Pin this on the dressing room wall

151 posts
Glen Little's Nose
Location: Watching Adam Miller dive nose first into the West Stand!

Pin this on the dressing room wall

by Glen Little's Nose » 17 May 2007 09:09

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 17 May 2007 09:12

Just shows how ignorant he is. Get Murts to 'have a quiet word' next Scotland training camp.

Sorry, what was his name again?

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 17 May 2007 09:20

If you were to remove you RTG's you may see that he has a point. Look at Wigan and West Ham this year. Look at Ipswich in the past. The difficult second season will be with us, and we may well end up in a relegation dogfight.

I'd probably rather take the Champions League football option. Although as you say, would be great for the dressing room wall.

Doyler

by Doyler » 17 May 2007 09:21

He says that but Celtic only qualify for the Champions League because they are in a tin pot league where the rest of the teams are vastly inferior to themselves and Rangers. I think both Celtic and Rangers would be pummelled in the Premiership and we have flourished. Let's be honest, who takes notice of the SPL apart from Scottish fans?

Glen Little's Nose
Location: Watching Adam Miller dive nose first into the West Stand!

by Glen Little's Nose » 17 May 2007 09:25

Yorkshire Royal If you were to remove you RTG's you may see that he has a point. Look at Wigan and West Ham this year. Look at Ipswich in the past. The difficult second season will be with us, and we may well end up in a relegation dogfight.

I'd probably rather take the Champions League football option. Although as you say, would be great for the dressing room wall.

But we are not Wigan or West Ham because we have a different team mentality. Both those teams were good enough to finish mid table but didn't because of their individual arrogance. If Brown can't see that then he has a problem.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 17 May 2007 09:25

Err... I would suggest that both Celtic and Rangers would beat this Reading team. (Fair point about the rest).

He can play in front of bigger, more passionate crowds. Get paid more. Earn more bonuses. And play against the best team in Europe... Not really a hard decision is it?

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 17 May 2007 09:26

RTG aside, SSC has made such a point about the 'second season syndrome' that I have faith that we willprepared for the challenge of next season.

I dont believe we will succumb to the complacency that some of the other clubs have done, and I also look at the likes of Fulham, Middlesbrough, Wigan etc who for whatever reasons do not appear to be moving foward at the moment. At this point I believe that we are better than at least 3 other teams in the Premiership, and do not believe that we will end up being drawn into a relegation batlle.

Please store this and feel free to throw it in my face this time next year when we are facing Championship football.

That said we wont be playing CL Football either......... :D

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 17 May 2007 09:28

pre-season friendly against Celtic anyone?

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 17 May 2007 09:28

Yorkshire Royal Err... I would suggest that both Celtic and Rangers would beat this Reading team. (Fair point about the rest).

Err....I would suggest it may be a closer battle than you might think, have you watched either play recently?

My money would go on us....and I don't part with cash easy (I'm not scottish though;))

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 17 May 2007 09:44

Yorkshire Royal Err... I would suggest that both Celtic and Rangers would beat this Reading team. (Fair point about the rest).

He can play in front of bigger, more passionate crowds. Get paid more. Earn more bonuses. And play against the best team in Europe... Not really a hard decision is it?

Why do you suggest that? Neither - at the moment - would break into the top 4 of the English Premiership if they joined next season. Indeed, Rangers I would suggest would struggle to stay up.

As for Scott Brown himself. The lure of CL football and 60K crowds is one thing. But he would do well to learn a little respect about a club and a team I suspect he knows little or nothing about.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 17 May 2007 09:44

Not difficult to understand the guy's view, although I think he's wrong !

The myth of the difficult second season should be something professionals don't get fooled by and there is no reason to expect us to struggle next year - most clubs that get through 'difficult year 1' cope with 'less difficult year 2'.

But he plays in Scotland, a move to teams who undoubtably have a bit higher profile than us (!) and probably pay more is the obvious one and there would have to be something extra on offer to convince him to move south.

I don;t know anything about him as a player so have no idea if he is a loss to us, but the fact that he didn;t want to join means he wasn;t the right player anyway !

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 17 May 2007 09:48

If you stepped back and tried to view this as a non Reading fan, you might be able to see it more objectively.

We finished 8th this year. Fantastic achievement, but you can hardly call us an established top flight team...

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 17 May 2007 09:50

Scotsman in wanting-to-play-for-Celtic-or-Rangers shocker. It's what Jocks grow up wanting to do isn't it, so no surprise that this no-mark shows the traditional lack of ambition.

Only a Scotsman would consider that playing for either of those teams is anywhere near as testing or rewarding as playing in the Premier League.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 May 2007 09:52

Perhaps a slightly harsh assessment of our chances in the forthcoming season but I don't know a Scotsman around that wouldn't jump at the chance of playing for Celtic or Rangers with an almost cast iron guarantee of Champions League football every season. Whilst the standard of the SPL can be called into question, he is very much correct in his view about what happens to him should we be relegated.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 May 2007 09:54

If its a choice between selecting Reading or Celtic, there is only going to be one winner; even the most blinkered Reading fan can see that a player would choose Celtic every time!

However, surely we should be celebrating the fact that we are being compared to Celtic; that we are in for the same quality of player as Celtic.

And who knows, in a couple of seasons maybe the choice won't be quite so clear cut.

Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 17 May 2007 09:59

Mr Angry If its a choice between selecting Reading or Celtic, there is only going to be one winner; even the most blinkered Reading fan can see that a player would choose Celtic every time!

However, surely we should be celebrating the fact that we are being compared to Celtic; that we are in for the same quality of player as Celtic.

And who knows, in a couple of seasons maybe the choice won't be quite so clear cut.

Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

What he said.. superb...!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 May 2007 09:59

Saw an interview on SSN with Mr Brown the other day. It's fair to say even amongst his profession, he's not exactly the brightest.

Could work both ways for him. He could end up like Stephen Pearson, highly rated , moved to Celtic and within a couple of years is playing English Championship football anyway.

Who's Stephen Pearson? Exactly :wink:

I'd generally agree though,if you're Scottish and either of the Old Firm come calling it would take a club with a higher profile than ours to persuade you otherwise.....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 May 2007 10:09

looks like a roit wrongun

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 17 May 2007 10:10

Vision Saw an interview on SSN with Mr Brown the other day. It's fair to say even amongst his profession, he's not exactly the brightest.

Could work both ways for him. He could end up like Stephen Pearson, highly rated , moved to Celtic and within a couple of years is playing English Championship football anyway.

Who's Stephen Pearson? Exactly :wink:

I'd generally agree though,if you're Scottish and either of the Old Firm come calling it would take a club with a higher profile than ours to persuade you otherwise.....

Slightly different situation, Liam Miller. But he is shite anyway. Barry Ferguson also could not cut it in the Prem, but was very unlucky with injuries.

I'm just glad that we are active and looking for a replacement for Sidwell. Who gives a flying one what he said?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 May 2007 10:19

Glen Little's Nose
Yorkshire Royal If you were to remove you RTG's you may see that he has a point. Look at Wigan and West Ham this year. Look at Ipswich in the past. The difficult second season will be with us, and we may well end up in a relegation dogfight.

But we are not Wigan or West Ham because we have a different team mentality. Both those teams were good enough to finish mid table but didn't because of their individual arrogance. If Brown can't see that then he has a problem.

I wquldn't have said that Wigan's problem this year was their 'individual arrogance'? Maybe you've got too much individual arrogance to use that one good season does not an established Premiership club make.

151 posts