NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Alan Bennett

342 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jan 2007 12:18

Big Ern
Uke
Big Ern Lets hope he is another good find and not another Aaron Brown. Unless he is decent, people will seriously question why the club had to put the season ticket prices up so much with so little investment in the team.

FFS, the first year the money needs to go in the bank.

We are playing catch up with the other teams in the league and are expanding the ground etc...

Once a good cushion is reached, only then expect more players.

Also who do you want? A fading has been (with that ever so great "Premiership experience at this level" really meaning Premiership attitude) or an exciting new talent bursting onto the scene?

Calm down, I was simply stating that this point will surely be raised , wrightly or wrongly, by many supporters. Please note I have not stated at any point I would agree with this sentiments.

personally, I see no need to spend for the sake of it just as long as the players can add value to the team, and the better the price, the greater benefit to the club

However, I see your point with regards to cash flow, but this certainly hasn't stopped Sheff Utd.

Calmed down ;)

But where will Sheffield be in two seasons?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jan 2007 12:22

This looks encouraging as Sodje is nowhere near good enough and it's a key area we need to strengthen. Agree with earlier posts saying we need a new keeper. We were also lucky that Cahill's rather tame shot wasn't followed up properly in the first half at Goodison.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 17 Jan 2007 12:23

Uke
Big Ern
Uke
Big Ern Lets hope he is another good find and not another Aaron Brown. Unless he is decent, people will seriously question why the club had to put the season ticket prices up so much with so little investment in the team.

FFS, the first year the money needs to go in the bank.

We are playing catch up with the other teams in the league and are expanding the ground etc...

Once a good cushion is reached, only then expect more players.

Also who do you want? A fading has been (with that ever so great "Premiership experience at this level" really meaning Premiership attitude) or an exciting new talent bursting onto the scene?

Calm down, I was simply stating that this point will surely be raised , wrightly or wrongly, by many supporters. Please note I have not stated at any point I would agree with this sentiments.

personally, I see no need to spend for the sake of it just as long as the players can add value to the team, and the better the price, the greater benefit to the club

However, I see your point with regards to cash flow, but this certainly hasn't stopped Sheff Utd.

Calmed down ;)

But where will Sheffield be in two seasons?

Still in Sheffield, at a guess.

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 17 Jan 2007 13:09

So what does this mean now the club have confirmed it?. Does it mean we are close to signing him?, as normally we keep our transfer targets behind closed doors, and keep our cards close to our chests.

Or is it because Cork have gone public?.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Jan 2007 13:11

urz_1871 Or is it because Cork have gone public?.

Most likely.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 17 Jan 2007 13:12

urz_1871 So what does this mean now the club have confirmed it?. Does it mean we are close to signing him?, as normally we keep our transfer targets behind closed doors, and keep our cards close to our chests.

Or is it because Cork have gone public?.

I precict that the deal will be announced shortly after the club starts advertising text alerts on the OS.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 17 Jan 2007 13:55

I don't want to sound down beat here but surely lightning can't strike twice here?

Doyle was only 21 when we signed him and he has steadily progressed and was the meaning of 'bargain'

However this lad is 25 only had 1 irish u21 cap? obviously i have full trust with Coppell and his signings but if this is the only centre back we sign i will be a bit pissed off, hes hardly going to have a positive impact straight away.

Hope i'm wrong mind you :lol:

G'La

by G'La » 17 Jan 2007 14:02

From the EP (Hammond also mentions Halford and Coppells admiration for Zamora).

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/readi ... _come_true

Jaques Francais
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Jaques Francais » 17 Jan 2007 14:03

Coppell's Right Footed 11 However this lad is 25 only had 1 irish u21 cap? obviously i have full trust with Coppell and his signings but if this is the only centre back we sign i will be a bit pissed off, hes hardly going to have a positive impact straight away.

Caps aren't always reliable - they can let you down. I for one think this sounds like a typical Coppell signing - hungry, and with something to prove! Roll on Thursday at 2pm...

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 17 Jan 2007 14:07

Coppell's Right Footed 11 I don't want to sound down beat here but surely lightning can't strike twice here?

Doyle was only 21 when we signed him and he has steadily progressed and was the meaning of 'bargain'

However this lad is 25 only had 1 irish u21 cap? obviously i have full trust with Coppell and his signings but if this is the only centre back we sign i will be a bit pissed off, hes hardly going to have a positive impact straight away.

Now i dont follow Cork City but if i remember rightly haven't they been playing in the UEFA Cup for a few seasons.

So if im right it means the lad has been playing to quite a high standard of football.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Jan 2007 14:10

urz_1871
Coppell's Right Footed 11 I don't want to sound down beat here but surely lightning can't strike twice here?

Now i dont follow Cork City but if i remember rightly haven't they been playing in the UEFA Cup for a few seasons.

So if im right it means the lad has been playing to quite a high standard of football.

Erm, only a few games a season really.

xtreme rebel

by xtreme rebel » 17 Jan 2007 15:08

Alan Bennett in today's Evening Echo in Cork:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Jan 2007 15:19

xtreme rebel Alan Bennett in today's Evening Echo in Cork:

Just a case of agreeing a fee then.........

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 17 Jan 2007 15:31

One can never have enough Irish.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 17 Jan 2007 16:05

Lets hope if we do sign him he is as successful for us as Doyle

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Jan 2007 16:05

Fat Leather Jacket One can never have enough Irish coffee.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Jan 2007 16:10

xtreme rebel Alan Bennett in today's Evening Echo in Cork:

So what happens on Page 57?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 17 Jan 2007 17:20

urz_1871

So if im right it means the lad has been playing AGAINST high standard of football.

Just corrected this for you :wink:

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 17 Jan 2007 17:27

What si the chance we get a 4h decent irish player, 3 is rare enough, but 4 :shock: something has got to give, im prediciting mediocre things from this young man :wink:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Jan 2007 17:45

willz_royal What si the chance we get a 4h decent irish player, 3 is rare enough, but 4 :shock: something has got to give, im prediciting mediocre things from this young man :wink:

Look at it another way.......

What is the chances that we get a 4th Centre Back on the cheap that finally proves to be a revelation.

Sonko came first on the cheap and he has proven to be a star. Then came Brown and Sodje who are yet to prove their credentials.....

This is Coppell's 4th gamble on a cheap Centre Back. What are the chances that this time it comes good and we have a real star on our hands without spending any cash. I like the way Coppell gambles by playing the numbers game.

He brings players in.......... If they are no good, he moves them on!! If they are good, he keeps them. Thats how he builds a team on the cheap. Coppell hasn't got a problem moving players on if they are not good enough (Forster, Williams, Owusu, Morgan, Broooker, etc......)

But from time to time a star emerges (Doyle) and that player stays. By following this method Coppell is building a top side on the cheap. What a brilliant manager.

342 posts