In The Independent tomorrow....

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

In The Independent tomorrow....

by Dirk Gently » 08 Dec 2006 16:52

... an in-depth and (I'm told!) very revealing interview with John Madejski.

From what I know of this so far, JM will be talking about the sale of Premiership clubs to foreign owners, and how he would not be averse to putting Reading up for sale if the right buyer came along with the right price. He believes that, with the state of English football as it is, "Reading will not be able to remain in the Premiership without a large cash injection."
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 08 Dec 2006 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Dec 2006 17:17

Same old story........

More tired old repeats than the BBC at Christmas!

Does the Chairman get a fee for all of these reruns?!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Dec 2006 17:20

This is a brand new one - done this week.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Dec 2006 17:26

Dirk Gently This is a brand new one - done this week.

But same old content.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Dec 2006 17:30

Platypuss

But same old content.

Not from what I'm told. This is more in-depth than previous ones, because journos are a. starting to take Reading more seriously and b. delving a bit deeper after the West Ham and Liverpool takeover stuff.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 08 Dec 2006 19:36

We don't want the highlight of our season to be an afternoon in October.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Dec 2006 19:47

Dirk Gently
Platypuss

But same old content.

Not from what I'm told. This is more in-depth than previous ones, because journos are a. starting to take Reading more seriously and b. delving a bit deeper after the West Ham and Liverpool takeover stuff.

What exactly do we want JM to be talking about - the plight of Pandas, the war in Iraq, life on other planets... ? Of course the content is going to be RFC and it's gonig to focus on new investors. And even if he says teh same old thing that is important to know. I look forward to it.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: In The Independent tomorrow....

by Forbury Lion » 08 Dec 2006 20:29

Dirk Gently He believes that, with the state of English football as it is, "Reading will not be able to remain in the Premiership without a large cash injection."
The league table suggests otherwise, but I suppose we're unlikely to win the Premiership without a cash injection.

I wouldn't be upset if we were relegated, as long as we continued to play the Reading way, In fact, I would prefer it if we didn't sell out.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 08 Dec 2006 21:41

Wages could be a problem.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Dec 2006 22:25

Forbury Lion
Dirk Gently He believes that, with the state of English football as it is, "Reading will not be able to remain in the Premiership without a large cash injection."
The league table suggests otherwise

I'd like to believe this but I'm having doubts.

Everything is looking ok at the moment

BUT

1 - we're an unknown quantity at the moment which most teams are underestimating

2 - we're flying high on confidence after doing so well last season

3 - the players are on comparatively tiny wages at the moment having come up from obscurity

4 - we currently have excellent players

5 - we currently have one of the best managers in the game and he won't stay around for ever

It's quite possible that when we're taken more seriously (1), when the novelty and the high spirts wear thin and reality hits us and we start struggling (2), and when we suddenly treble player wages (3), and when our best players leave for 'bigger' clubs anyway (4) and when our manager retires/leaves (5) we'll be in a situation with mediocre players on massive wages with no spirit and an average manager and with the number of fans we have (compared to much bigger clubs) we will start to struggle and fall back down to obscurity.

We may have it good right now but only because we're playing with the spirit, the confidence and world class players on tiny wages. It may change.

I'm in total pessimist mode now - I don't necessarily believe this will happen, but it's not outside of the realms of possiblity. :(

Am I talking rubbish?

Memories Of India

by Memories Of India » 09 Dec 2006 00:18

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Forbury Lion

BUT

1 - we're an unknown quantity at the moment which most teams are underestimating

3 - the players are on comparatively tiny wages at the moment having come up from obscurity

5 - we currently have one of the best managers in the game and he won't stay around for ever

It's quite possible that when we're taken more seriously (1), when the novelty and the high spirts wear thin and reality hits us and we start struggling (2), and when we suddenly treble player wages (3), and when our best players leave for 'bigger' clubs anyway (4) and when our manager retires/leaves (5) we'll be in a situation with mediocre players on massive wages with no spirit and an average manager and with the number of fans we have (compared to much bigger clubs) we will start to struggle and fall back down to obscurity.

We may have it good right now but only because we're playing with the spirit, the confidence and world class players on tiny wages. It may change.

I'm in total pessimist mode now - I don't necessarily believe this will happen, but it's not outside of the realms of possiblity. :(

Am I talking rubbish?

No, you're not talking rubbish, what you have outlined is certain to come true at some point.

At some point, we'll be relegated. We haven't entered some relegation-free Never Never Land. We'll be OK this season, probably next as well, after then who knows.

In my mind, the challenge for the club is now to understand the next ten year plan. We've achieved what JM originally set out i.e. top flight football. What the club needs to do is to understand who replaces every current member of the first team squad, over what timeframe, how is it paid for, etc. and how to achieve the best answers to these concerns plus others without getting relegated.

The Cube

by The Cube » 09 Dec 2006 00:33

Platypuss

But same old content.

Just read the online version and the only new thing I spotted was that Seol cost £3m.

topfuller

by topfuller » 09 Dec 2006 08:01

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/comment/article2060012.ece

John Madejski: 'Without deep pockets you are wasting your time'

Published: 09 December 2006

Having guided his club from relative obscurity to the top six of the Premiership, the Reading chairman is ready to sell up. He tells Matthew Beard why it could be good for the club

In a world where most owners of Premiership clubs tend to be reticent if not downright misleading when asked whether they could ever sell their team, Reading's chairman, John Madejski, comes across as a breath of fresh air. The club may have just fulfilled its greatest ambition by playing - and more than holding its own - in the top division but his answer is quite simple.

Yes, Reading is for sale, he says without a trace of embarrassment, so long as the offer is a good one.

"I am laying out my stall a bit," he says relaxing at his Berkshire mansion. "We've got to show progress. The brand is getting stronger all the time and if there is a billionaire who wants a nice accessory down the M4 [motorway] then come and talk to me. Apart from Manchester United, unless you've got a sugar daddy with really deep pockets, you're wasting your time. Competing against [Roman] Abramovich is getting more difficult and we are just seeing [wages] going up and up and up. I always thought that sooner or later they would come back into sync but they haven't - it's gone through the roof.

It depends upon our fortunes - I might be chairman in five years' time."

Indeed, his claim that he would rather get out of the game than be forced to further bankroll the team is viewed with suspicion among some fans who feel Premiership glamour may come between the chairman and a divorce from the club.

Madejski, who got rich by selling off the car classifieds magazine Auto Trader, has seen his wealth more than double in the past five years to around a quarter of a billion, according to the weighty hardback Rich List that sits on the glass coffee table in front of us. "Inflation," he explains, before complaining about the lighting in the room and diverting to a brief talk on the Portuguese artist De Souza, whose oil painting of a naked bather hangs above the fireplace.

The tiger economies of the Far East have proved a lucrative market for Madejski's consumer titles, especially Malaysia, and he reckons the region may also be harbouring the future owner of Reading. "There's a lot of substantially wealthy individuals out there.

Premiership soccer clubs are becoming the fashion accessory of the billionaire," he says.

"You can't keep Reading in the Premiership unless you get someone to spend these insufferable sums of money. It's hideous. In order to do that [you need to] bring in someone to pay their salaries.

In the Thames Valley there will be a ceiling to prices. You couldn't possibly have the place full of toffs. I don't think anybody would come to Reading to put prices through the roof because it would negate the whole thing. I would hope that someone with deep pockets would maintain the status quo."

Rumours abound regarding a potential suitor, but Madejski says there's been "very little" serious interest so far. "If we survive the Premiership this season then there will be something next year. There's nothing serious yet. It will be serious when someone calls me directly."

Madejski is understandably reluctant to put a price tag on the club's assets, but, as a guide, he has invested £50m in the club. In the same way that the built-in wine racks in Madejski's kitchen at home cannot cope with champagne sent post-promotion from well-wishers, so the stadium bearing his name is struggling with capacity. Madejski hopes early next year to be granted planning permission for a "sexy" expansion to take the stadium capacity to 38,000 by adding an extra tier on three sides of the stadium at a cost of £15m-£20m.

"The dilemma is that we can fill out what we've got but we need to get more bums on seats to pay our way," he says. "If we were assured of spending several years in the Premiership then it's a no-brainer. However, it would be a big worry to me to spend that kind of money with a possibility of relegation. It is a problem."

Madejski claims to make a virtue out of not being a football fan - he says it helps him see sense in the transfer market - and, just as when Reading were in the lower divisions, he watches most home games but only occasionally travels away.
On a recent trip to Anfield he was impressed by the "1970s time-warp" tradition and the friendliness but couldn't help noticing that, contrary to his expectations, the directors' lounge was "not that big".

As for joining the brethren of Premiership club chairmen, Madejski is not interested, although he is looking forward to hosting his friend, the Everton chairman and impresario, Bill Kenwright, who owns a Windsor theatre Madejski patronises.

Madejski never fails to point out his varied interests - he owns 18 companies, two hotels and is a renowned arts patron - and there is always a modicum of disdain for the game that has made him famous.

Of the appeal of finally reaching the Premiership, his first response is: "I do like the way the game is not always played on a Saturday which means I can have those free. There's a lot of weekends we have off because of internationals and that's nice because it makes life a lot more convivial for somebody like me who is not a total football fanatic."

Madejski says arriving, as the fourth oldest professional club in the land into the top flight, was a slow-burning affair since Reading were promoted with a record points total by March, but he admits there have been moments that have caught his breath. "We've had such a long time to get used to it because we got promoted in March but of course it's a thrill when you go downstairs and see people like Wayne Rooney or Thierry Henry coming out of the dressing room.

It's a bit surreal. When you see these icons of football strutting around you can't help but be impressed."

Little over a year ago Madejski was complaining of poor attendances, considering they were in the process of running away with the Championship.

Since the turn of the year, however, there has hardly been a spare seat at the 24,000-capacity stadium that bears his name and the demand for Premiership tickets in Reading's introductory season in the top flight has attracted touts on matchdays for the first time anyone can remember.

Although Madejski continues to drop into the home dressing room shortly before kick-off to wish the team well, his pre-match laps around the pitch to whip up the hitherto impassive crowd are less frequent. In terms of supporter motivation, the man who has transformed Reading with his millions for almost two decades, considers that part of his work to be largely completed.

"I can't believe it's the same club, I really can't," he says. "The supporters now are probably some of the most vociferous in the country. That's been an enormous surprise to me because for 16 years I've been saying 'Come on! Get behind the team!' and there was this wall of silence. You give them success and they will do that for you. Sometimes you need to do that when you are not successful but that's the way things are."

Three months into the season and Steve Coppell's team are sixth. While today's visitors, Watford, and Sheffield United - the two other promoted teams - remain close to the bottom, Reading already have more than half the points deemed necessary for survival. Such progress is all the more impressive because the £3m South Korean midfielder Seol Ki-Hyeon was the only significant addition to the cut-price Championship line-up, while injury has reduced Dave Kitson to 45 minutes Premiership play.

Madejski believes that the 3-1 win against Tottenham last month, coming after three October weeks when they lost five games and conceded 14 goals (albeit against some of the division's big beasts) was crucial. "That win was the most important of the season," he says. "We always knew we were going to have that enormous period where we were going to be playing against the crème de la crème and we did ourselves proud."

He bristles at suggestions that the barren period was in any way a "wobble". "It's hardly been a wobble. The Premiership is about two divisions in itself and when you are playing the top half consistently then it can be a problem. It takes a stout heart to go out there and front those guys but we managed to get something out of Manchester United, we scored the only goal in the Chelsea game [when Ivar Ingimarsson's own goal gave the champions a 1-0 win] and that could have gone either way.

The only one where we got a drubbing was the Arsenal game. I don't think anyone would have beaten them on that afternoon. It wasn't funny and they played a tremendous game of football.

"We knew we were going into this period of attrition and we knew what our expectations were, which were not vastly different to what we achieved. I don't think anybody is expecting us to be champions."

Although Reading have made many friends in the top flight, the return fixture at Stamford Bridge on Boxing Day is a potential grudge match.

Chelsea won at the Madejski but the lasting memory is the controversy over injuries to their goalkeepers Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini. Jose Mourinho claimed that Reading's Stephen Hunt could have pulled out of the tackle that hospitalised Cech and then poured oil on troubled waters by criticising his hosts' medical back-up.

"We have never publicly remonstrated because we didn't see any point in saying anything," Madejski says. "I'm not going to jump into the arena and bring myself down to the level of trying to prove black's white when it's not," said Madejski of the tackle. He was prepared to be less reticent about the subsequent "catcalling" regarding the competence of the local ambulance service, which was forced into publishing a log of that evening's activities to refute the Chelsea claims.

"I have to take issue with that. I wish Cech every success with his recovery. Sadly, when football is played at this pace then accidents will happen. However, I didn't like the way the services are brought into question because they shouldn't be - they are excellent.
They give us such a wonderful service at the football ground. It was up to their squad to demand what they wanted - and everything's there.

"As anybody knows at a function like that, an ambulance is in situ anyway. The whole incident is unfortunate, but I don't want to rake it up again. We've tried to hold a dignified silence because we didn't see the point in wading in and catcalling because we don't see why we should. As far as we're concerned we have done nothing wrong."

The Chelsea game did not even give him the rare chance of meeting someone richer than himself, as Roman Abramovich did not show ("I think he may have been out of the country - sorting out his bloody domestic situation").

Madejski could also be forgiven for wanting to sell up at a time when being from Reading is a source of pride rather than mild social embarrassment. Though he hails from the Potteries, he has lived in Berkshire's capital town as man, boy and multi-millionaire. "Reading has always had an inferiority complex. There's no doubt that being in the Premiership has lifted that. It's quite extraordinary. The spirit and the confidence of the place has totally changed. Hitherto it's been a satellite of London, a dormitory town. It's not had its own determination. People of Reading love it and I love it because I'm all about community - I'm not a football fanatic.

"There will be more kids weaned on Reading than before and that's great because they can identify with their community. In this day and age - when the family unit is breaking down - I think that football achieves an awful lot, there's not all bad things. We had a great fervour about making Reading a city. Big deal! It doesn't change anything. Getting into the Premiership - boy, it's changed!"

At the end of our interview Madejski slides his slight form into one of his Bentleys - not the one he arrived in an hour earlier - to get a puncture fixed at the local dealership (Pangbourne is that sort of place). "The dealer wants to show him something new," explains his assistant. "John has worked out he can get a free ride back home that way."

Typical Madejski - always an eye for the main chance.

Gordon Cumming's right ho

by Gordon Cumming's right ho » 09 Dec 2006 08:36

God I love that man.

Nothing new here, except the GBP 3 mill for Seol, but that might just be inacurrate reporting because it wasn't attributed to the Mad Man.

Sensible. Feet on the ground. And what he says about sense of community, family units breaking down, pegging prices in an extended Mad House (possibly), finding a nice Malaysian benefactor (who can then reap returns on fixed match betting) and vociferous support is absolutely spot on.

Pity he's a Tory.

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 09 Dec 2006 11:14

what jonny M doing in the independat? i would have thought he was more of a daily mail man myself.

fruits

by fruits » 09 Dec 2006 11:23

Gordon Cumming's right ho God I love that man.

Nothing new here, except the GBP 3 mill for Seol, but that might just be inacurrate reporting because it wasn't attributed to the Mad Man.

Sensible. Feet on the ground. And what he says about sense of community, family units breaking down, pegging prices in an extended Mad House (possibly), finding a nice Malaysian benefactor (who can then reap returns on fixed match betting) and vociferous support is absolutely spot on.

Pity he's a Tory.

I would think the Tories could do worse than put part of Mr Mad´s views about family and community in their election manifesto. Sure it would appeal to millions of voters. He certainly makes more sense than "Hug a hoodie Cameron". Obviously sees the future in the Far East rather than bureaucratic Europe. Pity he is n´t a bit younger could have been the best PM, we never had.
As usual several errors by the journalist, we are away to Watford not at home and I am sure we did not pay 3m for Seol. Good article overall.
Not a word about Priscilla White ,most unusual.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 09 Dec 2006 17:16

topfuller John Madejski: 'Without deep pockets you are wasting your time'

Having guided his club from relative obscurity to the top six of the Premiership, the Reading chairman is ready to sell up. He tells Matthew Beard why it could be good for the club

The brand is getting stronger all the time and if there is a billionaire who wants a nice accessory down the M4 then come and talk to me.

A billionaire's 'nice accessory'? Not an attractive prospect if you ask me..........

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Dec 2006 18:37

Forbury Lion

Perhaps Mr Mad was misquoted and he actually said "Reading will not be able to win the Premiership without a large cash injection."?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Dec 2006 18:59

Forbury Lion

BUT

Am I talking rubbish?

Your bang on.......

Over the next couple of transfer windows our star players will be cherry picked by richer clubs and our manager could also be prized away as well.

Our manager is the most important figure, but we should all enjoy this season right now while it lasts. We will not have it this good in future seasons. We will eventually be back to where we came from. But we may be able to establish ourselves as a bottom half Prem club over the years. That is possible.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 09 Dec 2006 20:40

Forbury Lion

BUT

Am I talking rubbish?

Sorry but disagree with some of your points.

1. An unknown quanity? In this day and age of wall-to-wall media coverage, pro-zone and the such like I think that's simply not true. I agree that the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea looked as though they simply had to turn up to win but that's not the case with most teams we've played at the Mad Stad.

2. Football's largely a confidence game certainly, but you'd have thought that the confidence would have been knocked well and truly out of them after the results during October which only goes to prove that there's more to us than just that.

3. A compartively tiny wage? How do you know that? Apart from Sidwell our players are queuing up to extend their contract which would suggest to me that our wage structure isn't far (if at all) off the norm for a lower-mid table Premiership football club. After all, if the players signing extended deals are as confident as you suggest they would be exploring other options if our wages were that "tiny".

4. Yes, we do have many excellent players. With that I agree with you.

5. No, Coppell won't stay around for ever. But perhaps both he and club will meet each others needs for many seasons to come before they do part company.

And as for the interview in the Indpendent I can't help but think the our Chairman does protest a little too much about not being a football fanatic. I'd lay odds on him being at the helm 3 years from now regardless of the division we find ourselves in at that point.

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1