Making the wrong decision.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 29 Nov 2006 17:19

MartinRdg
Huntley & Palmer We would hold the record for most offsides in one season if Forster and Cureton were playing in the Premiership. Let's face it, Cureton is a good 2nd division striker at best

Indeed. He only seemed to score last night because the defender made a mistake.

He still had to finish it though mate. There is no doubt he's a class goal poacher, but as Lita has found out you need more than that in the Premiership.

I agree that Curo left too soon and that he's a legend (Brentford away), but I still believe he wouldn't get in our team now and I'm sure Coppell would have sold him had he stayed that extra year.

He's doing great at Colchester and I hope he continues to.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 29 Nov 2006 17:21

Definitely agree about Tyson. He could have been a legend here if he'd had a little more patience. I read this morning he should be coming back from injury to play for Forest tonight - I hope all goes well for him.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 29 Nov 2006 19:53

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Definitely agree about Tyson. He could have been a legend here if he'd had a little more patience. I read this morning he should be coming back from injury to play for Forest tonight - I hope all goes well for him.

That would be division 3 Nottingham Forest I presume?
I hope all goes well for him too but he couldn't cut the mustard in Div 2 letalone Div 1.

fruits

by fruits » 29 Nov 2006 20:43

Scarface Had they chose to stay they would of been sold by now anyway, so I think that's irrelevant.

However after watching Watford v Sheff Utd it is very apparent we are in a different league to them in terms of quality of football. That had to be the worst Premiership game I've ever seen.

I agree with you about it being "the worst Premiership game I have ever seen", Warnock thought it a great game.

Cookie

by Cookie » 29 Nov 2006 21:21

Scarface wrote
That had to be the worst Premiership game I've ever seen.

When Adrian Boothroyd was asked by Sky Sports if he thought of it as a 6 pointer at this early stage, he replied it's worth more than that to my players!

:D

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 29 Nov 2006 21:25

I can't see that Darius made the wrong decision in leaving us. He's gone from being a sub to a Premiership starter.

Back in the day, Trevor shouldn't have left...

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 29 Nov 2006 21:40

The reason that RFC is where it is today is because these aforementioned players have departed.

They all provided entertainment in their time, but both RFC, and the players themselves, have moved on.

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 29 Nov 2006 21:52

Finchley Royal I can't see that Darius made the wrong decision in leaving us. He's gone from being a sub to a Premiership starter.

Feel sorry for him because Darius was excellent last season scoring loads of important goals in a winning but is not clearly Premiership class and is being asked to chase and control long balls against top defenders without King to help him out.

Have to agree about last night....it was pretty shocking even by the very low standards we set under Vialli etc!

My main concern was the lack of effort more than anything from our team.

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 29 Nov 2006 22:07

He isn't Premiership class, but he can definitely do a job, as it were. Obviously you miss King (and last night missed Young).

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Nov 2006 14:01

Royal With Cheese
The Surgeon of Crowthorne Definitely agree about Tyson. He could have been a legend here if he'd had a little more patience. I read this morning he should be coming back from injury to play for Forest tonight - I hope all goes well for him.

That would be division 3 Nottingham Forest I presume?
I hope all goes well for him too but he couldn't cut the mustard in Div 2 letalone Div 1.

He didn't really get much opportunity did he and he was still only 20 years old. A few more years of nurturing might have proved differently

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 30 Nov 2006 14:04

wiggso the one that springs to mind first is young jamie ashdown, though at the time it seemed a good move for him

Agreed. He could really be pushing for the number 1 position now if he had stayed.. Also Linvoy Primus was a big loss, but like Shaka and Scott Taylor, they were probably better off leaving when they did.

I wonder if we will be adding Steve Sidwell to the list sometime soon..

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 30 Nov 2006 14:20

fruits
Scarface Had they chose to stay they would of been sold by now anyway, so I think that's irrelevant.

However after watching Watford v Sheff Utd it is very apparent we are in a different league to them in terms of quality of football. That had to be the worst Premiership game I've ever seen.

I agree with you about it being "the worst Premiership game I have ever seen", Warnock thought it a great game.

"A great game. What an advert for the Championship, eh? But I can't believe we had a Premiership referee. What are they thinking? Surely we should have a mediocre Championship Ref for a game this unimportant?"

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 30 Nov 2006 20:06

Dick Habbin left Reading and ended up having a stand named after him at Cambridge (I think) so he must have done okay.

Dave Crown spent two years on the left wing being haranged(?) as crap by the Elm Park faithful then left and scored a hatful of goals every season for the various clubs he played for at cente forward.

Boston Royal

by Boston Royal » 30 Nov 2006 23:38

My memory of dates is hazy, but I think Cureton left us during the Pardew era, when he wasn't getting played as much as he should have been (IMHO). So it was a good move for him at the time, even though Pardew's departure and Coppell's subsequent arrival may have since proven him wrong. We'll never know, but possibly RFC under Pardew without Cureton would have been worse than RFC under Pardew with Cureton, even though we don't need him now as we're in the Prem with Coppell. Similar was Caskey leaving when he did (although his agent had a lot to do with this).

Shaun Allaway leaving to bench-warm was a wrong decision for him at the time, and even more in hindsight.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 01 Dec 2006 00:27

Cureton left because the Koreans waved a bunch of bank notes at him. He has admitted since that he should of stayed and taken the one year contract he was offered.

As said before, fantastic lower league goal scorer but if anyone really thinks he would still be playing first team football for us now is clearly mental!

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Making the wrong decision.

by KC Royal » 07 Dec 2006 11:48

Huntley & Palmer
Gordons Cumming Henderson

Did he really make the wrong decision? How was he to know that we would be in the Premiership at the same time as his current employers. In fact I would go as far as to say him and Ashdown made the right decision at the right stage of their careers, it's just that they didn't turn out to be as great as expected.

Really wrong decisions would be Cureton and Tyson for me. If Tyson had ground it out as a squad player and concentrated on becoming a left winger, Convey would be a name none of us may ever of heard of.

I'm not sure about Tyson, he was never going to be our first choice left winger as his best position was as a striker. He was clearly never going to get the chance to play up front, there were always other players ahead of him. Since moving on he was Wycombe's key player attracting interest from Championship clubs, and he's been one of Forest's best players despite being injured for half the time. The only thing I would question is why he joined Forest when he would have got a Championship move in the summer imo.

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

by Royalupnorth » 07 Dec 2006 12:00

Tyson is quick. On his feet, but not entirely in his head. Some players gain a yard through thinking, others through being fast runners.
The fast runners slow down though, and the fast thinkers end up surpassing them.
I believe Tyson is at his best NOW and he is not a prem striker.

Darius is hard working and loves playing football. He will do a job for most teams at most levels and IMHO is unlikely to be a star anywhere.
He could be doing a job for us here, but he would probably be fighting for Leroys place as bench warmer.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Dec 2006 13:22

SpaceCruiser
Huntley & Palmer
SpaceCruiser
Huntley & Palmer We would hold the record for most offsides in one season if Forster and Cureton were playing in the Premiership. Let's face it, Cureton is a good 2nd division striker at best

In case you haven't noticed, he's scored 10 goals in the Championship so far this season!

Which is the 2nd division :roll:

Oh sorry, I'm still thinking of the third division as the new second division! :oops:
You mean league 1?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Dec 2006 13:23

Chris Makin, might have had a few games when Murty was out injured.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 07 Dec 2006 14:12

Forbury Lion Chris Makin, might have had a few games when Murty was out injured.

But he's gone to a much bigger team now.