Time to freshen things up

Citizen

Time to freshen things up

by Citizen » 23 Dec 2006 18:08

We're having a great season. And perhaps some of our expectations have been raised to an unrealistic level, but hey, don't knock ambition.

Having weathered the big games, we put a decent run together, Coppell gets Manager of the Month, then ... what's happened lately, pretty grim - Newcastle lost, Watford drew, Blackburn lost and Everton lost.

Is that it for this year, no more points till New Year's day?

Coppell must know that we haven't got enough scoring threat. Is the club serious about getting Greg Halford in from Colchester (I though Curo was scoring the goals there).

And should we get Boaz Myhill in from Hull - at least we could still chant "USA, USA" to our keeper.

Something missing in midfield, something not right. Not much today, and not much last week either.

(Well done Murts, 300 games)

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 23 Dec 2006 18:09

I'm sorry, can you blame Hahnemann for either of the goals today?

WSRL

Citizen

by Citizen » 23 Dec 2006 18:13

Wouldn't blame Hahnemann today.

Worst for me today was Seol: he didn't look fit or bothered.

noise

by noise » 23 Dec 2006 18:13

we need to sign parky, need an influential midfielder, still unemployed i think

Citizen

by Citizen » 23 Dec 2006 18:14

I wouldn't be surprised to see Parky named as Northampton manager in the next day or two.

noise

by noise » 23 Dec 2006 18:16

at 39 he still probably has more passion and will give more committed performance than from some of what i saw today

Citizen

by Citizen » 23 Dec 2006 18:18

Is Sidwell in a sulk? He's another who's head seems to be somewhere else.

If he wants away, he ought to try harder to impress now!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Dec 2006 18:18

TBH, there's not a whole lot we can 'freshen up' with. Who else would you atart up front? Shane Long?

But hey, Mr Mad doesn't think we need to buy anyone in January :wink:

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

2 incidents

by Chaney » 23 Dec 2006 18:20

2 incidents shaped todays game IMO , firstly just before HT Soel turns his man just inside the penalty area synically chopped down, you will not see a clearer penalty anyhere this season.
secondly the absolute sitter that Harper missed with still 25 minutes to go on the clock, Im convinced we would have gone on the gain at least a point if any of these had gone in our favour.
The first half today was a re-run of the 2nd half last week, desperately poor, when will we learn that if someone of AJ,s abilty gets the ball you don`t give him time and space to turn?..obviously the lesson didn`t get through because the 2nd goal was almost a carbon copy!!!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 Dec 2006 18:20

Denver Royal TBH, there's not a whole lot we can freshen up with. Who else would you atart up front? Shane Long?

But hey, Mr Mad doesn't think we need to buy anyone in January :wink:

we definately need to bring a new striker to the mad stad in jauary otherwise we might be in trouble.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Dec 2006 18:20

Citizen Wouldn't blame Hahnemann today.

Worst for me today was Seol: he didn't look fit or bothered.

Lay off Seol and take a good look at the defence. Shocking defending for both goals today. Nowhere near tight enough to two dangerous strikers and then allow them time on the ball to turn and tee up their shots. Shoudl have been on their backs and at least given them a nudge - today's ref didn't have the bottle to award any penalties! Also, what was Ivar playing at for the second goal, dawdling and waiting for the ball to come down when he's got someone with the pace of Johnson hot on his heels?!

Citizen

by Citizen » 23 Dec 2006 18:22

Denver Royal is spot on.

With Kitson out, who else is there? I think Long is still better coming off the bench. Lita has been disappointing, but perhaps he needs a run in the side.

Mr Mad needs to think again and spend some money in the Januray sales.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 23 Dec 2006 18:26

Lita looks impressive when he came on and created chances which seol hasn't been doing of late.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Dec 2006 18:26

RoyalBlue What was Ivar playing at for the second goal, dawdling and waiting for the ball to come down when he's got someone with the pace of Johnson hot on his heels?!

If you think Ingimarsson is gonna catch any grief, you've come to the wrong place. Dude gets done just about every time I see him play, but I never read about it in here. :wink:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Dec 2006 18:28

Gilkes thought Lita was very good when he came on. For the next two games I think there is absolutely no point being defensive. Get on the attack and if we get thrashed so be it. I'd go with Seol on the left and Lita in front.

As for freshening things up long term. I don't believe anyone is really sh!t as some would have us believe, but there are cases where although the player has worked hard and is not bad, we definitely need better: Hunt and anyone who's played in the second forward spot spring to mind.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Dec 2006 18:29

Denver Royal
RoyalBlue What was Ivar playing at for the second goal, dawdling and waiting for the ball to come down when he's got someone with the pace of Johnson hot on his heels?!

If you think Ingimarsson is gonna catch any grief, you've come to the wrong place. Dude gets done just about every time I see him play, but I never read about it in here. :wink:
I think he's another who is a great servant and definitely has good things about him, but long term we need more quality. How we could have done with LEscott on our side today.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Dec 2006 18:33

Arch
Denver Royal

I think he's another who is a great servant and definitely has good things about him, but long term we need more quality. How we could have done with LEscott on our side today.

Lescott looked a bit of a porker though!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Dec 2006 18:33

RoyalBlue
Arch
Denver Royal

Lescott looked a bit of a porker though!
Harder to get round, then.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 23 Dec 2006 19:38

I think we need some new players to get us going again.

Some of the current first teamers need to be pushed for their places.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 23 Dec 2006 19:41

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ideally we need two strikers - one to go with Doyle and one for cover for Doyle when he gets injured as he invariably will sooner or later. One midfielder because Harper's weaker than a wet tissue, one defender either as cover or to come in for Ingimarsson and recently I've begun to seriously doubt that Hahnemann has a brain with his distribution or lack of.