Coppell "I'm due a break"

183 posts
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Dec 2007 11:38

royaldownunder shorey, lita, now the manager, I smell rats and they are leaving the good ship reading fc sinking.

They haven't left yet. :roll:

Spotters Badge

by Spotters Badge » 04 Dec 2007 11:50

Alan Partridge
sheshnu
Alan Partridge 1-0 up, Convey - terrible so making a change, fair enough. So is Doyle going right wing and Long up front?

Or is he bringing on HIS central midfielder signing from the summer, nope it's Bikey. :shock:

I think Bikey could play in there, he's good enough. But i think it says more about Cisse than anything else.

What, he isn't 'match fit'? And who was the manager who signed Bikey, as far as I remember it was the same one who signed Cissé :?

Do continue your contributions to this frankly bizarre anti-Coppell tirade though.

Not anti Coppell at all if you actually bother to read the thread you will see.

Did he sign Bikey to play central midfield?

I'm pretty certain Cisse is a midfielder...so why didn't he come on?

Probably because Bikey wasn't brought on to play in midfield. He played in front of the back four in the hole between the midfield and defence. Coppell probably thought we had enough on the pitch to hold on to the victory but was let down as we all were.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 04 Dec 2007 12:04

It's staggering how many idiots on this thread think that when SC says he fancies a rest "shortly", they actually believe he means next week. He signed a two season deal last summer - his first ever - and if he is ever thinking of a break from the game, it will be when that runs out and no earlier, unless the armchair managers hound him out before then.

Nobody would believe we are in anything other than a trough at the moment, but the one-track blinkered approach adopted by most other clubs - and the majority of replies on this thread - is simply get rid of the manager. The intensity with which some force that view on the debate is magnified by the success we have had over the last two full seasons and the unreasonable belief that it simply must continue without rhyme or reason, not accounting for the fact that consolidation and gradual improvement should be the way forward.
Of course we are in danger of the season blowing up, but if there are any rats already deserting the ship, it's the fickle and unreasonable dolts who think they know how to run a football club year in, year out and have already condemned the club to relegation.
No amount of teeth-gnashing and wailing is going to alter the course the club wants to take. The "should of, would-of" brigade need to back off somewhat.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Dec 2007 12:06

i dont think coppell will leave until his contract runs out if he does then it'll be this summer but i still think it wasnt the best time to come out with something like this i mean what must the players be thinking let alone the fans? Oh we're playing for a manager who ll be leaving soon??

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Dec 2007 12:07

I hope JM pulls Coppell up on his comments in the interview.

At a time when we need to be projecting a united and positive front to the rest of the world the man in the middle of it all decides to run his mouth off about wanting some time away from the game.

For a supposedly intelligent man this is either a major cock up or he's playing games behind the scenes and he's done this to aid his cause.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Dec 2007 12:07

3 veesinarow The "should of, would-of" brigade

Was that deliberate?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 04 Dec 2007 12:11

readingbedding
Uke Look at the 'Big' teams below us who are 'Friends of the Press'

A conspiracy theorist could think that they would be arranging to have this stuff regurgitated just to unsettle the team even more...

And that would be bollox.

You don't say! :)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Dec 2007 12:21

coppell asked by tabloid journo about how tough the season is etc, says he feels like he needs a break soon,
hardly big news is it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2007 12:38

Seriously people, read the whole interview within the context of the article.

It's nothing that he hasn't said before, even last season or during the Championship season, when we were doing well.

If people want to use it as a stick to beat him with then go ahead but it kind of backs up his point of the fans choosing managers and when they actually go.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 04 Dec 2007 12:46

Coppell took the Royals into the top flight for the first time two seasons ago, but has become disillusioned with life in the hot seat, and reckons he has taken the Berkshire side as far as he can.

"I'm looking very shortly at having some time off," the 52-year-old told The Sun.

Yes but did he have to use the word "very"?

or is this a mis-quote...?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 04 Dec 2007 12:54

He is only about 5 foot 6.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 04 Dec 2007 12:55

Skin Coppell took the Royals into the top flight for the first time two seasons ago, but has become disillusioned with life in the hot seat, and reckons he has taken the Berkshire side as far as he can.

"I'm looking very shortly at having some time off," the 52-year-old told The Sun.

Yes but did he have to use the word "very"?

or is this a mis-quote...?

He didn't even tell the Sun that. Its a 'quote' from the Telegraph artice from Saturday...

More Sunsational bullshit..

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 04 Dec 2007 13:08

SpaceCruiser
3 veesinarow The "should of, would-of" brigade

Was that deliberate?

Twas ever that, Spacey. You should know me and my grammar by now...

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 04 Dec 2007 13:10

Like Coppell said about Lita & Shorey. If they wanna leave then f*ck off. The same applies for Coppell................F*CK OFF.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 04 Dec 2007 13:12

I think this is difficult.

I dont want Coppell to go - unlike others, I cant see us being any better under another manager - in fact we'd be far more likely to be relegated.

What does concern me is the uncertainty this creates. He may well come out and clarify his position (ie I will stay until trhe end of my contract) but then that creates the uncertainty that for example occured when Tony Blair said he would stand down at the end of the Third term but then got forced out before that.

its difficult to see how you can plan ahead if you know you'tre going - if players are attracted by Coppell then they wont come here. and equally why would the Chairman want to fork out big money for players that might not fit into the future plans of a new manager.

Unless an internal succession is being planned...... though they dont to be that successful!

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 04 Dec 2007 13:16

West Stand Flash Like Coppell said about Lita & Shorey. If they wanna leave then f*ck off. The same applies for Coppell................F*CK OFF.

I hope that's meant to be ironic. Kudos on the subtlety.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2007 13:17

West Stand Flash Like Coppell said about Lita & Shorey. If they wanna leave then f*ck off. The same applies for Coppell................F*CK OFF.

You have just shown in one statement exactly what Coppell means re fans in the article. Congratulations.

Read the context of the original article. There is nothing of any substance that is different to things he has said over the past few years.

At no point does he say he wants to leave now. He even talks about the next few years at Reading.

He always stated the ups and downs of management get him down at times, that is all the sentiment of the article is about in my mind.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2007 13:18

Only one Trevor Morley I think this is difficult.

I dont want Coppell to go - unlike others, I cant see us being any better under another manager - in fact we'd be far more likely to be relegated.

What does concern me is the uncertainty this creates. He may well come out and clarify his position (ie I will stay until trhe end of my contract) but then that creates the uncertainty that for example occured when Tony Blair said he would stand down at the end of the Third term but then got forced out before that.

its difficult to see how you can plan ahead if you know you'tre going - if players are attracted by Coppell then they wont come here. and equally why would the Chairman want to fork out big money for players that might not fit into the future plans of a new manager.

Unless an internal succession is being planned...... though they dont to be that successful!

But he hasn't said when he'll be going or indeed that he will at all. You can plan as much as at any other time.

Any manager knows that he can be fired at any moment, so who do you plan then?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Dec 2007 13:20

He did rather walk into that one! Shorey and Lita look like they want a break from Reading FC shortly and Sir Steve has now suggested that he very shortly wants a break, which would suggest he doesn't want to be around the club much longer either.

OOTM makes the very valid point that any uncertainty over the manager's plans for his own future are likely to make signing new players even more difficult.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 04 Dec 2007 13:21

...and you

183 posts