Hunt

Pele_Kitson

Hunt

by Pele_Kitson » 04 Jan 2007 08:07

New Reading deal for Hunt
tribalfooball.com - January 03, 2007

Reading midfielder Stephen Hunt has been handed a new two-and-a-half year contract.

The midfield ace, 25, is the seventh player from the Royals' Championship-winning side to pledge his future to the club.

He follows Ibrahima Sonko, Graeme Murty, Marcus Hahnemann, Glen Little and Icelandic duo Brynjar Gunnarsson and Ivar Ingimarsson in committing until 2010.

Hunt penned a one-year deal last summer but has been given an extension.

In October, he received death threats from Chelsea fans blaming him for injuring keeper Petr Cech.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2007 08:39

Not his biggest fan but he's becoming a useful squad member so makes sense to tie him down. Congratulations.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 04 Jan 2007 09:17

I really, really loved his goal celebration on Monday. May there be many more.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 04 Jan 2007 09:42

Personally I am chuffed for him.

Really liked him last year and thought the effort he put in was always 100%. He is the type of footballer that is never going to set the world alight but you can see he really enjoys playing and when you enjoy it that much the effort you put in counter balances any downsides there are to his play.

We all know that he can hold his own at championship level and the premiership is a big step up in class which given all the events he has had to endure this season he has done remarkably well.

Well done Hunty.. 100% true professional, playing the game he loves.

His celebration on Monday tells you what Hunty is all about.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Jan 2007 09:54

Squad player at best.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Jan 2007 10:24

Maguire Squad player at best.

So? If contracts were only offered to regular first teamers (which Hunt currently is) then we might be a little short of players.

He fully deserves it my opinion.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Jan 2007 10:26

Wycombe Royal

So? If contracts were only offered to regular first teamers (which Hunt currently is) then we might be a little short of players.

Agreed - and I bet he's relatively lowly-paid, by Premier League standards.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2007 10:29

Can't see him being a first choicer at anywhere higher than lower mid-table Championship. But he can certainly hold his own as replacement. He has bags of enthusiasm and tenacity. He has that little bit of luck that keeps a bobbling ball with him and you know he'll get on the oppositions nerves.

He lacks the skill and finesse of a first teamer in the prem, but I'm really glad he's earnt this contract. He thoroughly deserves it and he's done a fantastic job for us this season.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Jan 2007 10:33

Anyone who gives 100% each game is worth his weight in gold.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2007 10:34

Gordons Cumming Anyone who gives 100% each game is worth his weight in gold.

Don't start the Hughes debate again for God's sake Gordy!

:wink:

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 04 Jan 2007 10:34

Has this been confirmed by the club? If so I'm a bit surprised that we've offered him a contract until 2009, would have expected just a year extension. Still I'm pleased for the lad and I hope he continues to improve in the same way he has at his time with the club so far.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 04 Jan 2007 10:37

I was there at Elm Park Has this been confirmed by the club? If so I'm a bit surprised that we've offered him a contract until 2009, would have expected just a year extension. Still I'm pleased for the lad and I hope he continues to improve in the same way he has at his time with the club so far.

Year extensions get given to players over 30.. based on past deals.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Jan 2007 10:38

I was there at Elm Park Has this been confirmed by the club? If so I'm a bit surprised that we've offered him a contract until 2009, would have expected just a year extension. Still I'm pleased for the lad and I hope he continues to improve in the same way he has at his time with the club so far.

I did wonder that too - I wonder if he's agreed to any "relegation clauses" in the contract. That would presumably have allowed us to extend it for longer than if the whole term of contract was at PL wage levels.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2007 10:41

Can't see this confirmed anywhere. Shocking news if it is I'm afraid. Always gives his all but nowhere near good enough long term.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2007 10:43

Royalee Can't see this confirmed anywhere. Shocking news if it is I'm afraid. Always gives his all but nowhere near good enough long term.

perfectly good enough to be second/third choice winger and a desperation striker. Also means should he drop out of favour we'd get a fairly decent price for him from a championship side. I'm sure there would be plenty who'd pay reasonable money for him.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 04 Jan 2007 10:49

Oh come on.. Stephen Hunt is brilliant... No real skill, definitely not 'premiership' quality, bizarre at times to watch and a pretty awful touch. Makes it even better when he skins players in his 'unique' style..

A player that is all about effort, passion and dedication. He's almost like the "soul" of our team...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2007 10:50

Ian Royal
Royalee Can't see this confirmed anywhere. Shocking news if it is I'm afraid. Always gives his all but nowhere near good enough long term.

perfectly good enough to be second/third choice winger and a desperation striker. Also means should he drop out of favour we'd get a fairly decent price for him from a championship side. I'm sure there would be plenty who'd pay reasonable money for him.

...Or we could do what any other Premiership club would be doing and look to improve our squad. If it hadn't been for the vast improvement in Lita's form and Hunt's dropping over Xmas, we'd have been stuffed at both the big boys. The best games Hunt's had this season have been Charlton and West Ham, and both teams were shocking. We lack width and creativity when he plays against teams who can defend properly I'm afraid.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Jan 2007 10:51

Wycombe Royal

So you agree with me.

He's not very good, and I hope he can't get anywhere near the Reading team in 2.5 years time ;-)

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Jan 2007 10:54

Maguire I hope he can't get anywhere near the Reading team in 2.5 years time ;-)
Unless he improves or we suffer alot of injuries I can't see him being selected for our Champions League final squad.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2007 10:56

Royalee
Ian Royal

...Or we could do what any other Premiership club would be doing and look to improve our squad. If it hadn't been for the vast improvement in Lita's form and Hunt's dropping over Xmas, we'd have been stuffed at both the big boys. The best games Hunt's had this season have been Charlton and West Ham, and both teams were shocking. We lack width and creativity when he plays against teams who can defend properly I'm afraid.

We have more important areas to improve than left wing, especially with convey coming back. it is very far from a priority and keeping hunty at the club, on probably fairly low wages is a good idea.

Keeping Hunt does not mean we are not going to improve the squad. Hunt was only dropped to play a more solid defensive formation and style. Funny how he came straight back in to the team after Utd and Chelsea, and we then went on to notch up the best win in the premiership this season.