Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 16 Jan 2007 15:48

Is he a left sided center back?

Could this mean Sodje's on his way out?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 Jan 2007 15:51

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Is he a left sided center back?

Could this mean Sodje's on his way out?

I doubt it, he hasn't been here long enough to prove himself.

Peadar

by Peadar » 16 Jan 2007 15:55

Typically, he plays on the right for us.
(Right side of centre-half)

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 16 Jan 2007 16:16

MartinRdg
Only one Trevor Morley Isnt anyone else excited about this?

its sounds like we are signing the centre half equivalent of Doyle!! Just because we're not spending loads of cash doesnt mean that the signing in question wont be any good!

It's like signing someone from the Conference. There is no way he will be able to make the step up to the Premiership.

I think it's time that folks take a reality pill regarding the supposed level of supremacy of skills that the EPL extolls. There are numerous factors involved with one's ability to perform and a small bit of it has to do with experience playing at various levels.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Jan 2007 16:29

Feel free to let rip on that one though, Martinrdg!

Tennents Super
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Kicking and a gouging in the mud, and the blood and the beer.

by Tennents Super » 16 Jan 2007 16:47

Along with Seinfeld, Friends and the American Office, yet more proof that Americans totally get irony.

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 16 Jan 2007 16:59

Tennents Super Along with Seinfeld, Friends and the American Office, yet more proof that Americans totally get irony.

The irony floats right along side the laughable and absurd on this board - I'm still trying to get my bearings. :P

FWIW, I like David over Michael and Gareth over Dwight. But no one outdoes Kramer!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 16 Jan 2007 17:02

PremAddict
FWIW, I like David over Michael and Gareth over Dwight. But no one outdoes Kramer!

:?

I prefer mine over easy.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 16 Jan 2007 17:22

PremAddict
MartinRdg
Only one Trevor Morley Isnt anyone else excited about this?

its sounds like we are signing the centre half equivalent of Doyle!! Just because we're not spending loads of cash doesnt mean that the signing in question wont be any good!

It's like signing someone from the Conference. There is no way he will be able to make the step up to the Premiership.

I think it's time that folks take a reality pill regarding the supposed level of supremacy of skills that the EPL extolls. There are numerous factors involved with one's ability to perform and a small bit of it has to do with experience playing at various levels.

WHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHHH

:D :D :D

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 17 Jan 2007 09:17

From a local paper in Cork this morning:

Richardson confirms Bennett interest

HAVING previously raided Turner’s Cross for Kevin Doyle and Shane Long, Reading manager Steve Coppell has now set his sights on Alan Bennett.

Cork City boss Damien Richardson has confirmed that the club has received an approach for the defender from the Premiership side but says he is reluctant to lose a key member of his title-winning team of 2006.

Says Richardson: “There has been an inquiry from Reading for Alan Bennett but that is as far as it has gone. Reading made an inquiry through the right channels and we responded.

‘‘We don’t want to lose Alan. He’s a very good player for us and I think he can improve – and I am hoping he improves with Cork City. But the League and the club has improved over the last number of years to the point where clubs in Britain are looking at our players and know they are good enough to compete.

“Ambitious clubs in England look at players now and see that they are good enough and can improve their sides. We have to decide what we do. We can fight it, cope with it or learn from it. But what we must make sure is that we get decent valuations for our players.â€

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 17 Jan 2007 10:43

Doesnt look good the likes of Aaron Brown,Peter Mate and Bikey......

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Jan 2007 11:16

Unfortunate for the likes of Mate and Brown who sustained serious injuries while Bikey still can have a future for us in midfield if we go down that route.

I'm excited by the potential transfer. It's another player who'll have come from a lower league with something to prove, and Doyle and Long have shown there is good talent out in Ireland.

SC has always felt we're vunerable to injuries, especially in defence and for the fee it would seem he's a good addition.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Jan 2007 11:33

The interest in Bennett has also been confirmed by RFC, so this thread should be moving to a new home shortly..........

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Jan 2007 11:36

Wycombe Royal The interest in Bennett has also been confirmed by RFC, so this thread should be moving to a new home shortly..........

You're right: http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 84,00.html

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 17 Jan 2007 11:39

Lets hope he is another good find and not another Aaron Brown. Unless he is decent, people will seriously question why the club had to put the season ticket prices up so much with so little investment in the team.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jan 2007 11:44

Big Ern Lets hope he is another good find and not another Aaron Brown. Unless he is decent, people will seriously question why the club had to put the season ticket prices up so much with so little investment in the team.

FFS, the first year the money needs to go in the bank.

We are playing catch up with the other teams in the league and are expanding the ground etc...

Once a good cushion is reached, only then expect more players.

Also who do you want? A fading has been (with that ever so great "Premiership experience at this level" really meaning Premiership attitude) or an exciting new talent bursting onto the scene?

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 17 Jan 2007 11:51

Big Ern Lets hope he is another good find and not another Aaron Brown. Unless he is decent, people will seriously question why the club had to put the season ticket prices up so much with so little investment in the team.

I doubt the increase in ticket prices covers the increase in players wages and bonuses.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 17 Jan 2007 11:56

Uke

We are playing catch up with the other teams in the league and are expanding the ground etc...

Also who do you want? A fading has been (with that ever so great "Premiership experience at this level" really meaning Premiership attitude) or an exciting new talent bursting onto the scene?

Look at Bradford City....Benito Carbone/David Hopkin. Now look at them.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 17 Jan 2007 12:04

Uke

Calm down, I was simply stating that this point will surely be raised , wrightly or wrongly, by many supporters. Please note I have not stated at any point I would agree with this sentiments.

personally, I see no need to spend for the sake of it just as long as the players can add value to the team, and the better the price, the greater benefit to the club

However, I see your point with regards to cash flow, but this certainly hasn't stopped Sheff Utd.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 17 Jan 2007 12:14

Big Ern Lets hope he is another good find and not another Aaron Brown.

By this I assume you mean that you hope he has unbreakable ankles or summat.

342 posts