Viduka's 'offside' equaliser

incorrect decisions that hindered us
Sonko's red card

Shall I keep this a running thing?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Aug 2006 08:44

Not convinced that Sonko's red was really incorrect - if it was a foul then it was a red card.

If no foul, then no penalty.

Do you think a penalty should have been awarded?

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 24 Aug 2006 08:50

From Reports (I wasn't there :oops: ) it appears that Sonko stumbled and the man came down with him.

Not a foul, strictly speaking, but if the man come down in the box after contact with a defender, its a penalty.

Did it stop a clear goalscoring opportunity?

HighburyRoyale

by HighburyRoyale » 24 Aug 2006 08:58

Winchester Royal From Reports (I wasn't there :oops: ) it appears that Sonko stumbled and the man came down with him.

Not a foul, strictly speaking, but if the man come down in the box after contact with a defender, its a penalty.

Did it stop a clear goalscoring opportunity?

It was one of those that was harsh, but fair I think. From the ref's angel, there is no way he could really have done anything else and the assistant at that end was at the other end of the pitch, so no joy there.

It seems harsh that he was sent off, but they're the rules... I think Moore would have scored, but it would have been nice to be able to carry on with 11.

Doyle is quite clearly an absolute legend.

true blue 4 ever

by true blue 4 ever » 24 Aug 2006 09:12

Would be interesting ....so yes

Forty

by Forty » 24 Aug 2006 09:14

Decision against us: J lloyd Samuel could very easily have been sent off, therefore he couldn't've been subbed for Whittaker, who produced that magic cross.

UTDSTEVE

by UTDSTEVE » 24 Aug 2006 09:22

Forty Decision against us: J lloyd Samuel could very easily have been sent off, therefore he couldn't've been subbed for Whittaker, who produced that magic cross.

Didn't Villla have a perfectly good goal disallowed towards the end of the game??

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 24 Aug 2006 09:33

no - twice.

Angel offside for two well-worked (is that what you meant by good?) goals - good header for the first and a good knock down for the second. But both offside.

As for the penalty - it was a foul. A foul need not be deliberate. He clattered the player as he fell - but there was no intent. Not quite sure what the rules are there, mind. I would say, probably strictly a red.

igoe agogo

Re: Luckomoter

by igoe agogo » 24 Aug 2006 09:38

Winchester Royal We're back to evens.

Incorrect decisions that benefitted us

Sonko's red card

Yes but maybe use different colours for for/against. :wink:

UTDSTEVE

by UTDSTEVE » 24 Aug 2006 09:40

papereyes no - twice.

Angel offside for two well-worked (is that what you meant by good?) goals - good header for the first and a good knock down for the second. But both offside.

As for the penalty - it was a foul. A foul need not be deliberate. He clattered the player as he fell - but there was no intent. Not quite sure what the rules are there, mind. I would say, probably strictly a red.

I saw the first, i wasn't refering to that as it was clearly offside. I never saw the second but i work with a Villa fan who said the second wasn't offside and apparently replays confirm it.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 24 Aug 2006 09:41

I thought the direct header, the first, was the dubious one. The lay off was about 2 yards offside - I could see that. Angel spends most of his time offside, you would have thought he'd have learned.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 24 Aug 2006 09:43

MOTD showed a late run through by Agbonlahor which was called offside but wasn't. He did complete his run & put the ball in the net but everyone else had stopped because of the flag.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Luckomoter

by Big Ern » 24 Aug 2006 09:44

Winchester Royal We're back to evens.

Incorrect decisions that benefitted us

Sonko's red card

The ref had no choice but to send Sonko off. If somthing similar had happened when Doyle was through on goal we would all be adament it was a sending off. It wasn't intential, but we are being too subjective if we think it was an unfair decision. If any decision went against us last night it was the ref not sending JL Samuel off for a terrible foul on Doyle when he had already been booked.

UTDSTEVE

by UTDSTEVE » 24 Aug 2006 09:45

The Surgeon of Crowthorne MOTD showed a late run through by Agbonlahor which was called offside but wasn't. He did complete his run & put the ball in the net but everyone else had stopped because of the flag.

Ah right, thats probably the one he's refering to then. He never pointed out that everyone else had stopped!! funny that :)

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 24 Aug 2006 09:46

MOTD showed a late run through by Agbonlahor which was called offside but wasn't. He did complete his run & put the ball in the net but everyone else had stopped because of the flag.

Not seen the replays - stuck on a slow train to Oxford. Thought the flag went up for the header rather than the run from behind Shorey.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 24 Aug 2006 09:51

Sorry, UTDSTEVE - there was a third one wasn't there? Agbonlahor at the end.

That was up the other end and I can honestly say I have no idea.

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 24 Aug 2006 09:52

papereyes Sorry, UTDSTEVE - there was a third one wasn't there? Agbonlahor at the end.

That's the one I was referring to - he was onside & had oceans of space. Whilst no one followed him because they saw the flag, he had so much room he wouldn't have been caught anyway.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 24 Aug 2006 09:56

he looked about | <-- that big from where I was sat.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 24 Aug 2006 09:58

papereyes Sorry, UTDSTEVE - there was a third one wasn't there? Agbonlahor at the end.

That's the one I was referring to - he was onside & had oceans of space. Whilst no one followed him because they saw the flag, he had so much room he wouldn't have been caught anyway.

he wasn't onside! the MOTD camera was at an angle and so showed him to be level. FWIW I think Sonko tugged Moore back before stumbling over.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 24 Aug 2006 10:03

Wax Jacket

he wasn't onside! the MOTD camera was at an angle and so showed him to be level. FWIW I think Sonko tugged Moore back before stumbling over.
He possibly did, but outside the area. If he sent him off for that then it should not have been a penalty