Harper for England - SKY Sports Official!

strap
Hob Nob Regular

Harper for England - SKY Sports Official!

by strap » 26 Nov 2007 20:19

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11673_2922214,00.html

"Sven Goran Eriksson's City have now clocked up eight victories from eight in Manchester; an immaculate record which looked to be drawing to a close when James Harper cancelled out Martin Petrov's opener. Impressive stuff, but could he do a job for England?"

What? Seriously, what?

Presumably the writer means SGE "doing a job", but had to read the paragraph about half a dozen times before perhaps fathoming out what the writer was trying to say!

Whatever happened to the teaching of punctuation in our schools?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 26 Nov 2007 20:27

Don;t be so sure !
The Independent today also makes reference to Harper as a possible England player.
Although again it's maybe not quite what it seems as it does so only in passing and as a lead into suggesting Nicky Shorey as a contender for a 'new' England generation.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Nov 2007 20:31

Behindu Don;t be so sure !
The Independent today also makes reference to Harper as a possible England player.
Although again it's maybe not quite what it seems as it does so only in passing and as a lead into suggesting Nicky Shorey as a contender for a 'new' England generation.

Wow, we're really desperate arn't we!

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 26 Nov 2007 20:35

I think Dave Kitson should allowed to show what he can do for England but wouldn't mind Harps having a go either. Atleast we'd have some players who would want to play for their country and not just turn up for their bonuses!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 26 Nov 2007 20:56

Geekins I think Dave Kitson should allowed to show what he can do for England but wouldn't mind Harps having a go either. Atleast we'd have some players who would want to play for their country and not just turn up for their bonuses!

indeed. And they would show some pride.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 26 Nov 2007 21:15

Yes, he had one good game on Saturday, but England? LOL

Cookie

Re: Harper for England - SKY Sports Official!

by Cookie » 26 Nov 2007 21:25

strap http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11673_2922214,00.html

"Sven Goran Eriksson's City have now clocked up eight victories from eight in Manchester; an immaculate record which looked to be drawing to a close when James Harper cancelled out Martin Petrov's opener. Impressive stuff, but could he do a job for England?"

What? Seriously, what?

Presumably the writer means SGE "doing a job", but had to read the paragraph about half a dozen times before perhaps fathoming out what the writer was trying to say!

Whatever happened to the teaching of punctuation in our schools?

Your right it cud of been clearer. :(

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 26 Nov 2007 21:38

LOL. EngLOLand?

Kitson has a higher chance than Harper , and Kitson's chance is very very slim as it is.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 26 Nov 2007 21:55

Royalee Yes, he had one good game on Saturday

Not sure about that one.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 26 Nov 2007 22:24

Behindu The Independent today also makes reference to Harper as a possible England player.
Meanwhile at the Chelsea training ground Steve Sidwell sits in the corner of the dressing room surrounded by piles of cash wondering where it all went wrong.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Nov 2007 22:49

Forbury Lion Meanwhile at the Chelsea training ground Steve Sidwell sits in the corner of the dressing room surrounded by piles of cash wondering where it all went wrong.

Did he not set up Kalou's goal on Saturday?

readingtillidie

by readingtillidie » 26 Nov 2007 23:41

Forbury Lion
Behindu The Independent today also makes reference to Harper as a possible England player.
Meanwhile at the Chelsea training ground Steve Sidwell sits in the corner of the dressing room surrounded by piles of cash wondering where it all went wrong.

hahahahahaha love it thats so funny well said :D :D :D

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 26 Nov 2007 23:47

readingtillidie
Forbury Lion

hahahahahaha love it thats so funny well said :D :D :D

A bit over the top wasn't it. Yes it was amusing but not something to p!ss yourself over :wink:

readingtillidie

by readingtillidie » 26 Nov 2007 23:52

it is if you think the money grabbing so and so deserves jokes like that :wink:

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 27 Nov 2007 00:11

I'll eat my hat if Harper ever plays for England!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Nov 2007 01:42

That's weird.

People may know me as one of Harper's harshest critics. Have hardly had anything good to say about him for years and threw my toys completely out my pram when he said insensitive things abotu preferring Parj to Coppell (rightly or wrongly).

But I have to say, the guy is quietly proving himself to be a class player and much as I hate to admit it, may not do as badly as the rest of you seem to think for England.

And I'm nto just saying that because my granny could get into the England squad at the moment.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 27 Nov 2007 09:47

Compo's Hat I'll eat my hat if Harper ever plays for England!

If Shorey can get in the England squad based on his current form, then Harper's definitely in with a shout. Yes, I know that Shorey fills a position that England are weak in and midfield is supposed to be our strongest area, but you'll always get 100% out of Harper every game he plays. Which is more than can be said of the lot that limped out of Euro 2008.

IMO, Harper is a better player than he gets credit for on HNA.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 27 Nov 2007 10:30

I would love to see an England X1 of uncapped players selected to play an international. Stick the likes of Kitson and Harper out against a mid ranking opposition and see if a bit of enthusiasm, pride and attitude allied to no little skill can produce a decent side.
Put Stuart Pearce in charge.
It's basically what Scotland have done.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 27 Nov 2007 10:45

Behindu I would love to see an England X1 of uncapped players selected to play an international. Stick the likes of Kitson and Harper out against a mid ranking opposition and see if a bit of enthusiasm, pride and attitude allied to no little skill can produce a decent side.
Put Stuart Pearce in charge.
It's basically what Scotland have done.

We already have a pub national side and a joke one, we don't need to make ourselves any more of a laughing stock. I can think of a whole load of central midfielders better than Harper as well, who have not had much of a chance so far

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 27 Nov 2007 10:47

Huntley & Palmer
We already have a pub national side and a joke one, we don't need to make ourselves any more of a laughing stock. I can think of a whole load of central midfielders better than Harper as well, who have not had much of a chance so far

So stick the better uncapped ones in... Harper isn't compulsory !
Not sure why putting a bunch of players who would try in the side would make us a laughing stock. Picking players like Gerrard, Ferdinand and Cole has already done that.