New central midfielder ?

187 posts
rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 24 Jul 2007 20:17

dontbedaft What about Oster? Isn't the centre his preference? I have only seen him in a few cameos as a sub on the wing (on the telly in Canada) but he has looked quite skillful and creative.

well it seems when he is out on the wing that he is useless, but when i have seen him in centre mid he looks quite useful. has good feet.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 24 Jul 2007 21:11

rg6royal
dontbedaft What about Oster? Isn't the centre his preference? I have only seen him in a few cameos as a sub on the wing (on the telly in Canada) but he has looked quite skillful and creative.

well it seems when he is out on the wing that he is useless, but when i have seen him in centre mid he looks quite useful. has good feet.

sounds ok

defensive mid's gunnar, cisse

attacking mids harper , oster

4 players for two positions....

not worried, cant wait for the season.................

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 24 Jul 2007 21:25

Skyline As Mr A and WR could tell you, I've been saying Bikey's style of play is more suited to midfield rather than defence for some time now.

I won't be at all surprise if he proves to be Sidwell's long term replacement. He's just as tough in the tackle and no worse passer of the ball....................only Sidwell's work rate might be a problem.

However, Gunnarsson and Cisse must be in with a shout, too, and, as I've said before, the biggest bonus for me is that Centre mid won't be a closed shop for the time being.

May the best man win whilst others mourn Sidwell's passing and panic about the future when there may be no need whatsoever.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 24 Jul 2007 23:37

Woodcote Royal May the best man win whilst others mourn Sidwell's passing and panic about the future

FAO Woodcote

HONESTLY WOULD YOU PLEASE LEAVE THIS NOW, YOU ARE MAKING MY EYES BLEED.

Cheers

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Jul 2007 10:11

Dear Sir,

Having a mental age of 5 is not a prerequisite to post on this board but it would be so nice if you could look upon it as a goal that you might aim for.

As much as it's clear to everyone just how big a hole has been left in your life by the parting of soul mate Siddy, you really must learn to move on or, perhaps, invest in a season ticket at Stamford Bridge.

I know you won't believe me right now but, as ever, time is a big healer.................I will be thinking of you at this difficult time

WR
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 25 Jul 2007 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 25 Jul 2007 10:20

Woodcote Royal on this bored

How true!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Jul 2007 10:34

rotherwick_royal
Woodcote Royal on this bored

How true!

Now edited HTH

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 25 Jul 2007 11:16

Of course, the fact of the matter is none of us know what Sidders' departure will mean until the first month of the season has been and gone.

I will admit to being a little apprehensive though. Not because I subscribe to the fan club as I don't think Sidwell is anywhere near as good as he (and the media) believes. But rather because watching the review DVDs last weekend made me realise just how involved he was last season. Plenty of assists, some goals and lots of chances missed. I was genuinely surprised by this as I cannot recall thinking so at the time.

We are short of quality options in central midfield and I would like to see someone come in, but we'll just have to trust SC and co on this.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Jul 2007 12:01

This is the quote from Coppell.

"So I think I need one more in central midfield to make sure we’re not vulnerable. We have names we toy around with, but we’ll toy with them more when we get back"

I can't think of any other example of when Coppell has come out and even admited that he wants to strengthen in a particular position. For Coppell to actually say this shows how much he thinks we need a centre mid, because he knows what we have in the current squad in un balanced.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 25 Jul 2007 12:02

rg6royal

IMO, Oster has not been played in his best position. He has all the attributes of being able to link the midfield to the strikers, but unfortunately for him, we haven't really played that system in his time here. We've relyed on Sidwell to do that, because he had the ability to get back and defend as well. Not one of Oster's strongest skills.

If we trust the back four and Harper/Gunnarsson to hold the line at the back and allow Oster to pull the strings in the middle, then you'll see how good he is. Bit risky though.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jul 2007 13:37

Who Moved The Goalposts? Of course, the fact of the matter is none of us know what Sidders' departure will mean until the first month of the season has been and gone.

I will admit to being a little apprehensive though. Not because I subscribe to the fan club as I don't think Sidwell is anywhere near as good as he (and the media) believes. But rather because watching the review DVDs last weekend made me realise just how involved he was last season. Plenty of assists, some goals and lots of chances missed. I was genuinely surprised by this as I cannot recall thinking so at the time.

We are short of quality options in central midfield and I would like to see someone come in, but we'll just have to trust SC and co on this.

that is just rubbish

there have been many occasions when sidders wasnt present due to injury/fatigue and the team more than limped on without him

not sure what the difference is to now

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Jul 2007 14:06

People on this board go on and on about Sidwell but they forget two things.

In the Championship winning season he was injured for a large part and only played 29 games but we never lost once when he did not play. Gunnarson and Oster filled in well.

Secondly last season he had a lot of weak performances. He was excellent in some games (Aston Villa and West Ham at home spring to mind) but he also had some very weak games.

Even without another additional central midfielder (other than Cisse) I am sure we will be fine but I will be very surprised if SC does not add one more (as he has said) before Aug 31st - in which case I honestly believe we will have a considerably stronger squad than we had at the start of last season.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Jul 2007 14:17

andrew1957 People on this board go on and on about Sidwell but they forget two things.

In the Championship winning season he was injured for a large part and only played 29 games but we never lost once when he did not play. Gunnarson and Oster filled in well.

Secondly last season he had a lot of weak performances. He was excellent in some games (Aston Villa and West Ham at home spring to mind) but he also had some very weak games.

Even without another additional central midfielder (other than Cisse) I am sure we will be fine but I will be very surprised if SC does not add one more (as he has said) before Aug 31st - in which case I honestly believe we will have a considerably stronger squad than we had at the start of last season.

Agree with all of that, well said.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Jul 2007 14:32

Woodcote Royal
andrew1957 People on this board go on and on about Sidwell but they forget two things.

For the millionth time why did Coppell not play Bryn instead of Sid for the last two seasons?

The answer is either A. Because you're wrong and Sidwell the better player. And as Coppell has said we need to replace him with a player better than we currently have/

Or B. Coppell's an idiot and with Bryn and Harps playing centre mid we'd have got 130 points in the Championship and won the Premiership last season..

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 25 Jul 2007 14:52

Woodcote Royal

I personally think that we are a weaker side without Sidwell in it with the current players we have to choose from, however...

... we've been short in midfield for a couple of seasons now and required that extra player who can create something going forward. The only reason I can think of for not buying such a player earlier is that we have been fortunate enough over lthe last few years to have a midfield pairing that has picked itself and injuries have been rare.

Sidwells departure has highlighted how thin our options are though in midfield and we need another playmaker. Harper can play this role but if he were to get injured then there is no adequate replacement in our current squad and hopefully this is remedied before the season kicks off, and the sooner the better, allowing any new additions to settle in.

johnnym

by johnnym » 25 Jul 2007 14:58

sidwell was never a playmaker - he was a box to box man, getting the tackles in to break it up higher up the pitch.
if we have playmakers then it's our wide two and shorey.

for what it's worth, i was not overly excited by sidder's contribution last season. he wasted far too many opportunities and whilst his departure may mean we are a man short in midfield, i think we have more than enough to cope. i think harper will be a better player for not playing with sidwell.

rfc is all about the team and we have never been about individuals. coppell always picks those that either a. have the shirt and are performing to a level or b. fit the tactics for the game. that won't change i'm sure

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Jul 2007 15:16

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe This is the quote from Coppell.

"So I think I need one more in central midfield to make sure we’re not vulnerable. We have names we toy around with, but we’ll toy with them more when we get back"

I can't think of any other example of when Coppell has come out and even admited that he wants to strengthen in a particular position. For Coppell to actually say this shows how much he thinks we need a centre mid, because he knows what we have in the current squad in un balanced.

That can't be the case as we've signed some centre-backs.

That has got to make the squad better.

:roll:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 25 Jul 2007 15:18

for what it's worth, i was not overly excited by sidder's contribution last season. he wasted far too many opportunities and whilst his departure may mean we are a man short in midfield, i think we have more than enough to cope.

GAH

1) We need to replace the player

2) We need to improve the quality

Gunnarson - yes
Oster - :shock:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Jul 2007 15:31

I rarely read this board but please tell me nobody thinks we're better off without Sidwell or that Gunnarrsson is a better player? :shock:

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Jul 2007 15:36

Maguire I rarely read this board but please tell me nobody thinks we're better off without Sidwell or that Gunnarrsson is a better player? :shock:

Not just Bryn, but Oster, Bikey and Cisse too. :roll:

187 posts