Nicest Reading players

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Jan 2007 17:34

dennis nelson spent an afternoon with trevor senior at ascot races a few years back, very down to earth and polite
He is isn't he. Mad Max was very nice too.

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 05 Jan 2007 17:35

Got to be Linden Jones - the kindest Welshman I have ever met. Insisted on buying me drinks at the old Railway Tavern in Reading, even though I was underage at the time !!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jan 2007 17:44

spickroyal Shaka and Archie were both good guys. Stuart Beavon is my all time favourite though, he is one of the world's gooduns (largely because he used to buy me lots of beer!).

Most miserable, thick cnut has to be Sidders.

Have you ever actually spoken to Sidders?!

When he got into the lift with us at the hotel on New Years Day there was absolutely no reason for him to have to strike up a conversation but it was he who spoke to us first. Said hello again and asked us whether we'd had a good evening and been out partying. Very chatty, as was he, his wife and Bobby Zamora's other half the evening before. Certainly didn't strike me as miserable or thick.

Maybe players respond to the way supporters treat them. I think he appreciated the fact that we allowed him and his family to finish their meal before going over, apologising for interrupting and politely asking for his autograph. My daughter was too shy amd embarrassed to approach him but Mrs Sidwell made a point of calling out to her to come over to their table.

BTW, good news is that his son is already starting to chase a football around!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Jan 2007 17:53

Terry Hurlock was an utter gentleman whilst we chatted, sipping neat vodka, at an illegal bare knuckle gipsy fight. Charming man.

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 05 Jan 2007 18:08

Kitson presented an award to my sister at some Reading sport awards last year. Asked for her autograph (was joking, but got it anyway!). Spoke to him afterwards and seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 05 Jan 2007 18:22

Marcus is really friendly, but Martin Keown was a nobber (no, not a Hob Nobber).

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 05 Jan 2007 18:24

Martin Butler, Harper, Murts, Hughes, Hahnemann, Curo were all very nice when i met them...

Still waiting to meet Shane Long :D

Amongst the sheep

by Amongst the sheep » 05 Jan 2007 18:45

Murty and Kitson

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Jan 2007 18:52

Curo and Butler were both very forthcoming at training many years ago, I would hope Mrs B and CN1F still have the pics.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 05 Jan 2007 19:02

Harper is a pr1ck, was asked to sign his autograph for a mate of mines kid the other week and didn't even bother speaking, just grunted and signed.

All that money and he couldn't even be bothered to smile and say afew words.
Last edited by alad on 05 Jan 2007 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

Elm Park Forever

by Elm Park Forever » 05 Jan 2007 19:03

Marcus seems like a nice bloke. Was speaking to him on one of the quieter parts of the bus tour and he threw down his wristband to me.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Jan 2007 19:05

Murts of course is really nice, as shown on his radio apperences.

Also Sonks is a top bloke, but there's no-one really who's not nice - it's part of the "Reading Way."

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 05 Jan 2007 19:07

Lita's been a top bloke every time ive met him, most of the times were in clubs and he still had time to chat

LimpBiscuit

by LimpBiscuit » 05 Jan 2007 19:08

Robin Friday was charm personified, as he apologised for pissing in my pint, at the Boars head. This was after I had drunk some of it!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Jan 2007 19:24

Steve Swales (sp?) was a decetn down to earth lad. When he had a great spell of performance we had a ncie chat where he played it down massively saying he was just doing his best and it was the whole team which was doing well.

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 05 Jan 2007 19:24

According to the lad who works in Carphone Warehouse in York, but used to work the Mad Stad hotel. Murty is a top bloke, as is Mr Mad himself. Whilst Sidders is a light weight (I presumed from a drinking viewpoint).

Bruce Stuckey presented me the Mapledurham Boys Under 13 Player of the Season award and he seemed very nice (it was a long time ago)

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Jan 2007 19:28

2 world wars, 1 world cup Steve Swales (sp?) was a decetn down to earth lad. When he had a great spell of performance we had a ncie chat where he played it down massively saying he was just doing his best and it was the whole team which was doing well.

LOL he was a oxf*rd - punched me in Utopia once when he was off his face.

Murty is obviously pretty good with the PR, likewise Archie back in the day was sound as anything, used to live down the road from me.

spickroyal

by spickroyal » 05 Jan 2007 19:29

RoyalBlue
spickroyal Shaka and Archie were both good guys. Stuart Beavon is my all time favourite though, he is one of the world's gooduns (largely because he used to buy me lots of beer!).

When he got into the lift with us at the hotel on New Years Day there was absolutely no reason for him to have to strike up a conversation but it was he who spoke to us first. Said hello again and asked us whether we'd had a good evening and been out partying. Very chatty, as was he, his wife and Bobby Zamora's other half the evening before. Certainly didn't strike me as miserable or thick.

Maybe players respond to the way supporters treat them. I think he appreciated the fact that we allowed him and his family to finish their meal before going over, apologising for interrupting and politely asking for his autograph. My daughter was too shy amd embarrassed to approach him but Mrs Sidwell made a point of calling out to her to come over to their table.

We can all be nice or complete cnuts sometimes I suppose and I would like to give him the benfit of the doubt. However, the 2 or 3 times I have seen him, he has come across as aloof and isn't interested in talking to anyone or even smiling for that matter. And I didn't exactly run over like an excited kid and start pissing him off either - a simple "Hi Steve, how's it going" was all.

Seems that more people I know who have had any contact with him share my opinion that yours.

Whilst unfortunate, a big time charlie if ever I saw one.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 05 Jan 2007 19:34

Maguire
2 world wars, 1 world cup Steve Swales (sp?) was a decetn down to earth lad. When he had a great spell of performance we had a ncie chat where he played it down massively saying he was just doing his best and it was the whole team which was doing well.

LOL he was a oxf*rd - punched me in Utopia once when he was off his face.

Murty is obviously pretty good with the PR, likewise Archie back in the day was sound as anything, used to live down the road from me.

Boom boom boom you got done by Swales :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jan 2007 19:35

spickroyal
RoyalBlue

We can all be nice or complete cnuts sometimes I suppose and I would like to give him the benfit of the doubt. However, the 2 or 3 times I have seen him, he has come across as aloof and isn't interested in talking to anyone or even smiling for that matter. And I didn't exactly run over like an excited kid and start pissing him off either - a simple "Hi Steve, how's it going" was all.

Seems that more people I know who have had any contact with him share my opinion that yours.

Whilst unfortunate, a big time charlie if ever I saw one.
Maybe his wife's personality is beginning to rub off on him for the better.