our crossing got better and better. Kitson's goal was scrappy but determined, typifying our bulldog spirit. Sidwell's (off an Ingimarsson cross from the byline, no less) typified our quality. We continued where we left off in the second half - Doyle didn't make the greatest of connections from Seol's cross but kept battling, and finally got the ball away from him to Lita.

Boro had come back many times in their UEFA campaign, but we held in there. Our defense was shaky and Viduka's goal was clearly onside, but Hahnemann reverted to the rock of last season.

Reasons to be excited:

1) This was practically the same team as last year - but we showed our quality, especially going forward. Boro are normally a decent defensive team, but Schwarzer prevented it being 5 or 6.

2) Great battling spirit, our lads really fought for each other, even at 2-0 down, and didn't let off at 3-2. Right at the end, Hunt got the ball on the left and /three/ tired pairs of legs surged up the field to support.

Reasons to be cautious:

1) Our defending was pretty shaky throughout. We tended to back off any Boro player trying to dribble. Sonko left a ball for Hahnemann and Viduka should have equalized, but Hahnemann made a great save. Both Boro goals and the disallowed equalizer could have been better dealt with.

But our defenders are still adapting, and will get to top form soon; Hahnemann's second half was far better than his first.

Bring on the Villa, but until then, bask in our victory.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 19 Aug 2006 17:26

How were you watching, BR?

SwedeRoyal

by SwedeRoyal » 19 Aug 2006 17:53

Spot on BR!

Our defending was a bit dodgy, respect for Premier League players perhaps? But after 0-2 there was only one team on the pitch.

I was watching (standing up of course) the game at home on Canal+ and they mentioned some profiles at Reading before the game, Kitson and Doyle as you would expect but also Halls and Stack... :shock:

Boston Royal

by Boston Royal » 19 Aug 2006 17:56

http://www.watch-football.tv which got a feed from Canal+

Many years on the Southbank watching bottom-of-D1 football as a kid; at least modern technology allows me to share in our season in the sun.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 19 Aug 2006 17:57

would agree with much of this we looked nervous for first half an hour then shorey went down the left driving past defenders and it seemed to give our boys belief, it was like "hang on boys it's still 11 versus 11 we can play the way we did last year"

but yes we did look shakey at the back at times, although for the most part sonks was a rock.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 19 Aug 2006 18:02

IS that Kosher BR ... not just a scam ... I'ev tried a few and ended up with e-books and Korean / Chinese / Japanse language sites with no indication how to get the soccer channels ...

Boston Royal

by Boston Royal » 19 Aug 2006 18:05

I managed to see the entire game using that site, so it worked for that. Of course, they could suddenly stop my "season's subscription" after that game, but the cost of the subscription was worth it just for that match!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 19 Aug 2006 18:06

I've been watching Reading for 35 years and I would say that could well be THE game i remember in my old age.

To win from two down is a rare thing, to do it in your first ever Premiership game is beyond comic book stuff.

Utterly unforgettable.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 19 Aug 2006 18:12

We had bottle, we had nerve, we had determination, we had skill and class in abundance, we had three goals and we have three points. Super fightback and I haven't ever looked forward to a MOTD as much as tonight's. Bring on the Villa.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 19 Aug 2006 18:12

I will never forget this day. Quite truly astonishing. The players never gave up and the fans never gave up (although we did go quiet for a short bit).

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 19 Aug 2006 18:12

I think it's likely to be the first half that sticks in the mind. We could have gone in at half time 3-2 up & on reflection it was probably a good thing we didn't.
Agree with the earlier post that it was Shorey's run that seemed to turn things round - it lifted the crowd & appeared to give the players the belief - & was my MOTM.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 19 Aug 2006 18:16

seol for man of the match for me terrorised the boro defense, he looks like a younger more tactic aware Glen Little!!

Pablo88

by Pablo88 » 19 Aug 2006 18:19

What A Game!! :D :D :D :D :D

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 19 Aug 2006 18:20

Unbelievably good.

Never have I gone so mental celebrating goals in my life.

Couldn't fault a Reading player after apart from the first 25 minutes.

Players who really stood out were Sidwell, Shorey and Doyle, who I thought were all absolutely fantastic.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 19 Aug 2006 18:22

Seol , Doyle , Convey , Murty.
Brilliant What can i say , FCUKING BRILLIANT LADS!

double d

by double d » 19 Aug 2006 18:25

team effort was top class

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 19 Aug 2006 18:25

Brilliant result - shame i was working. But do u know whats annoys me the most? the way the BBC know nothing about us. On the ceefax match report it says "Downing finished comfortably past Magnus Hahnemann."

MAGNUS HAHNEMANN!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Reading 3 Boro 2 Reflections

by Forbury Lion » 19 Aug 2006 18:29

Boston Royal Viduka's goal was clearly onside
I've watched the replays and I'm less convinced, even though the accompanying commentry says it was onside.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 19 Aug 2006 18:30

crossie Brilliant result - shame i was working. But do u know whats annoys me the most? the way the BBC know nothing about us. On the ceefax match report it says "Downing finished comfortably past Magnus Hahnemann."

MAGNUS HAHNEMANN!
Graeme Morty anyone who watched football first :lol:

zac naloen

Re: Reading 3 Boro 2 Reflections

by zac naloen » 19 Aug 2006 18:46

Forbury Lion
Boston Royal Viduka's goal was clearly onside
I've watched the replays and I'm less convinced, even though the accompanying commentry says it was onside.

From northwest my first instinct when he got that ball was to shout "OFFF SSIIIIIIDDDEEE!!!!!".

Of course the opinion of a deranged with joy fan is hardly reliable.