The Over-reaction Thread

468 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 01 Sep 2007 21:11

I must admit that I found today's performance truly hard to watch. It was by any stretch of the imagination awful and few players came out with any credit.

BUT - remember we have had two fantastic years. For some reason the players are clearly short of confidence right now. If the fans give them a really hard time and blame everyone from Mr Mad, to Sir Steve and each and every player they are hardly likely to get the confidence back. Now is the time for true supporters to SUPPORT the team and cheer them on to better performances.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Sep 2007 21:22

Royal Rother
Alan Partridge A full back that doesn't want to be here, no right sided players, the worst midfield in the division and strikers that don't strike.

You miserable tosser.

You don't deserve to support a club as well run as this one.

Thou must not ever criticise anyone involved with RFC. Forgot the rules. :roll:

Shorey's reaction at the end of the game, smiling, joking with the West Ham players and high fiving them, yeah he wants to be at Reading.

Angry after a shambolic performance, and result against an average Prem league side.

I personally couldn't give a flying fcuk what you think mate tbh, i really don't.

Will have my say and my view, disagree with it? Absolutely fine, resort to an insult because you disagree with it shows you up to childish and a bit simple. But have your moment.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Sep 2007 03:38

PEARCEY Do you think Derby have a better midfield? I dont think so.

So after finishing 8th last season, we're now comparing ourselves to Derby (who might be the worst team in the league) and we're hoping we are better? Wonderful.

Feel real bad for Coppell. He deserved better, and is gonna need to perform miracles again.

LOL at all those who said Gunnar is better than Sids. Feel free to pull heads out of asses. :P

Melbguy

by Melbguy » 02 Sep 2007 03:53

Denver Royal
Gordons Cumming We are now clear elegation candidates. :roll:

We're in the bottom 3, having played a game more, and we've lost our last two games 3-0 to average/poor sides. You don't think that makes us candidates?

We did it on a shoestring last season in the Premiership, and we're hoping lightning strikes twice.

Anyone still think Gunnar is better than Sids? LOL...

Nothing like credit where it's due, we were anything but average today we put you to the sword, the score flattered you, your managers words not mine.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 02 Sep 2007 03:58

Melbguy
Denver Royal

We're in the bottom 3, having played a game more, and we've lost our last two games 3-0 to average/poor sides. You don't think that makes us candidates?

We did it on a shoestring last season in the Premiership, and we're hoping lightning strikes twice.

Nothing like credit where it's due, we were anything but average today we put you to the sword, the score flattered you, your managers words not mine.

Your game plan certainly worked. The early goal didn't help us at all though... It's never easy being on the back foot within the first 10 minutes.

You made your chances, you took your chances... Well done. We had moments to bring the game into our grasp (hittin' the post and missing a pen just two of 'em) but it wasn't to be.

The Hammers did a good job today, fair dinkum.

Melbguy

by Melbguy » 02 Sep 2007 04:01

Alan Partridge
Royal Rother
Alan Partridge A full back that doesn't want to be here, no right sided players, the worst midfield in the division and strikers that don't strike.

You miserable tosser.

Shorey's reaction at the end of the game, smiling, joking with the West Ham players and high fiving them, yeah he wants to be at Reading.

Angry after a shambolic performance, and result against an average Prem league side.

I personally couldn't give a flying fcuk what you think mate tbh, i really don't.

Will have my say and my view, disagree with it? Absolutely fine, resort to an insult because you disagree with it shows you up to childish and a bit simple. But have your moment.

He's entitled to be pissed off, he was told he could leave he had a wage offer that tripled his existing one, not going to be good for moral keeping him methinks.

Melbguy

by Melbguy » 02 Sep 2007 04:03

Gav
Melbguy
Denver Royal

Your game plan certainly worked. The early goal didn't help us at all though... It's never easy being on the back foot within the first 10 minutes.

You made your chances, you took your chances... Well done. We had moments to bring the game into our grasp (hittin' the post and missing a pen just two of 'em) but it wasn't to be.

The Hammers did a good job today, fair dinkum.

Thanks, but please desist from saying "fair dinkum to me" I'm a cockney :wink:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Sep 2007 05:52

Alan Partridge Shorey's reaction at the end of the game, smiling, joking with the West Ham players and high fiving them, yeah he wants to be at Reading.

Hey ho, we all preferred it in the Championship anyway, right? :P

working class hero

by working class hero » 02 Sep 2007 10:58

Denver Royal
Alan Partridge Shorey's reaction at the end of the game, smiling, joking with the West Ham players and high fiving them, yeah he wants to be at Reading.

Hey ho, we all preferred it in the Championship anyway, right? :P

Well actually I did.

But I am not going to be paying current prices if we go down!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Sep 2007 11:48

I know football plays a far bigger part in some people's lives than it does mine but after 5 games, the season after we finished 8th, when we have made 3 signings all of whom I think are going to be more than half-decent but obviously need time to settle in, I seriously think that the doom and gloom merchants are being extremely overreactive.

Of course some of these people predicted we would be in trouble after only small investment in the close season, and some are probably small-minded enough to be a little bit pleased as they think they are being proved right, but surely the vast majority of fans are happy to be battling on the top table, happy that we are financially secure, and looking forward to our normally admirable team working out what's going wrong and putting it right in the next few games.

I for one relish seeing how they respond to the challenge and have every faith that the management, coaching staff and playing squad are one of the best equipped to turn around what is, after all, only a pretty minor blip in the last 2 games, into a positive. I say this because I am convinced that they are, collectively, the most intelligent bunch of professionals in the entire Premier League and this strength and character, allied to not inconsiderable footballing ability, will see us respond successfully to the challenge in front.

Here's hoping that in the next few weeks the post-match contributions to this thread will gradually become more along the lines of "Europe here we come...."
:wink:

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 02 Sep 2007 12:11

cmonurz
Royal Rother

You miserable tosser.

RR I don't generally think your posts are as bad as others make out, but that one is well wide of the mark.

I hate to agree with AP on the midfield, but I don't think you can find a worse one in the division.

Todd, Fagan, Oakley, Mears

Matt Oakley's good, but hes no Harps :D

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 02 Sep 2007 12:14

Todd was playing in central defence, no? And wasn't Fagan up front?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Sep 2007 12:41

Alan Partridge
Royal Rother

You miserable tosser.

And yet the 2 players I have criticised over the last year, (specifically highlighting why they have naffed me off) namely Seol and Lita, has met with your derision time and time again.

For me, just lashing out at everything to do with the club after just 2 poor performances in a completely negative way, without anything constructive, anything specific to say about it at all, is just feeble.

But I suppose football stirs up weird passions in some people, it's just a reaction I find totally alien to me, sitting comfortably in my armchair much of the time. :wink:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 02 Sep 2007 12:53

Melbguy
He's entitled to be pissed off, he was told he could leave he had a wage offer that tripled his existing one, not going to be good for moral keeping him methinks.

So now you know what he earns and what he was offered, do please tell us all. He will be one of our top earners, did he not get an improved contract last season along with others, turning down our extension will not have affected that.

I would guess to triple his wages West ham would have had to pay 0ver £2.5m a year.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 02 Sep 2007 13:04

Denver Royal
PEARCEY Do you think Derby have a better midfield? I dont think so.

So after finishing 8th last season, we're now comparing ourselves to Derby (who might be the worst team in the league) and we're hoping we are better? Wonderful.

Feel real bad for Coppell. He deserved better, and is gonna need to perform miracles again.

LOL at all those who said Gunnar is better than Sids. Feel free to pull heads out of asses. :P

Why? He's had all summer to address these problems. Why have just not sorted him out? You can't turn round and say I'm surprised we're not creating anything out wide, we've not got one right winger of Premiership quality who is crippled.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 02 Sep 2007 13:24

As I said after the Everton game, our decent start flattered us and papered over the cracks. We can't keep hold of the ball in midfield and constantly give possession away. That's OK if you have a top class defence, sadly we don't, they can't withstand constant pressure as the last two games have shown.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Sep 2007 14:41

Katie Marsden As I said after the Everton game, our decent start flattered us and papered over the cracks. We can't keep hold of the ball in midfield and constantly give possession away. That's OK if you have a top class defence, sadly we don't, they can't withstand constant pressure as the last two games have shown.

But that's not what happened yesterday is it?

I don't have the possession stats here, but it seemed pretty much even except when we were caught at the back. There's an equal number of chances created (10 vs 12 according to Observer), Reading got 10 more corners that West Ham.

What did us was not amount of possession but quality and pace of that possession. Last season, when we had the ball, it was put down the wings and across - forcing errors and chances. Yesterday, the ball was not wide and it was not fast, so the possession is not really worth having.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 06 Sep 2007 15:04

Certainly no over-reaction from Marcus Hahnemann!!!

Reading FC Official Site Has it been a bad week for the club?
Why what's happened?

Losing two games 3-0 in a week?
Oh god, you had me worried then, it sounded like something really bad had happened, like real tragedy. Yes we lost two games but its not the end of the world,

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Sep 2007 15:19

Katie Marsden As I said after the Everton game, our decent start flattered us and papered over the cracks. We can't keep hold of the ball in midfield and constantly give possession away. That's OK if you have a top class defence, sadly we don't, they can't withstand constant pressure as the last two games have shown.

i would say in the majority of games last season, away and at home, we did our fair share of losing possesion, and giving the ball away. possession stats all last year proved that
still finished 8th though

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 Sep 2007 15:26

Marcus is being dillusional if he thinks it's been a fine week, it hasn't. No club wants to go into an International break on the back of a defeat, especially the defeat we had against West Ham when we were 2nd best for most of the match.

468 posts