Your best and worst years?

fallen angel

by fallen angel » 19 May 2007 14:09

Worst 69/70 when were relegated to the old fourth division,getting beat 5-1 home and away in the process.Best,the year we were promoted to the old second division in the eighties ,about 86 I think :?:

fallen angel

by fallen angel » 19 May 2007 14:10

fallen angel Worst 69/70 when were relegated to the old fourth division,getting beat 5-1 home and away in the process.Best,the year we were promoted to the old second division in the eighties ,about 86 I think :?:

By Bury by the way

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 19 May 2007 17:59

I'm hopeless with dates but I would say best for me were the years when McGhee got us started playing football with the likes of Osborne, Gooding (perhaps the most undermentioned player on the team forum?) et al. As a means of explanation I have been watching Reading since about 1975 and, god we were so bad sometimes it was shocking. For the first time we were running rings around other teams because we were so damn good. That is simply for nostalgic reasons. Obviously last season winning the championship was, literally speaking the best.

Worst, yep, the Burns years. Caskey's 20 goals saved Reading FC that season and erratic and underperformer that he was for that reason alone I honestly believe he was one of the most important players in our recent history.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 19 May 2007 18:20

You can't remember dates and you can't spell a player's name. I'd say you're about as much use as a fish out of water, CC.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 19 May 2007 18:24

SpaceCruiser You can't remember dates and you can't spell a player's name. I'd say you're about as much use as a fish out of water, CC.

How would you 'use' a fish in water?

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 19 May 2007 21:47

Best season was last year and winning the Championship. The memories of that day in Leicester will live with me forever. Until we win the Premiership (or possibly the FA Cup or a decent European trophy it will not be surpassed).

Worst, who cares. Probably some relegation year back in the seventies or eighties but as we have not had a bad season for the best part of ten years why should we be bothered. When was the last time you had to read the league table from the bottom up rather than the top down?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 May 2007 22:20

SpaceCruiser You can't remember dates and you can't spell a player's name. I'd say you're about as much use as a fish out of water, CC.

Tell that to Rick Stein's bank manager

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 19 May 2007 23:35

No idea why.... but 2000/2001 for the playoff semi against Wigan, and the batterings of Rotherham home and away were fantastic. We were awesome that season despite the playoff defeat. We were also the club that no-one liked due to our size and potential.... at League One level something that Nottingham Forest are feeling now.

2001/02 - the absolute hammerings of most clubs, and yet we just scraped through in the last 13 minutes against a Coppell/Downes/Sidwell/Ingemarsson led Brentford, who to be fair looked a superb outfit that season, and far better than Brighton, who were hand-held by Zamora start-to-finish.

2002/03 - so we lost to Wolves, hey ho.... We absolutely battered that league, that season. Think the 3-1 win away to Sheff Utd while they were storming the league! We kicked some serious ar(se as an unknown that were favourites to go down. How we showed the world that season... if not for a Forster injury in the first leg at Molineux, we would have slaughtered Sheff Utd in that final...

And so... the obvious 2005/06 - which is discussed in this thread and yes is by far the most successful... and this unbelievable season 2006/07 - which is the most enjoyable... To be fair I have no idea... but I'd at least like the above three to be considered in the same vein as these two that are being talked about so frequently in this topic....

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 19 May 2007 23:35

From 1993 onwards, I would say 1998/99 was the least memorable, just didn't go to many games in that tedious season.

For the best you have to look at our first Premiership year, 1993/94/95, and our first year back in Division 1 in 2002/03. The promotion season the year was tortouous torwards the end so that counts that out for me. Overall though, the Championship winning-season wins hands down, for all the records set the most remarkable to me is only losing 2 games- to put it in perspective Birmingham and Sunderland have lost 12 each this year!

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 20 May 2007 07:09

fallen angel Worst 69/70 when were relegated to the old fourth division,getting beat 5-1 home and away in the process.Best,the year we were promoted to the old second division in the eighties ,about 86 I think :?:

Sorry to be pedantic, we were relegated the following season in our Centenary year.

by 1960 » 20 May 2007 13:49

Yes, the 70-71 relegation has to be the worst. Founder members of Division Three (South) in 1920, we had never slipped below it. 50 years punctuated with 5 years in the second. Reading would never ever go down. We were always in the top half of 3 (South) and 3 proper and would never join the likes of Aldershot in the fourth. And then we did. I couldn't believe it.

Those of you moaning about the 98-99 seasons etc are obviously youngsters used to a modicum of success. But for sheer desperation try a spell in the fourth division!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 May 2007 18:38

a spell? We were there for all the 70's except two seasons. Bit in the 80's too, I think.

BLUES & ROYAL

by BLUES & ROYAL » 20 May 2007 19:46

I remember us playing teams week in week out like Barrow, Workington, Halifax and Aldershot.

We were truly rubbish in those days until we got out of the basement.
But winning promotion at Vale park was a fantastic memory. (In the snow, hail and shower of bricks) :shock:

I was also at an all time low when Oxford where in the top flight. I lived and work in the shite hole at the time and had to keep the blue flag flying round a certain amount of pisstaking.

The high for me is still the Simod Cup final at Wembley.

For us, a small team at the time, I was very proud to see us win convincingly in front of a very large contingent from the Royal County.

I am obviously elated about recent successes, but its still not the same for me

Whistle

by Whistle » 20 May 2007 20:01

1960 Yes, the 70-71 relegation has to be the worst. Founder members of Division Three (South) in 1920, we had never slipped below it. 50 years punctuated with 5 years in the second. Reading would never ever go down. We were always in the top half of 3 (South) and 3 proper and would never join the likes of Aldershot in the fourth. And then we did. I couldn't believe it.

Those of you moaning about the 98-99 seasons etc are obviously youngsters used to a modicum of success. But for sheer desperation try a spell in the fourth division!

No - a mix of shock and despair at the end of that season admittedly but a few decent games too - Fulham, Villa, Shrewsury in the Cup, Preston, Man United and we were 8th in March. Late 80s and late 90s were worse - nothing happening.

newbiscuit

by newbiscuit » 20 May 2007 22:08

This season has been great. The but worst game was Newport away in 1985 season. Royals broke the record but i spent all afternoon in the black mariah!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 21 May 2007 01:13

bobby m's syrup

Sorry to be pedantic, we were relegated the following season in our Centenary year.

Agreed. Bury beat us 5-1 home and away in 70/71. Bury CF George Jones scored four at Elm Park and two at Gigg Lane. Bury really were our bogey team.