We said it, he admitted it, but was Coppell actually wrong?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

We said it, he admitted it, but was Coppell actually wrong?

by Millsy » 08 Oct 2007 01:18

We all said he got it wrong, even the staunchest fiercest defenders of Coppell like myself. He even admitted to the mistake he made.

But looking at the table I'm struggling a little bit to justify this point fo view, or the harsh treatment he got from us.

Of course I'm not sayign there is no problem whatsoever. We scraped a victory agaisnt the bottom of the table side at home, we let in seven against Pompey etc etc. Clearly we've got problems. But teh question is, how important are these problems considering the effect (or lack of) it's having on our league position.

The FACT is the table doesn't lie. The FACT is there ARE eight teams below us in the table. No matter how badly we've done, no matter rubbish we are, the FACT is there are eight teams who have done worse.

*Perhaps* when Sonko comes back if we can get a safe bottom half finish this year without demolishing our careful wage structure for EVER, and spending loads it'll be the biggest victory of all and we'll be £30 million richer? Perhaps therefore Coppell's so called 'mistake' was the wisest move since he joined and one we should eb eternally grateful for?

To be honest, I'm now really not sure I actually want us to spend big bucks and ruin our wage structure just to finish a couple of places higher. It's nice to know we have that ammo up our sleeves but quite frankly I'd rather take the £30million than ruin everything over a few nerves. Please, Coppell, do what you think is best and don't panic buy because of a few jittery fans' opinions!

Did we (including Coppell) panic a little too early?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 08 Oct 2007 01:29

football is football.
a win is a win is a win.
better than losing.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 08 Oct 2007 07:46

Do you think we will get 10 points from the next 10 games? We will be very fortunate to do so. The pattern of this season is already set - runs of defeats away from home followed by huge 6 point home games against fellow strugglers in this bottom 8.

Very few people wnat RFC to go mad in the transfer market but they will have to spend to get players in who are comfortable at this level.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 08 Oct 2007 07:56

The Quiet Man Do you think we will get 10 points from the next 10 games?

Not completely out of the question - wins at home to Boro and Sunlun + one other (Newcastle maybe - Derby beat them at PP) and a draw from one of the other 7.

Or should I go and slit my wrists now as we're already doomed?

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 08 Oct 2007 08:00

We are looking less convincing than last year, but we seem to be nearing the end of our spate of 3-goal drubbings, and there's every chance that a whole bunch of 'nobbers could be made to look very foolish if we can hold this position until January.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: We said it, he admitted it, but was Coppell actually wro

by RoyalBlue » 08 Oct 2007 08:16

2 world wars, 1 world cup We all said he got it wrong, even the staunchest fiercest defenders of Coppell like myself. He even admitted to the mistake he made.

But looking at the table I'm struggling a little bit to justify this point fo view, or the harsh treatment he got from us.

Of course I'm not sayign there is no problem whatsoever. We scraped a victory agaisnt the bottom of the table side at home, we let in seven against Pompey etc etc. Clearly we've got problems. But teh question is, how important are these problems considering the effect (or lack of) it's having on our league position.

The FACT is the table doesn't lie. The FACT is there ARE eight teams below us in the table. No matter how badly we've done, no matter rubbish we are, the FACT is there are eight teams who have done worse.

*Perhaps* when Sonko comes back if we can get a safe bottom half finish this year without demolishing our careful wage structure for EVER, and spending loads it'll be the biggest victory of all and we'll be £30 million richer? Perhaps therefore Coppell's so called 'mistake' was the wisest move since he joined and one we should eb eternally grateful for?

To be honest, I'm now really not sure I actually want us to spend big bucks and ruin our wage structure just to finish a couple of places higher. It's nice to know we have that ammo up our sleeves but quite frankly I'd rather take the £30million than ruin everything over a few nerves. Please, Coppell, do what you think is best and don't panic buy because of a few jittery fans' opinions!

Did we (including Coppell) panic a little too early?

I would suggest that anyone who is now feeling reassured by yesterday's performance and the league table as it currently stands needs to take a reality check. Derby have failed to score, shipped 17 goals and lost every one of their away trips and yet still we looked less than convincing.

I was one of those hoping that the return of Oster would see an improvement. Admittedly yesterday was his first competitive game of any sort for some time (the fact he was even on the bench indicates what a mess we have got ourselves in with respect to a lack of wingers and adequate cover in the squad) but he was very disappointing when he came on.

kevan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by kevan » 08 Oct 2007 08:22

In the medium term one of the biggest challenges for the club is how to move from where we are now on wages to where we need to be to push on to the next level.

If performances prove to all the squad that we need to bring in some players at a higher level to compete (and I am not sure we need more than a couple to steady the ship for this year) then it becomes easier to introduce them without destroyng he team spirit.

Could actually be a breakthrough for us.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 08 Oct 2007 09:05

I just took a reality check.

I then looked at the league table, we're still 12th.

Haven't added up the amount of money spent by each of the teams below us.

Good to see Sonks on the verge of a return, likewise Oster.

The psychological impact of yesterday's game cannot be underestimated. A defeat might have finished our season. A clean sheet, a win and a goal for Doyle are all massively important.

It's going to be a grind, it's the sort fo season we really should have had last season. But already we're seeing that there is plenty of bottle in the side. I don;t think we'll be able to relax until the end of the season, but we're seeing the positives start to balance out the negatives.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 08 Oct 2007 09:08

Let's not forget..

WE ARE TOP..

of Premier League's 3rd division.

Simply put, we have been 'relegated' since last year, and need to strengthen our squad to ensure not only survival in PL3 - a tight division -, but a return to PL2. But PL2 is a tough league.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Oct 2007 09:16

We are more than capable of going to Fulham and winning. We are more than capeable of going to Birmingham and winning. Add that to the home games against Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Sunderland and we should be able to get 10 points quite easily.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Oct 2007 09:27

Wycombe Royal ................ we should be able to get 10 points quite easily.

Must make a mental note of that.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Oct 2007 10:07

Gordons Cumming

i back us to get ten points from next ten games too, if not a couple more

and oster wasnt that bad, caused them some problems when he came on, was just a bit shot shy, and getting back from injury
people need to get a grip, we are 12th, some easier games soming up after a two week break, after which we will have our 1st choice team available for the 1st time in month(little excepted)
get behind the team-you lot sound like closet swindon supporters sometimes

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 08 Oct 2007 10:11

Behindu Good to see Sonks on the verge of a return, likewise Oster.

...and Convey who, imho, might just prove to the most important piece of the jigsaw.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 08 Oct 2007 10:19

We are 12th, but look at it another way and we can't be overconfident of our safety this year.

We have 10 points from 9 games - over the season that would give us 42 points. Good enough to stay up most years, but not all.

We've played some decent sides (Man U, Chelsea, Pompey, Everton, though they can't seem to win away) and some sh*te ones (Derby, Sunderland, Wigan, Bolton) along with midtable West Ham. I don't think that our start has been particularly easy or difficult, so it's fair to say that if we carry on getting points at this rate... it's going to be a close-run thing.

I'm hoping the return of Convey and Sonko will give us a little lift, because the odd extra point here or there makes a big difference. 45 = potential relegation. 55 = potential UEFA cup place :shock:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Oct 2007 10:22

For those with short memories it may be worth saying that if Reading win one of their next two games we will be on exactly the same number of points as after 11 games last year - 13 to be exact (4 wins 1 draw and 6 defeats).

At times in the first 11 games of last season we were not very impressive either - so it really is still all to play for this season.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 08 Oct 2007 10:56

readingbedding football is football.
a win is a win is a win.
better than losing.

Spot on. :) Better than drawing too.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 08 Oct 2007 10:58

RoyalBlue I would suggest that anyone who is now feeling reassured by yesterday's performance and the league table as it currently stands needs to take a reality check. Derby have failed to score, shipped 17 goals and lost every one of their away trips and yet still we looked less than convincing.

Because, of course, that's the way football works. :roll: A team that's shipping 4/5/6 goals a time away from home simply must concede that every time or their opponents are crap.
Whilst we must all live on our nerves a little when the team are not performing at the top of their game, and it may be some time before the ship is put back upright, surely it's not beyond the bounds of proportion to to believe in Coppell and the team without outpourings of suicidal prophesies swamping the decks.
The last two seasons have seen the greatest success this club has ever enjoyed, but if you ran two marathons back-to-back, wouldn't you feel entitled to be a little bit out of breath without being criticised for being unfit?
The reality check is just that - reality. We've all been living a dream for two years, too many people have been blinded by the success into beliving we should NEVER again be a club on a poor run of results. I would still rather be losing games in the Premier League than games in the third tier of English football like we were just five short years ago.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Oct 2007 10:59

Winning ina shit 1-0 > losing 7-4

Can't please everyone i suppose, couldn't care. Clean sheet and a win yes please.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 08 Oct 2007 11:01

2 world wars, 1 world cup Did we (including Coppell) panic a little too early?

No, look at the performances (even the wins). If we maintain this level we'll be close to the bottom 3 at Christmas, as most teams will turn us over home and away.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 08 Oct 2007 11:15

brendywendy
Gordons Cumming

i back us to get ten points from next ten games too, if not a couple more

and oster wasnt that bad, caused them some problems when he came on, was just a bit shot shy, and getting back from injury
people need to get a grip, we are 12th, some easier games soming up after a two week break, after which we will have our 1st choice team available for the 1st time in month(little excepted)
get behind the team-you lot sound like closet swindon supporters sometimes

Oster wasn't that bad? He lost posession numerous times when he came on, in areas that nearly cost us dearly. If Derby could learn the offside rule then we may have only come away with a point. Don't start me on Gunnar either, it annoys me enough when I have to watch him chase the ball around like a six year old playing football. Let alone his attempts at tracking back at two miles an hour. Can see no reason why he is in front of Fae or Cisse, if any one else can I am open to suggestions.