Liverpool v Reading Official Match Thread

245 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Oct 2006 11:52

Kitsondinho Ok, fair enough. I'm not trying to start a fight here. I'm just worried because we have a tendancy to get deeper into our own half as games go on and in my view (which could be utter bo**ox anyway) 4-5-1 will make that problem worse not better. I see your point about 4-5-1 becoming 4-3-3 like Chelski, but I worry about it becoming 7-2-1 with us dropping so deep.

valid.

we have been falling into the defend the 1-0 lead to much. our strength last season was pace and attack. not that that wil be the way we should go this season. but a little more of it wouldn;'t hurt

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 26 Oct 2006 11:54

We were 4-4-2 at West Ham but that became 11-0-0......

It doesn't matter that much if its 4-5-1 or 4-4-2. Whether we attack or defend depends on the attitude and often our ability to dominate the middle of the park.

4-5-1 gives us more of a chance to dominate the middle of the park and in some cases where the 4 men across the middle at Liverpool are better than the 4 men across the middle with Reading we need an extra man to earn us the right to play our attacking football.

4-5-1 may seem defensive but we are asking for it to enable us to get more possession and then mount our surging attacks. Without the ball it doesn't matter what formation you play. If you are chasing the game it means you are on the defensive even if the shape is 4-2-4.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Oct 2006 11:55

4-5-1 for me sounds cool. From what I've seen ie the Chelsea and Arsenal game Little should definitely start. He keeps the ball, passes well and beats people. Still unsure whether Oster/Bikey or Gunnarson should be the third midfielder. Oster gives us creativity and he keeps the ball (but I think that Little also does that), Bikey seems like a player who really wants to play and succeed for the Club (see the way he grabbed the ball when he scored last night). Gunnarson is good but slightly immobile,

Think I'd go with:-

Hahnemann
Gunnarson Sonko Ingimarsson Shorey

Little Sidwell Harper Bikey Soul

Doyle

The formation should allow Little to wander about a bit and get up and support Doyle - Soul can also come inside. Bikey can do the covering...

Desire is key at the moment and Little and Bikey have it

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 26 Oct 2006 12:00

I like your ideas but I worry about Gunnarsson at right back.... He is a bit slow. But I am even more worried about DLC at right back. When we get Murts back things will look alot better at the back. We have conceded a ton of goals without Murts captaining presence in the back line!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Oct 2006 12:03

Top Flight I like your ideas but I worry about Gunnarsson at right back.... He is a bit slow. But I am even more worried about DLC at right back. When we get Murts back things will look alot better at the back. We have conceded a ton of goals without Murts captaining presence in the back line!

Is a bit weird - thought that Murty would struggle in the premiership but it just shows in his absence how important the work he puts in is! A very dependable guy!

245 posts