Back from the game

Doyler

by Doyler » 22 Apr 2007 09:46

Woodcote Royal We won 3-1 away from home against a top six side..............that s a good performance however it's achieved and always will be.

And, if we had performed at home like Bolton did yesterday the same fans would slagging us off for failing to convert our chances and losing to a classic smash and grab by the visitors.

LOL about the Gunnarsson comments.
I agree, don't see how anyone can complain about yesterday, I thought we would be lucky to get a point, so I was ecstatic with three. It just shows the character of this team, they keep plugging away till the end. Very proud, I reckon its the best result this season, especially when you think that Arsenal, one of the 'big four' continually struggle to win at Bolton. Great banter with Amir Khan at the end :lol: He took it well. European football is now well within our grasp. Come on URZ!

International Royal

by International Royal » 22 Apr 2007 09:49

Woodcote Royal We won 3-1 away from home against a top six side..............that s a good performance however it's achieved and always will be.

And, if we had performed at home like Bolton did yesterday the same fans would slagging us off for failing to convert our chances and losing to a classic smash and grab by the visitors.

LOL about the Gunnarsson comments.

Agreed - we have been down this path before. Again - there's no such thing as a bad away win in the Prem. It doesn't matter if we were shoite for 80 mins, also it's Marcus's job to keep us in with a sniff, their forwards should have taken their chances - they failed. Last 10 mins - who didn't fancy us to get something? We've done it so often that's it not down to luck. Great result!!

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 22 Apr 2007 10:11

Huntley & Palmer
Woodcote Royal
floyd__streete
Woodcote Royal Sadly, we've never been short of w@nkers and there were plenty complaining again today about how "lucky" we were :?

We were fortunate. Truth be told - we were appaling today for 80+ minutes. Duberry looked every inch a Championship centre-half, DLC was equally poor. But do you know what - we were robbed at Spurs with an iffy decision, didn't deserve to lose to Liverpool and dominated Charlton so I am not going to apologise for a somewhat streaky victory. Fair play to this Reading team - they never give up and never look likely to get absolutely buried.

When you're away to a top 6 side it's the result that counts and not the performance and, given that we won 3-1 and managed to score all 4 goals, means we weren't lucky regardless of how badly we played until the last 15 minutes.

Bolton got precisely what they deseved from a home performance in which they failed to convert 3 One on Ones with our keeper, who did a suberb job of keeping us in the game but will, no doubt, get nothing but stick because a few of his kicks went out of play :?

Had we put in the same level of performance and got a point it would have been a good day at the office but to win such a tough fixture was stunning and thoroughly deserved.

There are no bad away wins and to get 5 from our first season in the Prem is fantastic.

But, I wonder how many of those who predicted a season of struggle are now complaining because we don't always play like Brazil :?

Were you even at the game? Floyd has it spot on, we were dire today. No shape across the midfield, no drive going forwards and if it was not for Marcus today and the defence then we should have lost 2-0 or more. It was only when Gunnarsson was taken off (who proved today that he is no central midfielder) as well as Oster along with Kitson that we looked like doing anything. Seol was putting some excellent crosses in and we had players hitting the box, something that we didn't even manage in the first half.

I don't see anyone bemoaning the football we play in particular, the tactics just didn't work today. If it wasn't for a bit of luck then we would have got nothing out of this fixture, hence why no-one is talking about the game bar the last 15 minutes

I could be really cheeky and ask if you were even at the game? the players we took off were oster kits and DLC

gunnar moved to right back

but i do agree with your general sentiment, we were poor and nicked a win but it makes up for some of the away games where we played well and shouldn't have lost newcastle, villa

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 22 Apr 2007 10:18

Absolutely unbelievable.

Left with ten minutes to go as we really did not look like scoring. Just walking up towards the Tesco next to the ground and we hear a cheer so a couple of us sprinted back in to see the rest of the game and I'm so glad I did.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 22 Apr 2007 10:24

earley_royals Absolutely unbelievable.

Left with ten minutes to go as we really did not look like scoring. Just walking up towards the Tesco next to the ground and we hear a cheer so a couple of us sprinted back in to see the rest of the game and I'm so glad I did.

School boy error!!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 22 Apr 2007 10:46

higher Some idiots near me left(ha bloody ha and chortle).I have to admit to thinking I can see us being hit again before the 90 is up however.

so Earley Royal was one of those idiots?

can't believe that.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 22 Apr 2007 12:03

I used to go and see the odd game at Burnden Park and Bolton always struck me as th epitome of an 'old school' club. Great history, knowledgeable fans and a club who had roots.

They haven't half changed !

Anyone who complains about us and 'plasticity' needs to get up to the Reebok.

As for the game, a shambles of a refereeing performance, a bit of sharp practice by the Bolton . a somewhat confused game plan by us but a wonderful set of substitutions to spark a memorable climax to the game.

We're in danger of having to dig out our passports !

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Apr 2007 12:35

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton Neither side deserved to win on merit, but the difference between the comparative responses by the 2 teams to conceding a goal was marked.

I agree, at least till they scored. It was a dire physical game with few chances until then. When they scored, with half an hour to go, they all set into "extreme timewasting mode". The addition of Long, Seol and Harper added a fresh impetus and we really had a go. When we scored, they were still timewasting, so I guess they'd settled for the draw. You could see the belief that we could win it because they sat back. So a huge LOL at Jasskelinen and the poncey flag wavers.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 22 Apr 2007 15:54

When has anything SO BAD have been SO GOOD? Answer=Yesterday!

I feel good......................

Bob the Builder

by Bob the Builder » 22 Apr 2007 16:15

kitsons_hair Just got in. Fantastic day!! Still 'buzzing'!

Like to thank SKB, Tart-Man, Bob the Builder etc for entertainment on way back! and Extra thanks to SKB for the JD and Coke :D

John Salako Johnnie John Salako...

You're welcome although I'm paying the price today for drinking that bottle of vodka on the train home.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Apr 2007 16:23

Got in last night just in time to see the massive coverage on Match of the Day (3 minutes?)-at least Shearer and Dixon praised us again and acknowledged our achievements this season.
As for the game-a terrible first 80 minutes during which Duberry and Ivar did a great job in reducing their chances to very few.
The daft thing is that when Bolton choose to play a passing game they are actually very good at it ,witness their goal and the other chance soon after.

When the subs were made we had a better shape (again Oster didn't grab his chance to impress ) and although I disagree with those that felt Long made the impact I think that we finally started to run at them and in particular Seol,Shorey and Doyle and created the opportunities.
What is it about Hunt?
He had a dreadful game but still managed to make a contribution right at the death which sums up our "never-say-die" attitude.

As the car park was slow to empty my brother and I did what we haven't done since we were kids and waited to see the players on to the coach.
They patiently signed autographs and had photos taken with the fans from both teams.
They do look so young (the players not the fans) and skinny-even Bikey is well muscled but not really very big.
A great result-probably the best result of the season and even better when Doyle scored the penalty (Archie you can now rest in peace ).
1-0 and you f***** it up made up for their fans with long memories of 2-0 and you f***** it up.
It really does look as though the players want Europe even if their employers don't!!

kitsons_hair

by kitsons_hair » 22 Apr 2007 16:47

Bob the Builder
kitsons_hair Just got in. Fantastic day!! Still 'buzzing'!

Like to thank SKB, Tart-Man, Bob the Builder etc for entertainment on way back! and Extra thanks to SKB for the JD and Coke :D

John Salako Johnnie John Salako...

You're welcome although I'm paying the price today for drinking that bottle of vodka on the train home.

Hope your nose is alright now too!

Oh and if Tart Man still wants to give me that £20....I'll take it!

Still can't get over Yesterdays game.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Apr 2007 17:03

A good result? Sure. Good performance? Nah.

kitsons_hair

by kitsons_hair » 22 Apr 2007 17:36

Victor Meldrew
As the car park was slow to empty my brother and I did what we haven't done since we were kids and waited to see the players on to the coach.
They patiently signed autographs and had photos taken with the fans from both teams.
They do look so young (the players not the fans) and skinny-even Bikey is well muscled but not really very big.

I stayed behind too and had pictures with the players and I know what you mean about how they look skinny....especially Gunnarrson.
Long didnt believe that he changed the game when he came on..

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 22 Apr 2007 17:45

Victor Meldrew A great result-probably the best result of the season

I'd say that isn't in the top 5 of best results for us this season !!

1. 6-0 West Ham
2. draw at OT
3. draw at Stamford Bridge
4. win against Spurs
5. win against Boro

actually on reflection it is contesting 4th spot with Spurs and Boro I reckon

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 22 Apr 2007 17:57

Behindu

1. 6-0 West Ham
2. draw at OT
4. win against Spurs
5. win against Boro

In my top 5 worst displays;

Portmouth Away
Portsmouth Home
Watford Away
Bolton Away
Everton Home

but it's been a great season nevertheless.

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 22 Apr 2007 18:05

biscuitsrus In my top 5 worst displays;

Portmouth Away
Portsmouth Home
Watford Away
Bolton Away
Everton Home

Blackburn at home? Worst 45 minutes of football RFC have played in last two years.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Apr 2007 18:09

Ginger Ninjas
biscuitsrus In my top 5 worst displays;

Portmouth Away
Portsmouth Home
Watford Away
Bolton Away
Everton Home

Blackburn at home? Worst 45 minutes of football RFC have played in last two years.
agreed

1-0 up at HT

2-1 down at FT

but it was the way we relinquished it

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 22 Apr 2007 18:12

Well I hope you lot who went and the team are ashamed of yourselves. Your behaviour towards that paragon of virtue Diouf was disgraceful. The physical approach that Reading adopted to the graceful, one touch passing, football team that is Bolton was appalling. The tender souls of Bolton are not happy with you lot. Me? Never been so proud to be a Royal!

From the Boltonbanter site

Just got back from the game. Absolutely fuming with quite a few things:

1) I can accept being beaten by a better team (ie Man Utd took us apart) but Reading were plainly and simply AWFUL. Certainly worse than Watfords display at the Reebok to put it in perspective and for the vast majority of the game they were simply trying to contain our attacks and hope for a draw.

2) The referee (Howard Webb) and linesmen. - Awful performance throughout and particularly bad in the first half. Missed foul after foul on our players (esp Davies) and gifted Reading with free kicks that were nothing. The worst decisions however

- Nolan was poleaxed just before the half time break with an absolutely ATROCIOUS challenge (in many people's books a straight red but certainly a yellow). What did he do? He blew for half time and led the players off the pitch with hardly a backward glance at Nolan who still needed urgent medical attention and had to be helped off the pitch!

- 2nd Goal - Clearly (and I do mean CLEARLY, no debate about it, you could have seen it from one of Pluto's moons clearly) OFFSIDE.

- The first Reading goal. A penalty - I'm unsure at this stage but it looked dubious.

3) Reading's approach - Can't contain them so foul them off the park. 3 injuries in the first half - 3 substitutions. The team that started (Diouf really though) would have helped convert our many chances. The Diouf injury may not have been intended at first glance but on slow motion replays the player flicks his studs up back into the chasing Diouf.

4) Readings FANS: Disgraceful and disgusting. In the same league as the BWFC fans who sing about the Munich disaster. Now Diouf isn't anyone's favourite player and I was the first person to criticise his spitting and cheating BUT he clearly isn't playacting when he required a stretcher to take him off the pitch. The Reading fans who abused him goaded him as he was taken off - shame on you. Where is your basic sense of humanity?

They say what goes around, comes around. Lets hope it does with Reading because you should be embarrassed with the conduct of your fans, your team and finally with the fact that you even got ONE point out of that game!

And

Having been to the game, I can agree 100% with your comments.

For all their plaudits this season, I thought that certain Reading players and the majority of their supporters came across today as nasty and bitter.

The more that I see of Stephen Hunt, the more i'm inclined to believe that he intentionally left his knee in when challenging Petr Cech on the opening day. Firstly, he needlessly shoulder charged Nicky Hunt off the pitch when the ball had already gone out for a throw. Then he had a go at Dioufy, in the hope of getting a reaction. When Michalik came onto the pitch, he tried the same thing again. He kept tugging at Lubo's shirt whilst waiting for a free kick to be taken. Lubo merely swatted him away, like a fly. Then he ran straight into Jussi and finally earned himself a booking.

As for their supporters????? Well imho to barrack someone as they are being stretchered off is bang out of order. Dioufy may not be everyone's favourite player, but to stand up and yell abuse as he is being carried off is an absolute disgrace.

And more

Why are we surprised at Reading's style? They knew every trick in the book. Every touch they went down and the ref obliged. It seems to me that refs are coming in with an agenda to cut out Bolton's "physical approach" - but not the opposition's. They’re style was identical to Crystal Palace when Coppell was in charge. The media don't criticise him because he is intelligent and soft spoken.

Link
[/url]http://www.boltonbanter.com/forum/view_topic.php?id=9891&forum_id=2&page=1[url]

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Apr 2007 18:29

Behindu

1. 6-0 West Ham
2. draw at OT
4. win against Spurs
5. win against Boro

ill take more satisfaction for a flukey 1-3 away win at bolton than for any win at a big 4 club, anyday