New central midfielder ?

187 posts
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

New central midfielder ?

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Jul 2007 16:04

We keep saying we need a new central midfielder to replace Sidwell?

Cisse? Maybe.................but I think there is a ready made replacement and he's been here a year now.

We have plenty of centre backs so it makes sense to put our Bikey into the midfield role.

He may be a bit raw, may need to improve his passing and decision making but what do you think?

The boy is improving all the time.

Skyline

by Skyline » 24 Jul 2007 16:06

As Mr A and WR could tell you, I've been saying Bikey's style of play is more suited to midfield rather than defence for some time now.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 24 Jul 2007 16:11

We need a midfielder who can break forward and score goals, not one that can sit back and defend as we dont seem to have a problem there - Gunnarsson, Cisse and as you say Bikey can all do that role.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 24 Jul 2007 16:13

not a chance with Bikey in midfield, Cisse can do well there along with Harper and Gunnar.

Bikey was for me the player of the peace cup at centre back and is getting better with every game, he will be a useful player in sonkos absence, and even superman may have a job to displace him

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 24 Jul 2007 16:13

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Jul 2007 16:15

That Friday Feeling http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56544&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=147

Sorry

Please forgive me, please.......................

johnnym

by johnnym » 24 Jul 2007 16:16

..step forward James Harper.

i think he was quoted in the EP saying he had been asked whilst playing with Sidwell to hold back and let him do the attacking.

cast your mind back to our championship winning season, early doors when many here agreed that a midfield of Harps and Gunnarsson was our best pairing, with Harper playing the attacking role. interestingly, Gunnarsson does well attacking the box too...4 goals last year was it??

i'd prefer to see Bikey as a CB and Harper as our attacking midfielder, supported by someone like Gunnarsson.

u f'ing r's

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 24 Jul 2007 16:16

I'm not gonna discount his abilities as a midfielder because i've only ever seen him play there once, although to be honest i wasn't that impressed.

However his outstanding performances in the Peace Cup and steady improvement during last season as a central defender suggest to me thats where we should be focusing with regards to his development.

Besides which, what the central midfield really lacks is someone that can create in the last 1/3 of the pitch where it matters. For all Bikey's improvement this is never gonna be his forte.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Jul 2007 16:30

TBM We need a midfielder who can break forward and score goals, not one that can sit back and defend as we dont seem to have a problem there - Gunnarsson, Cisse and as you say Bikey can all do that role.
Harper can play as attacker with Bikey or Gunnarsson in the holding tole.

Harper may have a funny run, but he can run and run and run and scored almost as many as Sidwell last season.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New central midfielder ?

by Muskrat » 24 Jul 2007 16:35

Gordons Cumming We keep saying we need a new central midfielder to replace Sidwell?

Cisse? Maybe.................but I think there is a ready made replacement and he's been here a year now.

We have plenty of centre backs so it makes sense to put our Bikey into the midfield role.

He may be a bit raw, may need to improve his passing and decision making but what do you think?

The boy is improving all the time.

Errmmm....

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 24 Jul 2007 16:40

Forbury Lion
TBM We need a midfielder who can break forward and score goals, not one that can sit back and defend as we dont seem to have a problem there - Gunnarsson, Cisse and as you say Bikey can all do that role.

Harper may have a funny run, but he can run and run and run and scored almost as many as Sidwell last season.

So who challenges Harper for that role? - personally i feel we can get better than Harps or what if Harpers gets injured for 6 months a week after the deadline!?

ScottishRoyal

by ScottishRoyal » 24 Jul 2007 16:48

TBM
Forbury Lion

So who challenges Harper for that role? - personally i feel we can get better than Harps or what if Harpers gets injured for 6 months a week after the deadline!?

Exactly, we need more than one competant player (by Premiership standards, not putting square pegs in round holes) in each position.

Also Coppell said at the time of the Cisse signing that he was not Sidwells replacement so that suggests that there is still one more more attack-minded midfielder to be purchased.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 24 Jul 2007 17:02

I hate to say it but I'm starting to think we should have taken a risk on Koumas. Yeah he went for more than he's worth, but there's no one else outside the Premiership any better.

We need something different in the final 1/3 from our central midfield, someone who can make things happen with that little bit of extra flair, as much as I love Harps, I don't think he's got it in him.

What worries me is that the club must have been looking for this player for over a year now, knowing that Sid was leaving. If we haven't attracted the right quality of player by now, are we really going to by the end of the summer? We can only hope that other clubs dealings will mean players become available, but that never seems to happen. Coppell rightly won't spend for the sake of it, so a Harps and Bryn centre mid partnership seems the most likely option, for the start of the season anyway.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jul 2007 17:07

I agree with Doe-boy.

All the signs this summer are pointing towards Harper playing as the more offensive player because we can't find a more direct replacement for Sidwell. All the midfielders we've supposedly been interested in (I'm discounting Koumas as I don't think we went after him) have been defensively minded. To me that signals that we can't find the dynamic force that Sidwell was in another player we think is willing to come here.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks to see if the club can address the problem.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 24 Jul 2007 18:06

tbh i dont think we need to make any more signings.

mzungu_royal

by mzungu_royal » 24 Jul 2007 18:46

rg6royal tbh i dont think we need to make any more signings.

agreed to an extent, that if we buy more it destabilises the unity we have but Koumas would've been such a good player here. He's got the Parkinson tackle and the Sidwell forward mind. Am i right here or am i just being an idiot?

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 24 Jul 2007 18:47

I agree I dont think theres any burning need however im sure the backroom staff continue to sniff about for hungry non bigtime charlies who have potential to improove squad competition.
The club have done absolutely fantastic in recent years and I have every confidence we will defy the so called second season syndrome and lay another brick on our gradual road to complete and utter world domination of the beautiful game.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 24 Jul 2007 18:49

higher
I agree I dont think theres any burning need however im sure the backroom staff continue to sniff about for hungry non bigtime charlies who have potential to improove squad competition.
The club have done absolutely fantastic in recent years and I have every confidence we will defy the so called second season syndrome and lay another brick on our gradual road to complete and utter world domination of the beautiful game.

I like the sound of that 8)

mzungu_royal

by mzungu_royal » 24 Jul 2007 19:10

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo
higher

I like the sound of that 8)

Amen. bring ther season on , please!

dontbedaft

by dontbedaft » 24 Jul 2007 20:03

What about Oster? Isn't the centre his preference? I have only seen him in a few cameos as a sub on the wing (on the telly in Canada) but he has looked quite skillful and creative.

187 posts