Stand up for Steve Coppell

Gregster

Stand up for Steve Coppell

by Gregster » 02 Jan 2007 10:08

Great game yesterday - I think West Ham finally imploded.

From reading KUMB, it seems the 'bling crew' are massively resented (note: Zamora is one of these quoted as ruining the dressing room)

One point though, after having to listen to West Hams seemingly never ending chorus of claret and blue army yesterday (sung at the right tempo and for over 10mins), the East Stand started 'stand up for Steve Coppell' near the end of the game and it seemed that the whole stadium was joining in.

When I looked across the East Stand, the entire stand was on it's feet, singing and clapping in time. A rare sight and obviously everyone had recognised that we've given a team in the Premiership a right thumping in our first season in the top flight. Proud moment.

Then, just as we were about to break the usual 15 second rule of a Reading chant, our drummer started up with BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM Reading.

Please mate, I know you like to bang your drum but please not when we've finally got a supportive chant on the go for a decent length of time. Work with the chants that are catching on NOT against it. It's not a competition.

I'd welcome you trying to control the speed of Blue Army so it can be sung for half the time West Ham showed us how it was done yesterday (and it got very weary that our attempts couldn't drown it out, even with us 5 up) but not at the expense of interrupting other chants.

MOTM yesterday Shorey by a country mile. In the programme before the game yesterday, it showed Lampard as the highest assist total in the Prem with 6, Shorey must have got past that yesterday with adding 4 or so to his total.

Oh yeah, and a big chuckle at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaK7l-dABMA

Dodgy Pardew. This was hinted at on Popbitch not so long ago but as with all things, taken with a pinch of salt.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 02 Jan 2007 10:12

Agreed about the chant. I was in the North Stand around 2/3's were joining in.

Can't disagree about the Shorey thing, he was superb yesterday and fully deserves the praise.

The atmosphere with the drummer can be a bit generic at times, but oxf*rd it we won 6-0 and that's the main thing.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 02 Jan 2007 10:37

I have to agree the Stand Up for Steve Coppell chant was excellent, and was kinda breath taking to see pretty much every body in the stadium standing up and singing.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Jan 2007 10:48

The whole of the Upper West stood - except the remaining West Ham fans in the red seats!

Royals Drummer

by Royals Drummer » 02 Jan 2007 11:00

I agree, I killed it off. sorry,

But,actuially I started it in the NE corner without the drum, it went round the stadium, and it was starting to die in the NE corner so I tried to get added strength, and it died off.

MadMac

by MadMac » 02 Jan 2007 11:01

Alot of the South Stand also stood up when this chant went around, looked bloody amazing...

Gregster

by Gregster » 02 Jan 2007 11:04

Royals Drummer I agree, I killed it off. sorry,

But,actuially I started it in the NE corner without the drum, it went round the stadium, and it was starting to die in the NE corner so I tried to get added strength, and it died off.

Didn't know that it started in NE. I think it would have continued to grow just left but fair play for trying to start it up.

I challenge you to control the pace of Blue Army if you're gonna continue with the drum. If we reach a sustained 5 mins of the chant, you drink for free at a home game. Bank.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 02 Jan 2007 11:05

it did indeed..

i turned to my sister and said... today i am yet again proud to be a loyal royal :D

If i was Stevie Coppell i think i would have shed a tear

Royals Drummer

by Royals Drummer » 02 Jan 2007 11:06

Already hit that mile stone Gregster, managed a couple of 10 mins earlier in the season.

Where can I pick up that drink? :D

Gregster

by Gregster » 02 Jan 2007 11:07

Royals Drummer Already hit that mile stone Gregster, managed a couple of 10 mins earlier in the season.

Sorry, to clarify, I meant the East AND North stand....;-)

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 02 Jan 2007 11:07

Steve Coppell still gets less vocal praise from our fans than Tommy Burns used to.

How queer.

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 02 Jan 2007 11:09

Royals Drummer Already hit that mile stone Gregster, managed a couple of 10 mins earlier in the season.

If you can resist giving it the rehearsed BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM READING! after every goal for the rest of the season I will pay for your ticket and travel to our 1st away game next season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jan 2007 11:12

Gregster

those ten minute bouts of blue army were from both east and north, so he is due that drink already
plus one fivbe minute burst from the whole stadium earlier in the season
i think we can let him off, one slight error yesterday

and to be fair, he links the two stands well, keeps the atmosphere going on many occasions when in the past it would have died

and at least now he makes sure its not just the east stand by the away fans that sing for the whole game

good stuff, keep it up

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 02 Jan 2007 11:14

Mrs Butler If i was Stevie Coppell i think i would have shed a tear

Yes, but thankfully he's not gay.

Gregster

by Gregster » 02 Jan 2007 11:17

brendywendy
Gregster

those ten minute bouts of blue army were from both east and north, so he is due that drink already

and to be fair, he links the two stands well, keeps the atmosphere going on many occasions when in the past it would have died

and at least now he makes sure its not just the east stand by the away fans that sing for the whole game

good stuff, keep it up

This isn't a drummer slating post and trying to keep this civil but I havent heard a Blue Army chant for 10 mins in the East this season.

I'd welcome the drum keeping the pace normal - I can guarantee that if the North starts, the East follows and within 20 secs in singing 'Blarmy' at a rate previously reserved for early '90s hardcore (I appreciated that at the time but I'm getting on now ;-)

Looks like the drummer might be on a few freebies soon......

Royals Drummer

by Royals Drummer » 02 Jan 2007 11:20

Farnborough Royal

If you can resist giving it the rehearsed BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM READING! after every goal for the rest of the season I will pay for your ticket and travel to our 1st away game next season.

Its not rehearsed its the joy of scoring and cheering, just celebrating another great goal!!!
I enjoy it too much to give it up for a couple of drinks! Make me a better offer and we will talk! :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jan 2007 11:20

Gregster
brendywendy
Gregster

good stuff, keep it up

This isn't a drummer slating post and trying to keep this civil but I havent heard a Blue Army chant for 10 mins in the East this season.

I'd welcome the drum keeping the pace normal - I can guarantee that if the North starts, the East follows and within 20 secs in singing 'Blarmy' at a rate previously reserved for early '90s hardcore (I appreciated that at the time but I'm getting on now ;-)

Looks like the drummer might be on a few freebies soon......

i seem to remember them in two early home games when it went on for at least the last ten minutes of each half

but if the east stand didnt hear it it couldnt have happened

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 02 Jan 2007 13:59

Royals Drummer
Farnborough Royal

Its not rehearsed its the joy of scoring and cheering, just celebrating another great goal!!!
I enjoy it too much to give it up for a couple of drinks! Make me a better offer and we will talk! :wink:

The joy of scoring and cheering is celebrating in your own way, going mental. Not having to clap along to BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM READING after every goal. It makes us look like we cant celebrate, especialy with tom hark afterwards. Please stop it.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jan 2007 14:05

Toon Toon Blue army
Royals Drummer
Farnborough Royal

The joy of scoring and cheering is celebrating in your own way, going mental. Not having to clap along to BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM READING after every goal. It makes us look like we cant celebrate, especialy with tom hark afterwards. Please stop it.

how does a drummer going boom boom boom etc stop you celebrating in your own sweet way?

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 02 Jan 2007 14:11

Royals Drummer
Farnborough Royal

after being informed at the mac expo about your trumpet, i am still listening out for your dulcet parping :)

(yes, i am the 14 year old in the reading top) :wink: