What the Irons think......

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 27 Sep 2006 15:27

Right&Royal Re: the title.

Are West Ham not the Hammers & Scunthorpe the Iron?

No, they are Shammers.

Doyler

by Doyler » 27 Sep 2006 15:32

7.Reading 10pts
15.West Ham 5pts

Says it all really, 5 points clear already, and they are a bigger club than us, or at least in hammers fans minds they are. And one of them said they will win 4-0 :lol:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 27 Sep 2006 15:51

They're mostly very realistic, not to say pessimistic. Five points after six games is meaningless. I'm glad to have the points, but realistic league positions have yet to settle. I guarantee you we'll be behind Tottenham (3 points, ho ho ho) by the end of the year.

Here's one reason I'm happy we have Coppell as manager. If the players were allowed to get as cocky over our start as some of our fans we'd be setting ourselves up for a drubbing. Luckily SC has instilled his one game at a time philosophy so thoroughly that we never drop our guard.

jimmyboy (whufc)

West Ham game

by jimmyboy (whufc) » 27 Sep 2006 17:53

Evening lads, West Ham fan here. Congrats on your positive start to the season. The start is everything in the premiership and you definitely have a platform now to push on to secure premiership status.

My only concern if I was a Reading fan is that you look a bit thin squadwise if you have a run of injuries. That could be the key to whether you stay up or not.

As for Sunday's game, to be honest we look there for the taking at the moment. Too many players out of form and we are struggling with injuries in defensive positions. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see you leave Upton Park on Sunday with all 3 points.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 27 Sep 2006 18:03

Arch Posted: 27 Sep 2006 15:51 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're mostly very realistic, not to say pessimistic. Five points after six games is meaningless. I'm glad to have the points, but realistic league positions have yet to settle. I guarantee you we'll be behind Tottenham (3 points, ho ho ho) by the end of the year.

WHY?? They beat Sheff U 2-0 in first game and haven't scored since, I believe we will be ahead them.

In fact I think we will be ahead of about 10 or 11 teams at Xmas and Spurs will be one of them.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2006 18:14

cheers jimmy.

We are a touch thin. we're towards the bare bones with the strikers with Kitson out, though Long is a great prospect and can only benefit from the experience he is getting coming off the bench. At the back we have some potential talent in reserve, but we just don't whether or not they'll be able to step in straight away.

Midfield isn't firing fully yet, but is performingwell enough so far. If we can keep the injuries down we'll stay up and maybe finish quite high. If not who knows.

I don't hold much hope of beating you, recent history says home wins all round. Without Dave "slayer of Hammers" Kitson available I'm even more worried. But we've got points in the bank and I think we can squeeze another point or three out of Chelsea or Arsenal so I'm still confident for the rest of the season. Good luck for all but our games.

Good luck with Pardew too, he's great when he has momentum, but if things start to go wrong he struggles rather a lot.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 27 Sep 2006 18:23

We will get tonked by the Hammers.

jimmyboy (whufc)

Sunday

by jimmyboy (whufc) » 27 Sep 2006 19:23

Ian,

Don't forget that we have got a tough game in Italy on Thursday night which Pardew will want to win. If the last few seasons are anything to go by, teams playing in Europe on a Thursday night don't do very well at the weekend !

Personally speaking, with the way we are playing at the moment, I will be delighted to take a point off you on Sunday.

All the best and here's hoping you stay up (rather your mob than Warnock's any day of the week !)

FORZA READING

Re: Sunday

by FORZA READING » 27 Sep 2006 20:01

jimmyboy (whufc) Ian,

Don't forget that we have got a tough game in Italy on Thursday night which Pardew will want to win. If the last few seasons are anything to go by, teams playing in Europe on a Thursday night don't do very well at the weekend !

Personally speaking, with the way we are playing at the moment, I will be delighted to take a point off you on Sunday.

All the best and here's hoping you stay up (rather your mob than Warnock's any day of the week !)

yer palermo proved that last year they were awuful in some of those gamesafter uefa cup games trust me it'l really take it out on your players if you some how get threw

FORZA PALERMO

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 Sep 2006 20:26

Hi Jimmy, and welcome to the board.

We do undoubtably have a thin squad in terms of quality; we are unchanged in our last 4 league games, 9 players have started every game, with 2 others having started 5 games.......tonight, Liverpool play the 94th game on the trot without starting the same 11 players....... :shock:

However, the up-side of that is that the team all know how they play together, there is continuity and team spirit that I would suggest is second to none in this Division.

I fully expected West Ham to have started better, though the experience of Ipswich a few seasons ago (promoted, qualify for europe their first season up, relegated their second) is a salutory warning. Its easy to say, but has the dressing room been disrupted by the arrival of the 2 Argentinian lads?? (Zamora was scoring freely before they arrived; now hasn't scored since (I believe)......

IF we start at the tempo we play best at (fast and furious, playing it on the ground through midfield and using our two wide men) we could score early, and if we do that, we could well win.

However, i would take a draw.

bassavage

by bassavage » 27 Sep 2006 22:49

Spirit of Elm Park Generally, feel the game could be very hard and more than happy if they get a point. :lol:

Don't blame them, I think we can go out there and beat them.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 27 Sep 2006 23:09

LOL @ the simpleton predicting a 4-0 home win

andy30766

by andy30766 » 27 Sep 2006 23:11

Another West Ham fan here - have to agree with Jimmy I will happily take a point...

COS I LIVE IN A HOUSE WITH FOUR ROYALS!!!!!! (one of whom sang Bubbles at the Cup Final to show her love for me awwww)

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 28 Sep 2006 08:22

Mr Angry though the experience of Ipswich a few seasons ago (promoted, qualify for europe their first season up, relegated their second) is a salutory warning. Its easy to say, but has the dressing room been disrupted by the arrival of the 2 Argentinian lads?? (Zamora was scoring freely before they arrived; now hasn't scored since (I believe)......

Interesting comparison. Didn't Ipswich go out and spend a fortune on a load of foreigners in their second season as well. Finances haven't recoved since.

Reading Til I Die
Location: Anywhere there's a cold pint with a voluptuous barmaid!

by Reading Til I Die » 28 Sep 2006 09:24

andy30766 Another West Ham fan here - have to agree with Jimmy I will happily take a point...

COS I LIVE IN A HOUSE WITH FOUR ROYALS!!!!!! (one of whom sang Bubbles at the Cup Final to show her love for me awwww)

There are other ways she could have showed her love for you! :wink: :wink: :wink:

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 28 Sep 2006 10:32

I'll happily take any point away from home, however as has been stated before West Ham look ripe for the taking at the moment. Off form, not scoring many, possibly disrupted dressing room. On the other hand beware the wounded animal...

Also, West Ham I believe were founded in an Ironworks, hence the chant "Come on you Irons". I believe this is correct, correct if wrong!

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 28 Sep 2006 10:41

Mr Angry
Its easy to say, but has the dressing room been disrupted by the arrival of the 2 Argentinian lads?? (Zamora was scoring freely before they arrived; now hasn't scored since (I believe)......

IF we start at the tempo we play best at (fast and furious, playing it on the ground through midfield and using our two wide men) we could score early, and if we do that, we could well win.

and 2 argentinians that the manager did not request so who exactly is making decisions at the club?

late flight back from Italy , little training, no time to prepare.. start the way we started against sheffield and the game is there for the taking!

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 28 Sep 2006 10:44

Reading Til I Die
andy30766 Another West Ham fan here - have to agree with Jimmy I will happily take a point...

There are other ways she could have showed her love for you! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Blowing Bubbles

anR

by anR » 28 Sep 2006 10:51

SWLR
Reading Til I Die

Blowing Bubbles

Micheal Jackson's pet monkey? :?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Sep 2006 11:53

handbags_harris Also, West Ham I believe were founded in an Ironworks, hence the chant "Come on you Irons". I believe this is correct, correct if wrong!

Used to be called Thames Ironworks?