Team 'Strenghtening'...

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Feb 2007 15:48

KC Royal
Huntley & Palmer
readingbedding I said IF DLC is gone in 2009.

Anyway that is the reason why Golbourne is on loan, to get experience, to also grow up.

How do you know that he won't be ready with a good pre-season behind him to act as cover for the irreplacable Shorey next season?

I think the answer to that merges in with a thread started a while back about players we have sent out on loan. Has there been an occassion when we haven't then released said player at the end of the season?

I agree with you Huntley, the fact that he played against Burnley but was then sent back on loan for the rest of the season I found odd. I just don't get the impression Coppell rates him highly. If he did he'd still be at the club imo, as since Makin left we've had less cover at left-back than any other position.

Because
he
is

Shorey
is
immovable

golbourne
needs
1st
team
games

that's
why
he's
on
loan.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Feb 2007 15:53

readingbedding I said IF DLC is gone in 2009.

Anyway that is the reason why Golbourne is on loan, to get experience, to also grow up.

How do you know that he won't be ready with a good pre-season behind him to act as cover for the irreplacable Shorey next season?

I know you said IF, but I think he'll be gone this year as his one year contract will be up and he's done very little to earn a new one.

With Halford coming in it would suggest that there is no room in the squad for a past it right back who will reaslitically only be cover for the left back spot. It would make more sense to bring in a proper left back to compete for that spot.

Golbourne may well be ready after this loan spell and a good pre-season but I think it'll still be too early for him to make the step up. There is no need to rush him from League 1 to the Premiership if we can get a Premiership left back in on a one or two year contract. Coppell made a few comments after the Burnley game which suggested to me that he saw much the same as me in Golbourne, an inconsistant attacking full back that gave the ball away a little too often and looked a bit naive when defending.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 09 Feb 2007 15:54

Thats a valid point, but its a fact that most of our players who are on loan to other clubs move on eventually, Mullins, Castle, Rifat, Howell for example. Given that Osano went on loan very early in the season I wouldnt be surprised if he went either, especially as he went to a Conference club. Then there's Hamer who I forgot was still at the club, on loan for the season at Crawley. Look at Joseph-Dubois and Ujah they went to non-league clubs on loan at the start of the season, and they've both been released.

But the main point I was going to make was that there was a rumour about Golbourne causing disruption at the club at the start of the season. Its interesting that when he came back from Wycombe the club couldnt to shift him out on loan ,at a time when I thought he would be needed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Feb 2007 16:03

I think those that go on loan to non-league sides are probably on borrowed time.

If they are good enough to be making a league a career I think a league club would take them on loan and they wouldn't have to drop down to the Conference to get experience.

Thats just a rule of thumb though.

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 09 Feb 2007 16:20

Jagielka .. the only decent player Colin has

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 09 Feb 2007 16:27

The only current youngster that plays left back and has a left boot is Bale who is being touted for £10 million. You aren't going to find a young left back for the sort of money we are talking[/quote]

thats so short sighted! just because hes the only one that you have heard of! if u look around there are plenty of young left sided players.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Feb 2007 16:46

Name one that we should be looking at then that won't cost the Earth. I don't think an over-priced young English man at left back exists, such a rare commodity as it is.

fruits

by fruits » 09 Feb 2007 17:07

G'La Heskey, Konchesky and that chap from Newcastle Sibierski

None of them thanks even if they are free.

fruits

by fruits » 09 Feb 2007 17:08

Rhys The Royal We'll get Reo-Coker.

Please no, a less Reading type player would be hard to imagine, ideas of grandeur, not much of a player either.

fruits

by fruits » 09 Feb 2007 17:09

brendywendy
Huntley & Palmer You can't pick names. Position wise we need to strengthen in the following areas if the correct personnel is availble

Goalkeeper to challenge Marcus, ideally between the age of 25-28 and has been a 1st choice at his club

Left back, possibly in his late 20's to cover Shorey and give him some competition.

Central midfielder, probably the hardest to fill. Ideally one who is creative and links up the play between defence and attack.

Left or Right winger. Someone to give Seol a kick up the arse, and replace Little in the next few seasons. Preferably between 20-23 and has been seen as a good prospect/starter at his current club.

That would be my shopping list.

surely we need a young understudy for shorey, no-one will want to come in at the peak of their career and play second fiddle to our nicky

Is n´t thayt why we have Golbourne?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Feb 2007 17:13

i was just saying to H&P that getting a decent one in his late 20's would be the wrong move
if golbourne is considered good enough he will fill that covering spot next year if DLC moves on.

tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 09 Feb 2007 19:50

i would love to get carson i think he is the best english keeper. Heskey is a great player but every club he goes to seems to go down. Leighton Baines is quality but he will go to a club that will pay him more. i would want to get another centre midfielder perhaps reo-cocker maybee matt holland who is quality.

tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 09 Feb 2007 19:51

i just thought also poss danny murphy who i think is one of the best passers of the ball in the game and is underused at spurs

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 07 Mar 2007 09:29

Forbury Lion
Huntley & Palmer Central midfielder, probably the hardest to fill. Ideally one who is creative and links up the play between defence and attack.

I hear Steve Sidwell is available on a bosman in the summer, maybe we should try and sign him?

I've not seen the Sun's Bosman XI article posted on here before. What does everyone think about Jens Lehmann ;)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Mar 2007 09:40

readingbedding Alex Pearce has gone to the Cobblers on loan.

He can't have deteriorated that badly can he?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Mar 2007 09:59

Strengthening also depends on who leaves and I don't think Sidwell will be the only one. :shock:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Mar 2007 10:19

Gordons Cumming Strengthening also depends on who leaves and I don't think Sidwell will be the only one. :shock:

It doesn't take Einstein to work that one out. I'm sure a some of the academy and reserve players will be moving on like they do almost every summer.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Mar 2007 10:31

Wycombe Royal
Gordons Cumming Strengthening also depends on who leaves and I don't think Sidwell will be the only one. :shock:

It doesn't take Einstein to work that one out. I'm sure a some of the academy and reserve players will be moving on like they do almost every summer.

Thanks

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 07 Mar 2007 10:35

M4 Junction 11
Forbury Lion
Huntley & Palmer Central midfielder, probably the hardest to fill. Ideally one who is creative and links up the play between defence and attack.

I hear Steve Sidwell is available on a bosman in the summer, maybe we should try and sign him?

I've not seen the Sun's Bosman XI article posted on here before. What does everyone think about Jens Lehmann ;)

Zoltan Gera stands out on that list as both being a realistic and decent quality target.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 07 Mar 2007 10:41

brendywendy
Huntley & Palmer You can't pick names. Position wise we need to strengthen in the following areas if the correct personnel is availble

Goalkeeper to challenge Marcus, ideally between the age of 25-28 and has been a 1st choice at his club

Left back, possibly in his late 20's to cover Shorey and give him some competition.

Central midfielder, probably the hardest to fill. Ideally one who is creative and links up the play between defence and attack.

Left or Right winger. Someone to give Seol a kick up the arse, and replace Little in the next few seasons. Preferably between 20-23 and has been seen as a good prospect/starter at his current club.

That would be my shopping list.

surely we need a young understudy for shorey, no-one will want to come in at the peak of their career and play second fiddle to our nicky

Golbourne??