Kitson and irony

141 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Aug 2007 09:07

Royal Rother Apparently Kitson was involved in a furious exchange with Ruud Gullit in the tunnell after the game... What's that all about? :shock:

Gullit was calling for Kitson to get at least a 6 match ban on Sky as in his it was one of the worst type of challenges in the game. I guess Kitson disagreed.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 13 Aug 2007 09:09

There is no point appealing the red card. Watch it again, it was studs and late, so the referee was perfectly in his right to send him off. The fact that he was going for the ball and it was only just mis-timed is irrelevant. Letter of the law and all that.

Kitson has been making those lunge tackles for a few years, it was always going to happen.

Bearing in mind the stick he gave Riggot for potentially ending his career, I will certainly be interested to hear what the ginger motor mouth has to say.

A1ndy

by A1ndy » 13 Aug 2007 09:10

Royal Rother Apparently Kitson was involved in a furious exchange with Ruud Gullit in the tunnell after the game... What's that all about? :shock:

That would go a long way in explaining why he seemed very upset about the challenge when arguing with Jamie Redknapp after the game.

End of the day, Gullit should just keep his mouth shut. No need in confronting Kitson about it and trying to get him in further bother over the situation.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Aug 2007 09:13

What's it got to do with Gullit? He wasn't there as part of the Reading or Man Utd team, he should have been in their little studio thing anyway,surely. :roll:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Aug 2007 09:17

If it had been Rooney on Murty it may have been a free kick, possibly a yellow, absolutely no way a red.

I also think if Doyle had made that challange before he went off, it would have been a yellow at worst. Rob Styles saw his chance to make himself the centre of attention, (with Kitson having only just come on) and went for it. His card was out before Evra hit the floor.

No point in appealing as there is no way the Premier League will rescind the first red card of the season.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Aug 2007 09:27

It was a borderline red, however, the incident was in front of the linesman and he instantly flagged and spoke in his microphone to the ref. It was a very rash challenge and in reality did not need to be made that far up the pitch, there was no need for him to run from ten yards or so away and throw himself foot first at the defender to block the ball. I can't envisage us appealing, Coppell even admitted that he was not surprised it was a red. Three game ban straight in effect for Chelsea, Everton and Bolton would be my feeling, let's hope the boy Long can slot into the 4-4-2 post Chelsea.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 13 Aug 2007 09:34

It was a clumsy challenge that probably merited a yellow no more.

If Evra had gone into the 'latin over reaction mode' then I bet he would have stayed one.

Much media comment, aside from Gullit, is that it was not a sending off and that what happened was extremely harsh.

I seem to recall in the first half a similar lunge by Rooney on Tim (DelaCruz) that didn't get punished, then later in the game Evra deliberately wrestled Hunt to the ground with no intent to play the ball and yet Styles seemed to think that was perfectly justified.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Aug 2007 09:45

It was above the ball, hit the defender on or above the ankle and was in front of the linesman. If you want to blame someone, blame the linesman as he made the recommendation to the ref

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 13 Aug 2007 09:52

Huntley & Palmer It was above the ball, hit the defender on or above the ankle and was in front of the linesman. If you want to blame someone, blame the linesman as he made the recommendation to the ref

Spot on H&P, not only did it catch him above the ankle, Evra's foot was well off the floor on the follow through after kicking the ball. So it was late, studs up and high. How is that not a red card? Evra was lucky not to get hurt.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Aug 2007 09:54

I have also seen plenty of red cards for these tackles before, it's not some sort of anti-Reading thing either

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Aug 2007 09:56

Huntley & Palmer It was above the ball, hit the defender on or above the ankle and was in front of the linesman. If you want to blame someone, blame the linesman as he made the recommendation to the ref

I don't know, as soon as the tackle went in I instinctively looked at the ref who already had his had in his back pocket for the red card. He wouldn't have had time to get an opinion from the lino.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Aug 2007 10:03

Schards#2

I don't know, as soon as the tackle went in I instinctively looked at the ref who already had his had in his back pocket for the red card. He wouldn't have had time to get an opinion from the lino.

Watch the slow-mo replay from side on, the linesman is talking on his mic to the ref as soon as he starts flagging for a foul. This advice from a person stood directly in front of the challenge would have been why Stiles went for the straight red

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2007 10:20

According to the Sun ...

Gullit asked Kitson when he was going to learn how to play football properly

Kitson told the former Chelsea boss to "mind his own business" and the pair went eyeball to eyeball for a few seconds.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 13 Aug 2007 10:30

Perhaps the league need to look at why Gullitt was there in the first place, like I said. It's nothing to do with him. :roll:

johnnym

by johnnym » 13 Aug 2007 10:52

never a red imho

i recall pre-season jeff winter remarking that prem league refs were going to clamp down hard on two footed challenges, which that was. so not a surprise to see the red, but no way deserving of it.

dems da breaks....we still got a VERY valuable pont.

Chelsea look very very frail at the back, I hope and am sure we will play 2 up against them.

URZ

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Aug 2007 10:53

johnnym never a red imho

i recall pre-season jeff winter remarking that prem league refs were going to clamp down hard on two footed challenges, which that was. so not a surprise to see the red, but no way deserving of it.

dems da breaks....we still got a VERY valuable pont.

Chelsea look very very frail at the back, I hope and am sure we will play 2 up against them.

URZ

Was also in the Observer in an interview with the head ref.

So maybe that was them showing that they are clamping down on it?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Aug 2007 10:53

Alan Partridge Seen Kitson make that sort of challenge a 100 tiems before and catch the guy a few times. It was no different to any of those ones. It's clumsy, it's a foul, it's a booking.

Styles couldn't get the card out quick enough, still he got to be the centre of attention so he'll be happy.

Don't blame Kits, it's his way of playing and if you take it away he isn't the same. My concern is now for wednesday and the next couple of games after that. I naturally presume Long will play now. doesn't fill me with anticipation but there we go. Lots of people have said it (myself included) we are a decent striker short, today was evidence of it, a really quick striker is needed to play 4-5-1 effectively without just 'parking the bus' in front of your goal. Now with Lita AND Kitson out for the next 3 matches goals are a worry.

Stick Seol up front.............................joking.

When i read my text that Kitson had got red for a bad tackle I could see an image, as Alan said of Dave lunging with those long legs of his. My mental image was spot on when I saw MOTD.

Not surprised it was a red, but the refereee shouldn't look so happy about giving it though. Attention Seeker. :roll:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 13 Aug 2007 10:54

As a pundit, it's your job to be controversial

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Aug 2007 10:59

Actually, if you want to blame someone, blame Kitson for a crude and irresponsible challenge that gave Styles (and the assistant referee) the option.

That sort of challenge can end a players season.

Whether it was malicious or not, and whether other challenges deserve the same doesn't justify it.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 13 Aug 2007 11:00

Scarface There is no point appealing the red card. Watch it again, it was studs and late, so the referee was perfectly in his right to send him off. The fact that he was going for the ball and it was only just mis-timed is irrelevant. Letter of the law and all that.

Kitson has been making those lunge tackles for a few years, it was always going to happen.

Bearing in mind the stick he gave Riggot for potentially ending his career, I will certainly be interested to hear what the ginger motor mouth has to say.

As a qualified ref I would have used some common sence relised the importance of the game and that the player had just come on and it was clumsey at worst given a yellow... It was never a Red card.

If referees worked games on letter of the Law hardly any games would get to full time.

However I agree theres no point in appealing the card. it was harsh but all that will happen is that the ban would be extended

141 posts