team for Villa

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 10 Jan 2008 09:20

Ideal
That Friday Feeling http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1210920,00.html

Brynjar Gunnarsson says he is more than happy to step into a central defensive role if called upon at Villa Park this weekend.

:?

The thought of Gunnarsson attempting to match Carew for a header leaves me with nightmares in the daytime!
It would be totally unfair to play Gunnarsson against a man twice as fast and twice as tall, I mean he could probably jump over Gunnarson rather than run around him. It would be a tragedy.

Think of the pace with have at the back:

Murty Gunnar Ivar Shorey

Can really see them keeping up with the likes of Ashley Young & Agbonlahor :roll:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jan 2008 10:26

Ideal
That Friday Feeling http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1210920,00.html

Brynjar Gunnarsson says he is more than happy to step into a central defensive role if called upon at Villa Park this weekend.

The thought of Gunnarsson attempting to match Carew for a header leaves me with nightmares in the daytime!
It would be totally unfair to play Gunnarsson against a man twice as fast and twice as tall, I mean he could probably jump over Gunnarson rather than run around him. It would be a tragedy.

brynn isnt short

and is great in the air

i would say balls in the air is the least of our worries this saturday

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 10 Jan 2008 11:37

Ideal

Most of Bryn's goals have been headers

I remember one in particular at old trafford

the guy can jump and head a ball!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jan 2008 11:42

At a set piece, dead ball situation when he is attacking the goal. Not so sure about constant balls down the channel and over his head whilst he backpeddles. As I said elsewhere, you play someone that is a natural in that position if they are available, so Doobs/Bennett/Pearce in that order and depending on fitness

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jan 2008 11:46

Huntley & Palmer At a set piece, dead ball situation when he is attacking the goal. Not so sure about constant balls down the channel and over his head whilst he backpeddles. As I said elsewhere, you play someone that is a natural in that position if they are available, so Doobs/Bennett/Pearce in that order and depending on fitness

doobs/pearce bennet for me

was just replying saying he aint short, and can head the ball
hes had no problems with that aspect of the game when played there in the past

its the balls behind him he has to worry about this weekend

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 10 Jan 2008 11:49

basically, Carew v Gunnarsson, Agbolahor v Shorey and Young v Murty = :shock:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jan 2008 11:50

brendywendy
Huntley & Palmer At a set piece, dead ball situation when he is attacking the goal. Not so sure about constant balls down the channel and over his head whilst he backpeddles. As I said elsewhere, you play someone that is a natural in that position if they are available, so Doobs/Bennett/Pearce in that order and depending on fitness

If I cast my mind back to last season when Gunnar played in defence at Villa when Sonks was sent off, he got torn to pieces.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jan 2008 11:51

Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy

If I cast my mind back to last season when Gunnar played in defence at Villa when Sonks was sent off, he got torn to pieces.

what you mean worse than sonks?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 10 Jan 2008 12:08

Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy

And that was against Angel, let alone Carew.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Jan 2008 12:10

Would be interesting to see Bennett play but yes I would go for Duberry, Bennett, Pearce in that order. Is pearce quick?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jan 2008 12:12

brendywendy
Huntley & Palmer
brendywendy

what you mean worse than sonks?

As Papyrus has pointed out, it was against Angel and Agbonlahor as well. Doobs has looked comfortable against the taller, bigger attackers since joining us rather than the smaller quicker ones so would definitely prefer him to start.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 10 Jan 2008 12:18

You just have to go for Duberry's experience in Saturday's situation. It could be a disastrous day for Pearce, Bennett too. For all his limitations I would play Gunnar ahead of them in that game.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 10 Jan 2008 13:34

Could be difficult with our outstanding African Nations players away !! so I would go for:-
USA
Murts
Duberry
Ingi
Shorey
Hunt
matejovsky **
Harper
Convey
Doyle
Kitson
Subs:-
Fed
Pearce
Gunner
Long
Lita

** will never be in there but why buy a player and not play him !!! as we normally do, if we think that foreign players take time to settle in then don't buy them!!!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Jan 2008 13:49

howser Could be difficult with our outstanding African Nations players away !! so I would go for:-
USA
Murts
Duberry
Ingi
Shorey
Hunt
matejovsky **
Harper
Convey
Doyle
Kitson
Subs:-
Fed
Pearce
Gunner
Long
Lita

** will never be in there but why buy a player and not play him !!! as we normally do, if we think that foreign players take time to settle in then don't buy them!!!

No Cisse then? Why buy a player if you don't play them? :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Jan 2008 14:03

In these days of saving the environment wouldn't it be more prudent for the "team for.." thread and the "prediction" thread to be united?

Just a thought.............
Last edited by Gordons Cumming on 10 Jan 2008 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 10 Jan 2008 14:04

Hasn't Cisse played yet then ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Jan 2008 15:19

howser Hasn't Cisse played yet then ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Not enough...

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 10 Jan 2008 16:12

kitson will have to be dropped will cause unrest in the squad otherwise

litas last chance?

or long to start?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Jan 2008 16:28

juanpablo kitson will have to be dropped will cause unrest in the squad otherwise

litas last chance?

or long to start?

Why on earth would we drop Kitson -- whatever he may or may not have done? Nothing to do with football.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 10 Jan 2008 16:49

Hahnemann

Murty
Ingimarsson
Duberry if fit, otherwise Gunnar
Shorey

Hunt
Harper
Cisse, otherwise Gunnar if Doobs fit
Convey