Reading V River plate...Match thread

218 posts
papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Jul 2007 14:24

Niko
higher Ref blows up!

good, deserves it for that bizarre booking of oster...

If its explicitly against the rules of the competition, which it appeared to be, then its fault of no-one but Oster.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 13 Jul 2007 14:29

Alan Partridge in that sort of heat, against that sort of oppo you can't afford to give the ball away as easy as Reading did, that's the main lesson. Still it's far more valuable than beating the cast of Abba in Sweden as we have for the last 2 years.

Agree with that but I think we'd have been better off playing River after a couple of games against Abba .... to get the fitness up.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 13 Jul 2007 14:31

Royalwaster
Alan Partridge in that sort of heat, against that sort of oppo you can't afford to give the ball away as easy as Reading did, that's the main lesson. Still it's far more valuable than beating the cast of Abba in Sweden as we have for the last 2 years.

Agree with that but I think we'd have been better off playing River after a couple of games against Abba .... to get the fitness up.

So, bearing in mind that this tournament was a fixed date, when should the players have started pre-season training? Early/Mid June?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Jul 2007 14:33

Royalwaster

In fairness I think our fitness level was good,especially after all the chasing that we had to do in the first half when River Plate kept the ball for long periods.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Jul 2007 14:36

Where is this in Argentina's football calendar?

(July won't suffice.)

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Jul 2007 14:37

Between the Clausura and Apertura

(preseason)

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 13 Jul 2007 14:38

Thought Robson-Kanu looked a bit light on the wings, but good touches in part. Halls did ok I thought, doesn't have the natural pace but some neat touches. Cisse looks a bit light but given a few months he could be a real tank.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 13 Jul 2007 14:38

papereyes
Jon_rfc
brendywendy first game of preseason
river just finished season

im surprised we have had any chances whatsoever

They havent even finnished their season, they are only half way through it

I thought it had just finished.

There are two League tournaments in the Argentine Primera Division each calendar year. The Clausura season (closing) runs from February to June, and the Apertura (opening) season runs from August to December.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jul 2007 14:38

papereyes Between the Clausura and Apertura

(preseason)

Only two months between those though, Clausara finished in June, Apertura starts in August.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Jul 2007 14:40

RG30 Thought Robson-Kanu looked a bit light on the wings, but good touches in part. Halls did ok I thought, doesn't have the natural pace but some neat touches. Cisse looks a bit light but given a few months he could be a real tank.

I agree with Halls, i think he's a good player, i like the fact he nearly always looks for the positive option, likes to run at players, passes forwards, looks to create. He just doesn't have the pace to get back and defend afterwards, may have been the heat and the opposition? maybe.

Wouldn't mind seeing him in the middle of midfield to be honest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jul 2007 14:42

Royal Rother Where is this in Argentina's football calendar?

(July won't suffice.)

River Plate's last competitive fixture was on 15th June.

Garry Mann

by Garry Mann » 13 Jul 2007 14:56

Dirk Gently How to watch football, beer in hand.

Matching shirts and shorts, how sweet.

GIMPS

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 13 Jul 2007 15:08

Quite a work out for the second week of training. It'll be interesting to see how this approach to preseason works out. Stuffing 13 past FC Bennibjorn seemed to do wonders for our teamwork the last couple of years.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Jul 2007 15:09

Alan Partridge
RG30 Thought Robson-Kanu looked a bit light on the wings, but good touches in part. Halls did ok I thought, doesn't have the natural pace but some neat touches. Cisse looks a bit light but given a few months he could be a real tank.

I agree with Halls, i think he's a good player, i like the fact he nearly always looks for the positive option, likes to run at players, passes forwards, looks to create. He just doesn't have the pace to get back and defend afterwards, may have been the heat and the opposition? maybe.

I think Halls only position is wing-back because he is a poor defender,positionally and tackling.
As we don't play with wing backs I can't see a great future for him with us behind Hoyte,Murty and DLC.
Don't think he is agile enough to play in central midfield.
For those that thought Halford was slow in getting back to defend away at Spurs get a tape of this game and you will see that Halls is significantly slower.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 13 Jul 2007 15:12

papereyes No matter the opposition we need some creativity in the middle of the park, not at any point in the game did we play a penetrative pass through the midfield, everything comes down the flank

It did, for the most part, last season.[/quote]

And even more so the season before that - it's the way we play !

But I wouldn;t disgaree that a creative midfielder who could play those sort of passes would be a great addition to the side...

Skyline

by Skyline » 13 Jul 2007 15:14

Victor Meldrew I think Halls only position is wing-back because he is a poor defender,positionally and tackling.
As we don't play with wing backs I can't see a great future for him with us behind Hoyte,Murty and DLC.

But the club have denied any interest in Hoyte, haven't they?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Jul 2007 15:25

Skyline
Victor Meldrew I think Halls only position is wing-back because he is a poor defender,positionally and tackling.

But the club have denied any interest in Hoyte, haven't they?

i think the club have denied interest in absolutely everyone

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 13 Jul 2007 15:32

Victor Meldrew
Alan Partridge

I think Halls only position is wing-back because he is a poor defender,positionally and tackling.
Don't think he is agile enough to play in central midfield.
For those that thought Halford was slow in getting back to defend away at Spurs get a tape of this game and you will see that Halls is significantly slower.

Have you ever played wing back?? It is a much harder position to play, especially if you are poor at getting back, and you need to be a hell of a lot fitter!!! If he can't play right back, which along with left back is the easiest position on the pitch, then there is little hope at wing back!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Jul 2007 15:44

It's not a hard position.
The covering is either done by the defensive holding midfielder or the right side of the back 3.
Halls has a decent touch but can't tackle-he has always been the same at Arsenal and Stoke and I doubt that he can change now-you either can tackle or you can't.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Jul 2007 15:50

In the other match Lyon beat Smizu S-Pulse 2-0.

218 posts