The surprise Players--------So Far ??

howser
Hob Nob Regular

The surprise Players--------So Far ??

by howser » 07 Jan 2007 13:02

Now we have gone past the half season mark I am interested to see who the more local and regular Mad Stad royals think have been our "surprise packets" this season, with the much critisised , both on here and national press, lack of spending during the close season. We had the likes of Sidwell, Doyle and Shorey who were very much expected to make the transition to the Premiership relatively well, as I generally only see the matches either on Sky or the Internet my choices might be slightly off line, but for me anyway, Murty has gone up a level, really miss him when he is out, Gunarsson seems to be so reliable wherever he is asked to fill in, but my top man, for his boundless energy and entheusiasm James Harper is looking very comfortable at this level.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 07 Jan 2007 13:10

The way in which all of them have taken the step up in their stride has surprised most.
Doyle has been a revelation this season, as has Harper (more important to us than Sidwell IMO) and Hunt, who I expected to find the step up a bit to much.
Even Blakey has been awesome.
Proud of the lot of 'em!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Jan 2007 13:13

I expected Hunt not to figure at all - the fact that he has, and has done as well as he has (even as a squad player) must make him a bit of a surprise.

That was brought home to me when he was one of the first-teamers rested for the cup game. In August you'd have thought he'd be first name on the team sheet for a cup match!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Jan 2007 13:17

Despite having slated Harper in the past I'm not too surprised as his performance at this level as most of us who slated him said he'd be mroe sutied to the Prem, and just isn't as good in scrappy lower leagues.

Sidders - never much doubt.

Murts - nto too much surprise, although we were never sure.

Sonko and Ingi - we knew they were good and I don't think anyone's *too* surprised they're holding their own.

Shorey - not much of a surprise that he's tolerating it, but quite a surprise that he's doing so well for me

Hahneman - a keepr's a keeper really. Didn't expect any more or less from him.

Oster and Hunt - quite surprised they've done so well to be honest. Both have proven to be valuable players.

Little - like Shorey - surprised at how well he's donig.

Seol - didn't know too much about him, and given Coppell's record not too surprised he's done his job

Lita - a litttle disappointed to begin with but lately has shown he's capable.

Doyle - obviously the huge surprise. I thought he had a good season last year but never expected him to do so amazingly well in the top flight.

Long - very surprised at his good performances - one to watch.

So for me, and I suspect many others too - Doyle has to be the biggest surprise.

FORZA READING

by FORZA READING » 07 Jan 2007 13:28

at the beginin of the season i thought all the players in the usual startin 11 last year were good enough. but i thought that the subs would let us down very badly (bar lita/kitson/doyle dependin on which one was a sub)
but iv been suprised by Hunt and especially Brynjar Gunnarsson i thought he would be absolutley shocking but he hasnt so well done Brynjar

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 07 Jan 2007 13:32

Murty has been the biggest surprise for me - I really thought he would struggle this season but he has taken everything in his stride and looks like he has played in the Premiership all of his career. When ever he has been out of the side we have struggled which shows just how important he has been.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 07 Jan 2007 13:36

Graeme Murty by a distance for me, too

No one could ever doubt his commitment but I think most of us felt that the Prem might be a bridge too far for him at the latter end of his career.

In my view, in his own way he's been every bit as good as Shorey as our full backs continued their mammoth journey all the way from the lower leagues.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 07 Jan 2007 13:39

UDC has been surprisingly shite for a supposed experienced international/prem player

doylefan

by doylefan » 07 Jan 2007 13:45

at the beginning of the season i thought that Murty, Gunnarsson and Hunt would struggle, but they have all proven me wrong.

I expected Hunt not to feature as much as he has done, but due to Convey's injury he has had his chance. Like a previous post, the fact that he was rested in the FA Cup game, proves that he has become a vauled member of the squad, when last year he was one of the first ones in the team.

Gunnarsson - not played many games, but when he's needed - fantastic response!! the last few games have highlighted that even more.

Murty was always the one that i was worried about this season (dont get me wrong, im a huge murty fan), but im so glad that he has proven me wrong. When he has been injured, the team have looked shakey and def seem more confident with him on the pitch (ok so not against west ham, but u know what i mean). He is a testement to the team - the fact that he has worked his way up the leagues and still contiunes to be a great player!

In all the whole team is playing well, but a mention must go to the 'bargin of the century' as well. Doyle had a great season last year and has continued this in the premiership!! amazing step up and so glad that he's playing for us!!!

Gordon Cumming's right ho

by Gordon Cumming's right ho » 07 Jan 2007 15:38

For me, two players are standout (is that a horrid Americanism?) surprises.

I really thought Murts would struggle and be found out in lots of ways this season. Quite the contrary, we have looked like a team that can really compete at this level when he has been on the pitch... and not quite so when he hasn't.

The other is Nicky Shorey. Yes, everyone rated him before the start but, other than a dodgy two or three games before Chrimbo, he has been immense giving us a total different dimension in defence and especiallyin attack.

I've always been a fan of Harps for the sheer amount of work he gets through and, although he hasn't been a particular shining star, he's more than managed to hold his own in the middle of the park.

I'm ruddy proud of all of them, but what I'm most proud about is the squad/team ethic which has been our most key factor in keeping it altogether and, in Sir Steve's words meant that: "we have overachieved."

mattmartin89

by mattmartin89 » 07 Jan 2007 15:49

Murty..he has been outstanding..never thought he would have the pace to match the likes of downing but he has been amazing

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 07 Jan 2007 16:03

Like Murty, I had a lot of worries about Ingimarsson, but no more. He gets better with every game.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 Jan 2007 16:06

The Doyler and Nicky Shorey.

Just before the start of the season, some US friends who have a fair knowledge of the English scene, were desperate to fill out their fantasy teams with a cheap forward. I recommended The Doyler more in hope than as a result of any formed opinion. He has proved to be a wonderful leader of the line and maybe a dark horse for the PFA and Writers' Young Player of the Year.

Nicky Shorey just seems to be getting better and better. Defensively sound, great distribution, but I think his strength is getting forward and deadly from set pieces. If there is a better left back in the game at the moment, I have yet to see him. Definitely worth a shout for an England call up.

bassavage

by bassavage » 07 Jan 2007 16:37

Doyle, Murty and players that were just back-up last year who I thought may have struggled this year like Hunt and Brynjar they have done well when they have come in.

I though Harps might also have had a tough time against Prem centre midfielders but he has done brilliant too.

rfc_prem2006

by rfc_prem2006 » 07 Jan 2007 16:47

Seol started off ok, but he has been surprisingly shocking in recent months, since he has been dropped from the starting 11 we as a team seem to have much more of an urgency about us, this was evident in the Chelsea, Man Utd and West Ham games, when he came on at West Ham he didnt look interested either.

Slate me if you wish!

I honestly think Sonko has surprised me this season, i know he was awesome last season but it took him a while to get used to the championship level so i thought it would take him a little while again but he has been class this year.

Harper is my other surprise, his energy, enthusiasm, and passing ability is class and lets hope he is here for years to come!!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jan 2007 17:39

Following last seasons bountiful excesses, I am just glad that Sir Steve has given each and every one of them the chance to shine.

So far, nobody has been a failure.......and whilst we may need to build....we do not need to replace.

Glen Little stands out for me, and the way that he crucifies big £name defences.

BUT Coppell gets my ultimate vote (bet he could cope in this division if he found his boots again)

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 07 Jan 2007 18:57

Arch Like Murty, I had a lot of worries about Ingimarsson, but no more. He gets better with every game.

The same two for me. Murty, too old with not enough pace. Ingarmarsson, a great Championship player, but simply not cut out for the Premiership.

God, I love being proved wrong like that!

doylefan

by doylefan » 07 Jan 2007 20:04

rfc_prem2006 Seol started off ok, but he has been surprisingly shocking in recent months, since he has been dropped from the starting 11 we as a team seem to have much more of an urgency about us, this was evident in the Chelsea, Man Utd and West Ham games, when he came on at West Ham he didnt look interested either.

yea the team seems to play better without him and the same with the west ham match. he came on and didnt seem interested. not quite sure whats up but maybe we will be proven wrong in this half of the season

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 07 Jan 2007 20:35

It's between Harper and Doyle - Doyle's made the huge step up in standard with flying colours, and Harper's also done really well for us in midfield, with quite a few goals to his name as well.

International Royal

by International Royal » 08 Jan 2007 09:04

Obviously the whole team has done fantastic and that's without Kitson and Convey for the most part.

I agree with others about how well Murty has done and how he has made the step up. I just hope the Murty / Little 'thing' can continue as long as possible, a real joy watching them two. I am also surprised at Doyle and his goal tally so far. I would also pick out Sidwell, he is actually a good player and living up to the hype.

On the other side of the coin, I don't think that Seol is a Reading type player and doesn't fit into the team ethic. Some teams can carry 'luxury' players but the way that Reading play can't. I really thought (there's still time) he would have been better than he is. The team plays better when he's not starting.