Confidence is the key

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Confidence is the key

by andrew1957 » 16 Sep 2007 15:14

I find some of the posters on this site so disappointing. The negativity on Hobnob is quite amazing.

I have watched Reading for many years and we have just had by far the most successful years ever in the cub's history. I accept that the management should not be complacent but I do not for one moment think they are being.

To me it is simply a question of confidence. Winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing - that is all there is to it. If a team is doing well then it easy to go into the next team confident and for some reason at the moment we seem to be lacking a little confidence.

BUT dropping Murty, sacking Coppell, getting a new chairman and all the other rubbish spouted on here is not the solution. Neither does spending millions guarantee success (Spurs come to mind - I really would be depressed if Reading had spent £40M and only had 4 points).

The solution is simply for the fans to get behind the team next Saturday against Wigan and roar the boys on to a good win. Before you know it the confidence will return and Reading will be rising up the table.

I know some will say this is blind faith on my part but I do not believe the heroes of last year have suddenly become completely useless. They are simply going through a bad patch and need our support more than ever.

Come on URZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Sep 2007 15:22

Working out why we have no wingers given that's where our success of the last few years came from might be a good idea.

Shevchenko

by Shevchenko » 16 Sep 2007 15:41

Last season we over-achieved. We all knew this season was going to be hard. Lets just keep supporting our team!

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 16 Sep 2007 16:45

papereyes Working out why we have no wingers given that's where our success of the last few years came from might be a good idea.
three got injured and one sulked and left.

Somehow, some are portraying injuries as some kind of mistake by the club and manager.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 16 Sep 2007 16:49

papereyes Working out why we have no wingers given that's where our success of the last few years came from might be a good idea.

Somehow, some are portraying injuries as some kind of mistake by the club and manager.

I think the point is that Little has been injured a long while, the prognosis looks a little gloomy and perhaps a signing to cover that position would have been prudent ?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 16 Sep 2007 16:56

Injuries are random (to some extent).

Failure to cover is something else.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 16 Sep 2007 19:47

Behindu

I think the point is that Little has been injured a long while, the prognosis looks a little gloomy and perhaps a signing to cover that position would have been prudent ?
if we are going to sign someone to be a new first choice winger, then yes, but how much do you pay for someone to come in as back-up, and would they want to come? If we wanted someone as good as little, how much would they cost?

You could argue that we shouldn't have sold Seol, but the general feeling when he went seemed to be that they were happy he'd gone.

We did also sign Rosenior, who is supposed to be able to play that position.

Doyle's mysterious total loss of confidence has hardly helped, as he's been a shadow of his old self since pre-season, and Lita's ploy of going down faster than an oxford road hooker on a slow thursday night is ending attacks every time he gets the ball.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Sep 2007 20:07

who are the three injured wingers?

Little is the only 1 i can think of

convey is fit, its only coppells stupidy which keeps him out the team

if you are thinking of oster, he is not a winger

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 17 Sep 2007 09:48

Doyle's mysterious total loss of confidence has hardly helped,

To be honest, I think someone may have suggested he could have a big move away from Reading.

Now, who was trying to convince us that clubs didn't do that to unsettle players?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 Sep 2007 09:56

Behindu

if we are going to sign someone to be a new first choice winger, then yes, but how much do you pay for someone to come in as back-up, and would they want to come? If we wanted someone as good as little, how much would they cost?

You could argue that we shouldn't have sold Seol, but the general feeling when he went seemed to be that they were happy he'd gone.

We did also sign Rosenior, who is supposed to be able to play that position.

Doyle's mysterious total loss of confidence has hardly helped, as he's been a shadow of his old self since pre-season, and Lita's ploy of going down faster than an oxford road hooker on a slow thursday night is ending attacks every time he gets the ball.

Are people still kidding themselves that Rosenior was signed for right wing? The lad is a right back that likes going forward, he has been purchased with a view to replacing Murts and DLC and cover at the best for right wing until we sign someone. Rosenior said it and Coppell said it, it's not his natural position

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 17 Sep 2007 10:00

Huntley & Palmer Are people still kidding themselves that Rosenior was signed for right wing? The lad is a right back that likes going forward, he has been purchased with a view to replacing Murts and DLC and cover at the best for right wing until we sign someone. Rosenior said it and Coppell said it, it's not his natural position

full back or midfield he is fine.

right midfield is not the same as right wing.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Confidence is the key

by Royalwaster » 17 Sep 2007 10:00

andrew1957 I find some of the posters on this site so disappointing. The negativity on Hobnob is quite amazing.

I have watched Reading for many years and we have just had by far the most successful years ever in the cub's history. I accept that the management should not be complacent but I do not for one moment think they are being.

To me it is simply a question of confidence. Winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing - that is all there is to it. If a team is doing well then it easy to go into the next team confident and for some reason at the moment we seem to be lacking a little confidence.

BUT dropping Murty, sacking Coppell, getting a new chairman and all the other rubbish spouted on here is not the solution. Neither does spending millions guarantee success (Spurs come to mind - I really would be depressed if Reading had spent £40M and only had 4 points).

The solution is simply for the fans to get behind the team next Saturday against Wigan and roar the boys on to a good win. Before you know it the confidence will return and Reading will be rising up the table.

I know some will say this is blind faith on my part but I do not believe the heroes of last year have suddenly become completely useless. They are simply going through a bad patch and need our support more than ever.

Come on URZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Totally agree - I remember a few seasons ago when we were playing Ipswich and we won 3:1 or 3:0 (it was the game Fozzy scored a hattrick) and they looked very much like we look now; quite tidy going forward but absolutely no bite and disastrous at the back. They lost I think 7 on the trot and were at the bottom of the table at Xmas, and then after that almost got promoted as they went on a run. And then I think beat us in their home game looking like a completely different side ....

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 Sep 2007 10:20

Behindu
Huntley & Palmer Are people still kidding themselves that Rosenior was signed for right wing? The lad is a right back that likes going forward, he has been purchased with a view to replacing Murts and DLC and cover at the best for right wing until we sign someone. Rosenior said it and Coppell said it, it's not his natural position

full back or midfield he is fine.

right midfield is not the same as right wing.

That was my point :?

Doyler

by Doyler » 17 Sep 2007 10:41

winchester_royal

:? He was a right winger for both everton and sunderland and plays there for us. What do you suggest is his best position then?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 17 Sep 2007 10:45

Doyler
winchester_royal

:? He was a right winger for both everton and sunderland and plays there for us. What do you suggest is his best position then?

He is a winger, just not a very good one.

Fred Sharpe's Nose

by Fred Sharpe's Nose » 17 Sep 2007 11:10

Utterly concur with andrew1957, or, as another poster put it on another thread 'Oxford 2 Aldershot 3' - let's put this into perspective, shall we? However, having made such a bad start, Reading are going to have a hell of a job recovering to a mid-table position now - it's going to be a struggle to keep out of the relegation zone this season, in my view. What the players need is renewed confidence, maybe a good kick up the backside for some (including possibly the manager), but saying things like Hahnemann or Murty are going to get us relegated is not going to achieve anything positive at all.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 17 Sep 2007 12:56

Fred Sharpe's Nose Utterly concur with andrew1957, or, as another poster put it on another thread 'Oxford 2 Aldershot 3' - let's put this into perspective, shall we? However, having made such a bad start, Reading are going to have a hell of a job recovering to a mid-table position now - it's going to be a struggle to keep out of the relegation zone this season, in my view. What the players need is renewed confidence, maybe a good kick up the backside for some (including possibly the manager), but saying things like Hahnemann or Murty are going to get us relegated is not going to achieve anything positive at all.

Perhaps not, but whether or not Murty or Hahnemann should be playing is exactly the type of subject that should be discussed on a team discussion forum.

So what do we do, accept where we are and just look for the positives. We're football fans and we pay a lot of money to watch our club, so we have the right to moan about it in forums, but come Saturday we'll be there supporting the boys.

Some of us who could see this coming are bloody fcuked off that Coppell put his faith in the current squad when the warning signs were there at the tail end of last season.

Gregster

by Gregster » 17 Sep 2007 14:37

Scarface
Fred Sharpe's Nose Utterly concur with andrew1957, or, as another poster put it on another thread 'Oxford 2 Aldershot 3' - let's put this into perspective, shall we? However, having made such a bad start, Reading are going to have a hell of a job recovering to a mid-table position now - it's going to be a struggle to keep out of the relegation zone this season, in my view. What the players need is renewed confidence, maybe a good kick up the backside for some (including possibly the manager), but saying things like Hahnemann or Murty are going to get us relegated is not going to achieve anything positive at all.

Perhaps not, but whether or not Murty or Hahnemann should be playing is exactly the type of subject that should be discussed on a team discussion forum.

So what do we do, accept where we are and just look for the positives. We're football fans and we pay a lot of money to watch our club, so we have the right to moan about it in forums, but come Saturday we'll be there supporting the boys.

Some of us who could see this coming are bloody fcuked off that Coppell put his faith in the current squad when the warning signs were there at the tail end of last season.

Seconded. We're allowed to moan and in some cases, it's looking at the negatives that help you identify a solution.

Hahnemann is spilling a LOT of balls this year. Fact. If that conservatively costs us 5 goals this season, it's too many.

With the squad at Sunderland, something isn't right and whilst it's painful to think that a few new faces deserve a chance to upset a few of the recent 'if he's fit, he plays' positions, immediate changes are needed to improve matters.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 17 Sep 2007 14:38

Seconded. We're allowed to moan and in some cases, it's looking at the negatives that help you identify a solution.

Some?

Always.

Constructive criticism > "back the boys, don't whinge" GUBBINS

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 17 Sep 2007 18:05

If you look at last year each time we went on a good run it was sparked by an event/good performance.

The first day come back against Boro was started by one fantastic Shorey run.
Ingi's great header against Man City led to a good run of 3 wins and a draw
The win against Spurs was the first of 4 on the run.
The win against West Ham came after a run of 6 without a win and sparked a run of 5 wins and a draw.
The win against Fulham (again after 6 without a win) was the first of 3.

The Premiership is a very hard league and success is about not letting bad results get you down but letting a good result spur you on.

I am hopeful of just such a result against Wigan.