Greg Halford...

Cookie

by Cookie » 05 May 2007 20:49

Halford was good today and he'll get better. :)

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 05 May 2007 21:07

From Despair To Where? Lita's first touch was poor today. Definitely suffered for having 2 weeks off. Fair enough, Shittu was tugging him all over the place but he never seemed to get the ball properly under control from the long throw. You did realise I was talking about Lita and not Halford, didn't you?

Why did he even start the match? Fair enough to sub him on after 60 mins, but did he deserve to replace Doyle of all people?

Strange decision from SSC, not in his usual style - but who am I to question him?

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 05 May 2007 21:13

thought that Greg put in a good performance today, looks good at set pieces but let smith get away from him for a cross which resulted in the second goal. But overall fair play to the lad. don't understand why de la wasn't in the side though after his recent displays have been excellent.

Reading_Royal
Location: 25Mar2006 History in the making - RFC in the promised land!

by Reading_Royal » 05 May 2007 21:54

Greg Halford, 2 games - 2 losses in a Reading shirt

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 05 May 2007 22:12

Reading_Royal Greg Halford, 2 games - 2 losses in a Reading shirt

HALFORD OUT

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 May 2007 22:38

Royalee I also thought Halford looked quality today - he used the ball well and looked strong in the tackle and generally class. He didn't really get much wrong at Spurs either to be fair, it's just a shame that he was given absolutely no defensive support by the ever-lazy Seol.
Lita kept popping up on the right wing as well when Seol wasn't there.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 05 May 2007 22:44

He was marginally at fault for the second goal, as he came very narrow, when it was obvious that Smith would get the ball back. But that is being very harsh.

Overall, a bit rough, but definitely has the talent to go on and be good enough for this team. We just need to bear with him as we did with Sidwell, Sonko, Kitson etc

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 May 2007 22:57

Royal Fleet We just need to bear with him as we did with Sidwell, Sonko, Kitson etc
Agree, just hope he gets more time than some have recieved (Keith Jones to name but one)

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 05 May 2007 23:10

Halford OK today until 2nd goal, which was unbelievably bad defending by him. Smith was there to be markedbut Halford retreated to the penalty area instead of marking him - shocking defending.

Doesn't overlap either, limiting options for our wingers.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 06 May 2007 00:45

The Goat was fed Doesn't overlap either, limiting options for our wingers.

That's the area where he needs to improve most in my eyes. Look forward to seeing him next season when he should have a complete understanding of the way we play, back line, etc.

MadMac

by MadMac » 06 May 2007 01:19

His Throws his free Kicks were both top form today...

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 06 May 2007 01:28

rg6royal but let smith get away from him for a cross which resulted in the second goal.

Wrong. He was nowhere near Smith as he expected Seol to track back. Greggy was not at fault for their second goal.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 06 May 2007 01:32

Slag me off but our first touch has been a bit poor the last couple of games. Against Newcastle we kept losing the ball in midfield. It was only because they were so atrocious that we got away with it.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 06 May 2007 02:44

Royal Rother
From Despair To Where? Lita's first touch was poor today.

His first touch has been atrocious all season long.

Agreed.

And his running with the ball was embarrassing today. Sorry, you can't call it running with the ball, what he does is kick the ball a long way ahead of him and run after it. That said, he had an ok game

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 06 May 2007 02:46

Royalee I also thought Halford looked quality today - he used the ball well and looked strong in the tackle and generally class. He didn't really get much wrong at Spurs either to be fair, it's just a shame that he was given absolutely no defensive support by the ever-lazy Seol.

And conversely I was moaning to my mate that Halford was giving Seol absolutely no support going forward!!

Little got amazing support from Murty earlier in the season. Making himself available for lay-offs and making runs to drag defenders away. Seol was on his tod against two players most of the match as no-one made themselves available or dragged the defenders away

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 May 2007 03:21

Halford looks an excellent prospect but I still can't see him ending up at right back.

Once again it was in defence where his shortcomings were exposed whereas he showed some real class going forward.

On that performance, he remains our 4th choice right back and will be anonymous next season if Murty returns to anything like the form he's shown in this campaign.......................we still miss our captain.

On the other hand, I think he has every chance of pushing Little and Seol for a place on the right.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 06 May 2007 03:44

With his hight I would like to see him in the box going for headers not taking the free kicks. Terrific run in the first half that nearly set up Lita not shown on MOTD.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 06 May 2007 06:45

Woodcote Royal On the other hand, I think he has every chance of pushing Little and Seol for a place on the right.

Hope not, he's done nothing to suggest he is a winger !

I like a winger who can dribble with the ball and beat players, and Halford hasn;t done that at all.

If he plays wide right it will mean we have abandoned the formation that has served us so well and adopted a conservative 4 man midfield (4-4-2) rather than the attacking 2 winger style (4-2-4)

I'm not sure where Halford fits and to be honest am reserving judgement on him (without in any way writing him off !)

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 06 May 2007 09:38

Thought the right side were predominantly poor if I'm honest. I saw some glimpses of Halford looking alright, but for me he didn't make enough overlapping runs like you see from Murty or DLC.

Also, for their second goal the ball came far too easily down our right and side.

International Royal

by International Royal » 06 May 2007 09:49

The RH side has been week for some time. Obviously it works best when the main men are there and injury free - the Murts / Little thing. If one of them is there then it's not so bad but when both are missing............

The replacements are solid enough but if the team becomes packed with too many solid type players we will struggle in the longer term as we won't win enough games.

Halford I think will get better but is not a right winger and needs work on his fitness.

As for Seol I would settle for two thirds of the transfer paid back and move him on. He is just not a Reading player.