Making the wrong decision.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Making the wrong decision.

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Nov 2006 14:50

Seeing last night's results and some old friends taking part in the Championship and Premier for that matter I wonder other than Forster, Hughes, Cureton and Henderson who else in the past has made a wrong decision in moving away from the Royals..................and the right one for that matter.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 29 Nov 2006 14:55

Had they chose to stay they would of been sold by now anyway, so I think that's irrelevant.

However after watching Watford v Sheff Utd it is very apparent we are in a different league to them in terms of quality of football. That had to be the worst Premiership game I've ever seen.

Philly Flyer

by Philly Flyer » 29 Nov 2006 15:01

Last night was truly awful. Looking forward to Dec 9th!!

knights_1990

by knights_1990 » 29 Nov 2006 15:18

Cureton was a good player why did we sell him.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Nov 2006 15:22

knights_1990 Cureton was a good player why did we sell him.

We didn't sell him. :roll:

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 29 Nov 2006 15:36

I have always been a big fan of Jamie Curo' always thought he left too soon, would have been interesting to see him in the prem line up, my only doubts about him are he is an instinctive goal scorer and uncertain as to whether his general work rate would have been high enough at this level, however I tend to think he would have been more productive in front of goal than leroy has been so far though. !

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Nov 2006 15:40

We would hold the record for most offsides in one season if Forster and Cureton were playing in the Premiership. Let's face it, Cureton is a good 2nd division striker at best

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Nov 2006 15:46

Huntley & Palmer We would hold the record for most offsides in one season if Forster and Cureton were playing in the Premiership. Let's face it, Cureton is a good 2nd division striker at best

In case you haven't noticed, he's scored 10 goals in the Championship so far this season!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Making the wrong decision.

by Top Flight » 29 Nov 2006 15:47

Gordons Cumming Seeing last night's results and some old friends taking part in the Championship and Premier for that matter I wonder other than Forster, Hughes, Cureton and Henderson who else in the past has made a wrong decision in moving away from the Royals..................and the right one for that matter.

Shaka Hislop & Linvoy Primus both have made right decisions in leaving the Royals in recent times. They have both gone on to better things. Even Scott Taylor's career was on the Up after leaving the Royals until his unfortunate injury which could have happened anywhere.

Osborn did ok after leaving us, nothing spectacular. His career improved marginally. Williams did ok after leaving us and then returned to us.

Loads of players made the wrong decision in leaving us........ And probably anyone who leaves us right now will be making a wrong decision. It is hard to see how you can improve on the Royals right now. Someone like Sidwell could leave for more money to a bigger name club, but whether he would get selected each week and be such an important and influential player as he is right now with us is unlikely.

RFC will improve bit by bit every year.

Curo made a big mistake leaving us.
Hughes made a big mistake leaving us although it was probably a blessing in disguise for us.
Fozzy wasn't really wanted by Coppell, so no wrong decisions there.
The Goat was forced out.
And back in history it was probably a good thing to leave Reading.

Keith Curle went on to better things.
Hicks went on to better things with the Brum
Hurlock went on to better things
Webb went on to better things
Dixon went on to better things

Everyone who left us in our Elm Park days probably went on to better things.

Anyone who has left us in our Mad House days has probably not gone on to better things with the sole exception of Primus who was there in our very early Mad House days.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Nov 2006 15:50

SpaceCruiser
Huntley & Palmer We would hold the record for most offsides in one season if Forster and Cureton were playing in the Premiership. Let's face it, Cureton is a good 2nd division striker at best

In case you haven't noticed, he's scored 10 goals in the Championship so far this season!

Which is the 2nd division :roll:

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 29 Nov 2006 15:56

Huntley & Palmer
SpaceCruiser

Ouch.

Agree with the Sidwell comment above.
If you're one of the best players for your team it drives you on each week to keep making that point. Being a bit part player surrounded by big names may not be a good move for him IMHO.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Nov 2006 15:58

Huntley & Palmer
SpaceCruiser

Oh sorry, I'm still thinking of the third division as the new second division! :oops:

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 29 Nov 2006 16:03

SpaceCruiser
Huntley & Palmer
SpaceCruiser

Oh sorry, I'm still thinking of the third division as the new second division! :oops:

Which is infact League 1, League 2 is The English League's 4th tier...

The mind boggels...

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 29 Nov 2006 16:04

Doesn't really count but Matty Upson going, was a mistake, even the injury might have been avoided?

LOL we didn't win for 5 games after he left?

I know we would never (have) paid the wages but if he'd stayed...

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 29 Nov 2006 16:48

howser I have always been a big fan of Jamie Curo' always thought he left too soon, would have been interesting to see him in the prem line up, my only doubts about him are he is an instinctive goal scorer and uncertain as to whether his general work rate would have been high enough at this level, however I tend to think he would have been more productive in front of goal than leroy has been so far though. !

He lined up for Norwich when they were in the Premiership. And was as much use as a North Korean Polling Station.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 29 Nov 2006 16:57

handbags_harris
howser I have always been a big fan of Jamie Curo' always thought he left too soon, would have been interesting to see him in the prem line up, my only doubts about him are he is an instinctive goal scorer and uncertain as to whether his general work rate would have been high enough at this level, however I tend to think he would have been more productive in front of goal than leroy has been so far though. !

He lined up for Norwich when they were in the Premiership. And was as much use as a North Korean Polling Station.
Or probably about as much use as he was in South Korea!

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 29 Nov 2006 17:10

Indeed. He only seemed to score last night because the defender made a mistake.

wiggso

by wiggso » 29 Nov 2006 17:15

the one that springs to mind first is young jamie ashdown, though at the time it seemed a good move for him

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

Re: Making the wrong decision.

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Nov 2006 17:18

Gordons Cumming Henderson

Did he really make the wrong decision? How was he to know that we would be in the Premiership at the same time as his current employers. In fact I would go as far as to say him and Ashdown made the right decision at the right stage of their careers, it's just that they didn't turn out to be as great as expected.

Really wrong decisions would be Cureton and Tyson for me. If Tyson had ground it out as a squad player and concentrated on becoming a left winger, Convey would be a name none of us may ever of heard of.