What Emre said to Wally

comeonthebiscuitmen

What Emre said to Wally

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 03 Jan 2007 11:43

From an article in today's Times. Full piece below.

Last month, he was involved in a touchline row with Wally Downes, the Reading coach, during Newcastle's 3-2 win at St James' Park. Glenn Roeder, the Newcastle manager, said that Emre had been "upset" by something Downes had said to him, although Steve Coppell , the Reading manager, offered a different take on the matter, claiming that the Turkey midfield player had called Downes "puttana", the Italian word for whore.

"Wally has been reported as saying 'What the f***ing hell's going on?' That's all he said," Coppell said. "There was no personal slur, there was nothing, yet for whatever reason their player (Emre) was angry about it.

"He swore at our people, in Italian for some reason, not knowing our goalkeeping coach is Italian. What Wally said and what Emre said, in their respective languages, bears no comparison."

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 03 Jan 2007 11:44

Emre under the FA spotlight after Howard accuses him of racism
James Ducker
692 words
3 January 2007
The Times
(c) 2007 Times Newspapers Limited. All rights reserved
* New controversy for Turkey player

* Investigation into Goodison incident

The FA has launched an investigation after Emre Belozoglu, the Newcastle United midfield player, was accused of racially abusing Tim Howard, the Everton goalkeeper, during his team's 3-0 defeat at Goodison Park on Saturday.

The inquiry was triggered after Dermot Gallagher, the referee, included in his match report that Howard had claimed that he was the subject of racist taunts from Emre.

Although it is not known what Emre is claimed to have said, the alleged incident is understood to have occurred moments before half-time when Newcastle were awarded a penalty after Leon Osman, the Everton midfield player, fouled Kieron Dyer.

Everton's players were initially thought to have been angered by Emre's calls for Gallagher to show Osman a yellow card, but it has since emerged that Howard was incensed by a racist remark that the Turk allegedly made after the United States goalkeeper had intervened in a dispute between Emre and Joseph Yobo, the Everton defender.

Gallagher eventually restored order after a 20-man melee, but the arguments resumed as the players disappeared down the tunnel at half-time. Everton's players were told after the game not to discuss the matter further.

A spokesman for the FA said: "We have received the referee's report, which mentions that an Everton player claimed he received racial abuse from another player. The next step is for us to speak to Everton and Newcastle."

Ahmet Bulut, Emre's agent, last night rejected claims that the player had made any racist remarks during the game. "I spoke with Emre and he said that he never said anything racist to the player," Bulut said.

"His best friend at Newcastle is Obafemi Martins, who is black. These claims are not true. Emre never had any problems when he played in Turkey or Italy and he has never had any problems with other players in England, either.

"On the field he is an aggressive player, like other players are, but he would never make racist remarks. My English is bad, but his is even worse and he wouldn't even know these racist words."

Everton confirmed that the FA had been in contact. A spokesman for the Merseyside club said: "The FA have been in touch with the club and we will be discussing the matter with them in the days ahead."

While Emre, who coincidentally snubbed Everton in favour of joining Newcastle for Pounds 3.8 million in July 2005, has a reputation for being mildmannered and likeable off the field, he is no stranger to controversy on it.

Last month, he was involved in a touchline row with Wally Downes, the Reading coach, during Newcastle's 3-2 win at St James' Park. Glenn Roeder, the Newcastle manager, said that Emre had been "upset" by something Downes had said to him, although Steve Coppell , the Reading manager, offered a different take on the matter, claiming that the Turkey midfield player had called Downes "puttana", the Italian word for whore.

"Wally has been reported as saying 'What the f***ing hell's going on?' That's all he said," Coppell said. "There was no personal slur, there was nothing, yet for whatever reason their player (Emre) was angry about it.

"He swore at our people, in Italian for some reason, not knowing our goalkeeping coach is Italian. What Wally said and what Emre said, in their respective languages, bears no comparison."

In February last year, Emre was given a six-match international ban -later reduced to four games on appeal -and fined SwFr15,000 (about Pounds 6,200) for his part in a post-match brawl that blighted Turkey's 2006 World Cup qualifier against Switzerland the previous November.

Leon Mann, a spokesman for Kick It Out, football's anti-racism campaign, said: "We welcome the news that the Football Association will investigate the alleged incident and hope they are able to get to the bottom of what happened."

(c) Times Newspapers Ltd, 2007

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 03 Jan 2007 11:51

He has a black friend and so can't be racist.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 03 Jan 2007 11:53

southbank1871 He has a black friend and so can't be racist.

LOL That old chestnut :lol: ... So does that mean that someone who is black cannot make racist remarks? Surely it is racist to assume that is the case :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2007 11:55

Ahmet Bulut, Emre's agent, last night rejected claims that the player had made any racist remarks during the game. "I spoke with Emre and he said that he never said anything racist to the player," Bulut said.

"His best friend at Newcastle is Obafemi Martins, who is black. These claims are not true. Emre never had any problems when he played in Turkey or Italy and he has never had any problems with other players in England, either.

Ah the old I'm not racist, I have black friends, line.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What Emre said to Wally

by M4 Junction 11 » 03 Jan 2007 11:58

comeonthebiscuitmen From an article in today's Times.

I think we all know what Emre said to Wally and what the FA is doing about it.
The clue is in the acronym

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jan 2007 12:06

My daughter was once accused of being racist to a jew. :shock:

Her reply in defence was " How could I be racist, I have a German friend" :lol:

Bless her.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 03 Jan 2007 12:12

P.W. Botha How can I be racist, I have black slaves

Reality is though, whilst having black friends doesn't mean you're not racist it's harder to claim not to be racist without black friends I suppose. Get bored with the whole thing to be honest. I have nice friends - don't really give two hoots about their dna profiles.
Last edited by TommyF on 03 Jan 2007 12:15, edited 1 time in total.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jan 2007 12:15

Where's Wally while all this is going on?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 03 Jan 2007 12:33

The Times Quote of Emre's Agent My English is bad, but his is even worse and he wouldn't even know these racist words."

Absolute bollocks. Everybody knows that pretty much the first thing people learn when they come over to a new country is swearwords and insults. And Emre's been in England for, what, 18 months? If he hasn't bothered to learn the language then how the hell does he play with English players?!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 03 Jan 2007 12:37

They all look the same to me, it's what Stephen would have wanted

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 03 Jan 2007 13:34

Sebastian I live with an Indian
Must be interesting when you go for dinner together and the waiter asks if he/she has a reservation.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 03 Jan 2007 14:12

Oxf*rd Turks and their racist behaviour. Savages the lot of 'em.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 03 Jan 2007 15:36

"His best friend at Newcastle is Obafemi Martins, who is black. "

Emre, yesterday:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Jan 2007 17:53

Emre, yesterday.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Jan 2007 17:55

Jerry St Clair "His best friend at Newcastle is Obafemi Martins, who is black. "

You couldn't make it up. He needs to call a press conference flanked by Rougier and John Salako.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 03 Jan 2007 17:58

Racism isn't just discrimination against black people :lol: :lol:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 03 Jan 2007 19:35

Sebastian I live with an Indian but hate all people that can't trace their heritage back to William the Conqueror.

Spacey won't be happy.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 03 Jan 2007 21:48

he may not be racist, just said a racist thing to Howard to offend him.
i have a girlfriend but i sometimes say sexist things.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Jan 2007 22:04

To be air this is probably what happened:

"Hi mate"

"Hi Wally"

"What did you say???"

"Nothing, I just said 'Hi Wally'"

"You cheeky little git."

"What? That's your name right?"

"Oh yeah. But you didn't mean it like that"

"Yes I did, I was innocently saying hi..."