Despondent

185 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Despondent

by floyd__streete » 03 Nov 2007 21:21

I find myself questioning my club, its management and players tonight after another powder-puff cave-in away from home today. I back Mr Madejski and Steve Coppell 100% and even if we are relegated this season - as I believe we could very well be - I'd still want and expect the latter to be the man to take us forward, but my patience is becoming very frayed lately.

The most depressing thing today is that I don't think we could have reasonably expected any more from this Reading team today. We're carrying plenty of passengers in this team at the moment; I will leave the HNA panel of experts to debate which of our players I am referring but they are people who have served us well, taken us as far as they can and have long since exceeded their shelf-life. Today's game was an absymal spectacle it really was; our football in the first half was an embarassment and save an early second half rally we rarely looked like winning this game against a side without a win in any competition since bloody August. When Fulham went 2-1 up and our good spell was punctured did any of us realistically expect us to get back into the game a second time? And when you look at the lack of game-changing options on the bench you really do tend to give up on us getting a result out of most games we go behind in (ie. most of them).

I still enjoy the away trips, the day out, the camarederie and company of some very good friends but the bit in the middle (ie. the game itself) has been an overpriced waste of time this season. Sure, the home form is keeping our head above waster but with Arsenal and Liverpool to come at the Madejski over the next few weeks even that saving grace is seriously jeopardised. I expect a grim few weeks ahead until the transfer window opens....will RFC as usual talk a good game and fail to deliver in January?

Daniella

by Daniella » 03 Nov 2007 21:39

Good post floyd, agree with all of it.
We just aren't good enough for premiership football, our defence is absolutely woeful and we are being carved apart at will.
I've accepted the club has peaked and the only way is down, im thankful I was there to watch our decline from elm park and even more delighted I have also enjoyed the clubs surge to its all time high. Every reading fan should know that with the current state of english football, clubs like us don't survive or progress. The only thing I am slightly angry about is the clubs lack of ambition in the market, it has been very poor. Having said that we've gaurenteed our club not going bust in the next 20 years with that money saved, so thats a positive. Its just a shame the club accepted we are not going to compete. The future for reading I believe is in the championship, we have some very good youth players coming through and hopefully we will get to enjoy some home-made talent over the next few years, especially with the performance of henry today, its encouraging.
I'll be there when we slide back to the championship, infact I'll probably get to see some old faces again then went missing when the prices doubled. Its not all doom and gloom.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 03 Nov 2007 21:45

we just can't keep affording to leak goals the way we do away from home. Tbh i don't think we deserved to lose as Fulham didn't look like a good footballing team at all but we made them look good as times with stupid mistakes. Was shocked with Shorey's passing today which was dreadful. Convey should of came on earlier. Glad doyle got his goal though.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Despondent

by cmonurz » 03 Nov 2007 21:50

floyd__streete I expect a grim few weeks ahead until the transfer window opens....will RFC as usual talk a good game and fail to deliver in January?

Of course they will - it's how the club manages its fans, keeps up this pretence of a club looking forward, trying to develop, when in reality it is happy to ride the Premiership wage on the smallest budget in the league, until the wave silently crashes, and we slip quietly back from whence we came.

Premiership football is critical to this club - its doesn't have a huge fan base, and it doesn't have an established reputation. Nevermind the likes of Shorey and Lita - Kitson, Doyle, Harper, Hunt, Convey, Sonko have all done enough to enhance their reputations over the last 18 months, and I would wager none would start a Championship season with us.

I simply can't see this club 'bouncing back' from relegation, but nor can I see the club's management striving to ensure that doesn't happen, with a baffling approach to transfers and to team selection.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Nov 2007 21:51

Daniella Good post floyd, agree with all of it.
We just aren't good enough for premiership football, our defence is absolutely woeful and we are being carved apart at will.
I've accepted the club has peaked and the only way is down, im thankful I was there to watch our decline from elm park and even more delighted I have also enjoyed the clubs surge to its all time high. Every reading fan should know that with the current state of english football, clubs like us don't survive or progress. The only thing I am slightly angry about is the clubs lack of ambition in the market, it has been very poor. Having said that we've gaurenteed our club not going bust in the next 20 years with that money saved, so thats a positive. Its just a shame the club accepted we are not going to compete. The future for reading I believe is in the championship, we have some very good youth players coming through and hopefully we will get to enjoy some home-made talent over the next few years, especially with the performance of henry today, its encouraging.
I'll be there when we slide back to the championship, infact I'll probably get to see some old faces again then went missing when the prices doubled. Its not all doom and gloom.

Away from home we are not good enough but at home we can hold our own against most sides and that might just be good enough this season.
I may be naive but I do think there will be significant transfer activity in January and some serious money spent.
Have faith I think we will survive relegation this season...not by much but this team does manage to win crucial six pointers at home when it needs to.
The Premiership ride isn't over after a dozen games.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Nov 2007 21:52

PEARCEY I do think there will be significant transfer activity in January and some serious money spent.

You think you're naive, I thought that in July 2006, January 2007, and July 2007.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 03 Nov 2007 21:55

cmonurz
PEARCEY I do think there will be significant transfer activity in January and some serious money spent.

You think you're naive, I thought that in July 2006, January 2007, and July 2007.

Yes so did I....this time I do think the chairman will want to see the squad strengthened because if he does want to flog the club the sale price will be a lot lower if we are playing in the same division as Carlisle next season.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Despondent

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Nov 2007 21:57

cmonurz Nevermind the likes of Shorey and Lita - Kitson, Doyle, Harper, Hunt, Convey, Sonko have all done enough to enhance their reputations over the last 18 months, and I would wager none would start a Championship season with us.

I'm not sure a relegated team has sold eight of it's best players before.

Three or four maybe, but not eight.

Oxon_Royal

by Oxon_Royal » 03 Nov 2007 22:01

rg6royal Convey should of came on earlier. Glad doyle got his goal though.

Convey should 'HAVE', FFS (yet another illiterate on HNA).

Seems I got out when Reading had reached their summit, but may renew my ST if/when they get relegated. At least prices may become reasonable again.
However, I sincerely hope they stay up as SC deserves it after all he's done for this club.

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 03 Nov 2007 22:15

The post is spot on and exactly how i feel. If we are to survive in this divison we need to win most of our home game and nick a few away games and this was on of the away games we should be getting results. Fulham are poor anyway, but they were weakened today and apart from 10 minutes in the second half we never look like winning this game.

The biggest concern is the quality of the players. How many other premiership clubs these player be first team regulars for, i dont mean would they get into derby or wigan, i mean the more established clubs.
IMO Murty, USA, Duberry, Gunnasson, Hunt, Ivar would not start at any other half decent side simply because they are not good enough, sure they have the occasional good game and may get a move like hunt was wanted by pompey etc but they will soon be found out much like halford.
Doyle, Lita, Kitson, Sonko, Shorey would get into alot of side.
and the rest i.e. convey, rosenior, Harper, Bikey still have question marks.
But this is not enough to become an established club, not only this but it is too top heavy, there is no point scoring 4 if we are going to concede 7. The gap between our good players and the rest is way to big, gunnasson, USA and Hunt should not be playing in the same team as Sonko Shorey and Doyle.

But now is not the time to turn on the team we need to stick together and support them, atleast until january when hopefully we will bring in some new blood. The away support was brillant today and needs to be kept up.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 03 Nov 2007 22:35

Cheer up Floyd we've been here before with Mr Coppell, remember Rotherham midweek a few years back - a team that hadn't won at home for 3 months and RFC (Sidwell included) played utter sh*te and contrived to lose the game in the last minute to a Sonko and USA screw up. I came away from that game thinking Coppell's days were numbered as his supposed 442 was unbalanced and lacked natural wingers. Lots of debates were being had on here about how serious Mr Mad was about spending money!!

Mr C rebuilt that team on his balanced 442 and the rest is history.

Currently I'd agree that things are depressing as the team that played today is weaker than the team that won the championship and it badly needs gutting out with 4 or 5 players some of them sacred cows being shipped out (anyone remember Forster or Williams from around that time the sacred cows of their time). Todays central midfield is a chocolate fireguard away from home, the wings are unbalanced, and the full backs have forgotten that the first of their jobs is to tackle, close down and where possible prevent crosses coming in.

One way or another someone will be carrying out that job next season whether in the prem or the fizzy pop league. If and it is a big if, we spend money in January then the type of signings we make will make it clear the direction of the clear out, basically if we sign championship players that is where we will expect to be next season, if we sign one or two established premier league players who aren't at the Les Ferdinand stage then we will be expecting to stay in the prem.

One question that is always worth debate given our recent transfer history and less than exciting signings - who is doing what out of Mr Mad, the Director of F@ckall, Coppell, the Chief Scout. Our DoF has gone very quiet on his terrific efforts in the summer transfer window he surely can't have made a mistake or two in matching Mr Mad and and Coppells expectations.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Nov 2007 22:46

Daniella Good post floyd, agree with all of it.
I've accepted the club has peaked and the only way is down, im thankful I was there to watch our decline from elm park and even more delighted I have also enjoyed the clubs surge to its all time high. Every reading fan should know that with the current state of english football, clubs like us don't survive or progress. The only thing I am slightly angry about is the clubs lack of ambition in the market, it has been very poor. Having said that we've gaurenteed our club not going bust in the next 20 years with that money saved, so thats a positive.

I'm not sure we are guaranteed that at all.

Out of interest, is there anything at all to stop a majority shareholder chairman paying himself a handsome bonus out of tv money etc. before exiting a club?

John Peel

by John Peel » 03 Nov 2007 23:12

It never ceases to amaze me how depressing this forum can be sometimes. Maybe I got caught up in the best away atmosphere for ages, but I thought we were unluckly to lose today. Niemi made at least three great saves for starters. We were let down by lapses of concentration and I admit that the centre of midfield was non-existent, but there were lots of positives to take from the game too. And today we showed we still have the stomach for a fight. Best away performance since Man U (although I know that's not saying much).

I do admit though that Shorey looks like a completely different player and his passing and positioning was sub-standard at times, but we don't have another left back. Gunnar must go to be replaced by Fae. Doyle obviously hates being put on the right so suggest putting him back up front next Monday with Kits, with Rosenoir in his place. Lita can complain all he likes but he just aint good enough at the moment. The whole team needs to work on its passing as the completion rate is worse than most.

Bottom line is that we all knew it was going to be tough this year so deal with it. Our luck is down, that's all. It's not that we're playing much worse than last year - that would be far from the truth. I can remember being a poor second to Fulham last year, and that was against ten men! West Ham away we were also lucky to win. I could go on.

And if we go down, so what. I'd rather go down than bow to the sickening demands of today's players.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Nov 2007 23:22

Oxon_Royal
rg6royal Convey should of came on earlier. Glad doyle got his goal though.

Convey should 'HAVE', FFS (yet another illiterate on HNA).

Does it matter?

Gee whizz.

:roll:

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 03 Nov 2007 23:25

John Peel It never ceases to amaze me how depressing this forum can be sometimes. Maybe I got caught up in the best away atmosphere for ages, but I thought we were unluckly to lose today. Niemi made at least three great saves for starters. We were let down by lapses of concentration and I admit that the centre of midfield was non-existent, but there were lots of positives to take from the game too. And today we showed we still have the stomach for a fight. Best away performance since Man U (although I know that's not saying much).

I do admit though that Shorey looks like a completely different player and his passing and positioning was sub-standard at times, but we don't have another left back. Gunnar must go to be replaced by Fae. Doyle obviously hates being put on the right so suggest putting him back up front next Monday with Kits, with Rosenoir in his place. Lita can complain all he likes but he just aint good enough at the moment. The whole team needs to work on its passing as the completion rate is worse than most.

Bottom line is that we all knew it was going to be tough this year so deal with it. Our luck is down, that's all. It's not that we're playing much worse than last year - that would be far from the truth. I can remember being a poor second to Fulham last year, and that was against ten men! West Ham away we were also lucky to win. I could go on.

And if we go down, so what. I'd rather go down than bow to the sickening demands of today's players.

Agree 100% .....it was one of our better away efforts and there are 3 by far worse teams than us in this division .... we will be fine... your changes for the next game also sound good....maybe Covey on the right and Rosenior at right back though.

After watching the game on t'internet, I thought that we were the better team a fact bourne out by Match of the day, both by the commentary and by the fact that the only Fulham efforts were the goals. Sloppy switch off moment from corner, bad effort from Sonks to clear and a third when we were pushing for an equalizer. The Birmingham away game now looks like a big game to break this away Hoodoo.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 03 Nov 2007 23:27

We didn't deserve to lose?

Since Kitson came back we have 1 tactic, lump the ball up the park for Kitson to flick on

The passing flowing football, ball on the deck,out wide with pace we have played the last two years has gone

The team gave up at 1-1 when we should have gone on to win. Too many were happy for a point.

What frustrates me even more is Coppell saw that, he admitted it in his interview MOTD but he chose not to change things till we were behind again. He got lucky last week leaving the change till late, this week it didn't work.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Nov 2007 23:28

Alarm bells are starting to ring tbh. If we can't beat Fulham away then it's hard to see where an away win is coming from, especially with Arsenal to come next. 3-1 is a shocking result.

Having just seen the goals, the 2nd goal is just littered with mistakes from Hunt, Shorey, Sonko and Hahnemann and is a quite frankly embarssing goal to give away. Work so hard to get back in the game and then do that is criminal.

It's easy to point the finger at the defense but when you have a midfield as oxf*rd as ours you aint gonna stop teams running through you. Leaving your defense exposed to waves of attacks.

I think it's time we went a bit old school. It's a bit harsh on Doobs who i don't think has done a great deal wrong, certainly no worse than anyone else but it's time for Murty/Rosenior - Sonko - Ivar - Shorey Got to go back to what was good for us and try it, see if it's got anything left to offer.

Time for Gunnarsson out with Fae in until we get to January and Coppell can attempt to sort out the mess he's left himself with. A 2nd record signing that can't get in the team, and time for Convey to start in place of the woeful Hunt. I'd rather doyle was up front but he's our best option on the right for now so should stay there, then Kitson with AN Other. I'd go Lita but if he goes for Long fair enough.

I personally find it embarassing that the team we have now, a year and a bit on in the Premiership is considerably weaker than the team that was playing week in week out for us in the Championship. That's where Coppell has failed in the last year or so for me. Our signings since January 06 have been quite frankly appalling.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 03 Nov 2007 23:34

Look at this club. We've become victims of our own success.

If this season is the last in the top flight. I want to see us playing with commitment and passion and inguenuity , not long ball hoof ball to Kitson to flick it on. If I wanted to watch that sort of match , I'd go and watch the fans team play , they seem to have more passion currentley than the 1st team.

We can't go on playing the way we are and expect our home form to keep us up , anybody who does can't be serious , we play away games as well as home games , we have to pick up points on the road if we want to succeed in any division not just the premiership.

This season has highlighted Coppell's tactical naivety , and how the 1st season we had this sort of problem , when we didn't win for 13 games , that didn't teach him anything. He hasn't learnt from it , and is relying on the same players week in week out to try and grab our results.

What has happened to the slick on the deck passing team we had once upon a time? Have we really slowly become a poor version of Bolton , relying on set pieces and long ball physical play to gain points?

Of course , I'll still be there backing the team even if we do go down , but at the moment , the team doesn't deserve the support of the fans. If they want the wages they earn , and the support they get , they have to put in the effort and the passion to take on teams who we should be taking points from.

Where's the team I love gone? Has it really dissepeared , or is it just slowly changing into something I can't see the fans wanting?

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 03 Nov 2007 23:36

Alan Partridge Alarm bells are starting to ring tbh. If we can't beat Fulham away then it's hard to see where an away win is coming from, especially with Arsenal to come next. 3-1 is a shocking result.

Having just seen the goals, the 2nd goal is just littered with mistakes from Hunt, Shorey, Sonko and Hahnemann and is a quite frankly embarssing goal to give away. Work so hard to get back in the game and then do that is criminal.

It's easy to point the finger at the defense but when you have a midfield as oxf*rd as ours you aint gonna stop teams running through you. Leaving your defense exposed to waves of attacks.

I think it's time we went a bit old school. It's a bit harsh on Doobs who i don't think has done a great deal wrong, certainly no worse than anyone else but it's time for Murty/Rosenior - Sonko - Ivar - Shorey Got to go back to what was good for us and try it, see if it's got anything left to offer.

Time for Gunnarsson out with Fae in until we get to January and Coppell can attempt to sort out the mess he's left himself with. A 2nd record signing that can't get in the team, and time for Convey to start in place of the woeful Hunt. I'd rather doyle was up front but he's our best option on the right for now so should stay there, then Kitson with AN Other. I'd go Lita but if he goes for Long fair enough.

I personally find it embarassing that the team we have now, a year and a bit on in the Premiership is considerably weaker than the team that was playing week in week out for us in the Championship. That's where Coppell has failed in the last year or so for me. Our signings since January 06 have been quite frankly appalling.

Why is it so bad that we cant beat Fulham away?

They have only lost twice at home this year which is the same as Everton and you wouldnt expect us to win there.

They have also only lost 4 times both home and away this season which is less than any team in the bottom half.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Nov 2007 23:37

Fulham ship goals

They are a team who won't be out of the 13th-20th category all season

They have only won 3 matches in 2007 (before today)

a 3-1 defeat there is shit.

185 posts