Are you happy...

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
londinium
Hob Nob Regular

Are you happy...

by londinium » 24 Jan 2007 12:47

... with the press attention that we have had in 2007 that has taken away from our performances on the pitch.

So far, we beat West Ham 6-0 and the majority of the reports focused on how bad West Ham were and their own particular crisis.

Then we get a great point at Everton and a lot of the reports seemed to focus on the Rocky movie rather than the actual game. Which in my eyes, although not a classic, was a result that kept the momentum going on the back of the good displays versus Chelsea and Manure and the West Ham win.

Finally our third league game, and third great result of the year, rightly or wrongly gets little coverage due to the other events at the Mad Stad.

Are most of you lot happy that it is this way, that not much attention is being made to what a half decent little outfit we are, therefore other teams not giving us the respect we deserve. Or...
are you just a bit gutted that we do not get enough praise for how well we have done this year.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Jan 2007 12:56

The less praise the better. We know how good we are and that is all that matters.

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 24 Jan 2007 13:03

We have had some good press, then again some bad.

I'm not really that botherd if teams don't give us the respect we deserve or other fans for that matter. It suits us and most of all Steve Coppell if we are not in the spotlight.

So far we have suprised most people this season, and we are still not getting the recognition we deserve coz we are "little old Reading" and because we are not one of those so called "football traditional towns".

But hey ho we keep pluggin away quietly and thats the way the club like's it.

yappy

by yappy » 24 Jan 2007 13:03

couldn't care less about the press, were 8th in the Prem, thats all that matters :D

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 24 Jan 2007 13:06

We have got years of this, Bolton are STILL regarded as unfashionable (perhaps because of theri style of play), they have been in the Prem for a good few years now and they are much more of a traditional football club than we ever were in the eyes of the Media.

I would expect this to carry on for Reading for a long time.

I don't care though, people in the game respect us.
Not too bothered about the pundits and the hacks.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 24 Jan 2007 13:08

All the hype isn't all that bad. More people now know who reading Fc are than they did at the start of the season!

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Are you happy...

by brighton_royal » 24 Jan 2007 13:08

londinium ... with the press attention that we have had in 2007 that has taken away from our performances on the pitch.

So far, we beat West Ham 6-0 and the majority of the reports focused on how bad West Ham were and their own particular crisis.

Then we get a great point at Everton and a lot of the reports seemed to focus on the Rocky movie rather than the actual game. Which in my eyes, although not a classic, was a result that kept the momentum going on the back of the good displays versus Chelsea and Manure and the West Ham win.

Finally our third league game, and third great result of the year, rightly or wrongly gets little coverage due to the other events at the Mad Stad.

Are most of you lot happy that it is this way, that not much attention is being made to what a half decent little outfit we are, therefore other teams not giving us the respect we deserve. Or...
are you just a bit gutted that we do not get enough praise for how well we have done this year.

agree, rocky 1, 2 and 3 were much better

Cookie

Re: Are you happy...

by Cookie » 24 Jan 2007 13:09

londinium ... with the press attention that we have had in 2007 that has taken away from our performances on the pitch.

Ignore the Press (except The Evening Post and The Chronicle) and enjoy what you know is the best there's ever been at Reading.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 24 Jan 2007 13:11

i think the press to some extent have taken the pressure of the players, leaving them out of the lime light has worked wonders for us (bar Hunty and sonks for obvious reasons)

if the papers praised shoreys efforts throughout the season, i think there would have been some serious interest in him. in a way its a blessing that doyle picked up his injury when he did otherwise i think he would be in a similar boat to ashley young as one of the sort after players of the transfer market.

i say let the players play without the press pressure, without the hype, then see where we are at the end of the season! suprised no one has seemed to mention the prospects of inter toto cup- Pathway to Europe????

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Jan 2007 14:59

I'm happy on the whole.

when a team gets a drubbing the defence is always going to be what is concentrated on because its usually the case that the defence was so bad.

Yes we played well, and we got credit and continue to do so for our play. Watch any other review of a game where someone is slaughtered and they will concentrate on the defensive frailties.

I'm more pissed off with the persecution complex many of our fans seem to have.

Saying that there have been some particularly awful and unfair articles, but they are rare examples in all the good reports.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 24 Jan 2007 15:07

I think we've had largely great press. There's a constant supply of good-news articles about our club, our manager, our chairman, our achievements. Even in the Mirror article the other day taking a swipe at hunt (well several swipes, actually) made sure to say what a great club Reading is. I think we're actually the media darlings other fans make us out to be. I wish they'd shut up a bit, to be honest.

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 24 Jan 2007 16:07

One thing that angers me is the patronising comments about how little old Reading like to play good attacking football.

This crap is usually spouted by the ignorant cretins that were saying Reading would go down back in August.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 24 Jan 2007 16:11

I prefer it that way to be honest.
The media are building us up as gritty, attractive football playing, honest Reading.

It could be a lot worse.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 24 Jan 2007 16:16

alad One thing that angers me is the patronising comments about how little old Reading like to play good attacking football.

This crap is usually spouted by the ignorant cretins that were saying Reading would go down back in August.

Correct, in that 'how dare Reading try and play good football?' They should be kick and rush and there for everyone to beat.

However as others have pointed out re Bolton we'll have to get used to that for years.

I like all of us on here are massively biased and would want them to talk about Reading all the time which aint gonna happen but even to the neutral ours is an incredible story. Heard us compared as the new Wigan but they spent millions more than we did, Reading this season are showing what can be done with hard work, continueity (sp), team work, good management and a no fear approach. Belief.

Our squad was made on an absolute Premiership shoestring yet we are still regular beating our far wealthier peers on a regular basis. We currently occupy a place in the top 10 and the thought of European football is there, a feet that shouldn't even have been thought of at the start of the season. Even the likes of Watford and Sheffield Utd have spent far far more money than we have.

Just shows what a manager we have here really...

Fred Sharpe's Nose

ARE YOU HAPPY?

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 24 Jan 2007 16:23

YES.

I AM HAPPY.

Anyone who's not happy needs their head testing.

Media coverage is irrelevant (and anyway, it's pretty good).

HTKOH

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1