Clear out in the summer?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Clear out in the summer?

by Only one Trevor Morley » 29 Jan 2008 10:43

Whisper it quietly, but Reading are starting to get a squad that could in some quarters be described as large - certainly the largest since the Burns era.

Lets not dwell on the quality of it - plenty of other threads are doing that. However if we're looking to have a 22 player squad then there is some room for a clear out

A 22 man squad could include

Hahnemann, Federici

Murty, Rosenior, Sonko, Ingi, Duberry, Cisse, Shorey, DLC
Oster, Little, Hunt, Convey, Fae, Marek, Harper, Kebe
Long Lita Kitson Doyle

That still leaves us with Gunnar, Bikey, Bennett, Halls, Cox, Henry, Pearce, Robson-Kanu, Aaron Browan champing at the bit when everyone is fit.

So who would you get rid of? I think I'd let Sonko, Bennett, DLC, Oster, Gunnar Aaron Brown Halls go at the end of the season, But how will the youth emerge even with this lot going?

Answers on a postcard please

Oh and does anyone have a list of the players whose contracts are up shortly?
Last edited by Only one Trevor Morley on 29 Jan 2008 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Blooded

Re: Clear out in the summer?

by Blue Blooded » 29 Jan 2008 10:47

There is no way that Sonko should be leaving yet. If any player can come back stronger next season it will be him!

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 29 Jan 2008 10:48

Blue Blooded There is no way that Sonko should be leaving yet. If any player can come back stronger next season it will be him!

Som which of our many centre abcks should go (particularly as Cisse can play there).

The issue I am raising is that we've actually starting to get a fairly large squad that I think will need to be pruned...

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 29 Jan 2008 10:55

I agree that some of it needs pruning but Sonko is in no way to be written off yet. That lad is just going through a bit of a crises of confidence at the moment but his form will return.

Think you are right about the others but with Sonko I think that he still has enormous potential for this club and to achieve greater feats in the future.

With the rest they are not likely to get better and will be nothing but fringe players anyway

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jan 2008 10:59

Only one Trevor Morley
Blue Blooded There is no way that Sonko should be leaving yet. If any player can come back stronger next season it will be him!

Som which of our many centre abcks should go (particularly as Cisse can play there).

The issue I am raising is that we've actually starting to get a fairly large squad that I think will need to be pruned...

Halls, Brown, Sodje, Bennet,Golbourne, Cox and possibly Oster are unlikely to be here next season if anyone else comes in for them. I'm not certain but I think that both DLC and Henry are out of contract at the end of the year and may decide themselves not to stay.

Of course its all a bit dependent on what division we're in next season.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 Jan 2008 11:00

I'd release/ sell if possible

Stack
Halls
Sodje
Bennett
Bozanic
Robson Kanu
Cox (sadly)
Brown
Fae
replace Hahnemann and send Federici out on loan
if we could sell Sonko I probably would.
DLC
Golbourne
Oster
Gunnarsson
replace Murty with Rosenior but Murty would stay in the squad.

fingers crossed Little comes back ok but we may be forced to let him go.

But also it depends what league we are in. If CCC then Sonko would certainly stay, probably no need to replace Hahnemann. All ifs and buts.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 29 Jan 2008 11:09

Alan Partridge I'd release/ sell if possible

Stack
Halls
Sodje
Bennett
Bozanic
Robson Kanu
Cox (sadly)
Brown
Fae
DLC
Golbourne
Oster
Gunnarsson

But also it depends what league we are in. If CCC then Sonko would certainly stay, probably no need to replace Hahnemann. All ifs and buts.

Why Bozanic and Robson-Kanu? I'd heard that the latter is most likely to progress into the first team.

I'm basing my assumptions on us staying up - clearly things completely change if we dont.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 29 Jan 2008 11:11

Only one Trevor Morley
Alan Partridge I'd release/ sell if possible

Stack
Halls
Sodje
Bennett
Bozanic
Robson Kanu
Cox (sadly)
Brown
Fae
DLC
Golbourne
Oster
Gunnarsson

Why Bozanic and Robson-Kanu? I'd heard that the latter is most likely to progress into the first team.

I'm basing my assumptions on us staying up - clearly things completely change if we dont.

A waste of (albeit little) wages for 2 players that won't play in the first team here.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 29 Jan 2008 11:11

Coppell will not make mass changes, not in a million years.

A few out and few less in, if we're lucky.

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 29 Jan 2008 11:13

Incredibly harsh crowd here.

Have people forgotten how good Sonko was last year before he got injured?

Not easy to come back from injury and bring stability into a shaky team. I may have said so already but there is no way that anyone should be contemplating selling him on the back of some dodgy games. I am sure that there have been top defenders who have had bad spells and come back stronger - this will be Sonko next year.

What of Cisse?

I actually missed the United match, appparently he had a corker. That's great but if you cannot raise the bar against United....Now I hope he can do a similar job on Wednesday, Saturday and solve that problem until the season end - but until the season has ended you cannot make a rational judgement on the basis of a game like that - would have thought it would distort things.

Fae - This player is quality and should be given a proper chance to establish himself.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 29 Jan 2008 11:14

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell will not make mass changes, not in a million years.

He did it before...and that year we went up.

Only one Trevor Morley

by Only one Trevor Morley » 29 Jan 2008 11:20

Blue Blooded Incredibly harsh crowd here.

Have people forgotten how good Sonko was last year before he got injured?

Not easy to come back from injury and bring stability into a shaky team. I may have said so already but there is no way that anyone should be contemplating selling him on the back of some dodgy games. I am sure that there have been top defenders who have had bad spells and come back stronger - this will be Sonko next year.

What of Cisse?

I actually missed the United match, appparently he had a corker. That's great but if you cannot raise the bar against United....Now I hope he can do a similar job on Wednesday, Saturday and solve that problem until the season end - but until the season has ended you cannot make a rational judgement on the basis of a game like that - would have thought it would distort things.

Fae - This player is quality and should be given a proper chance to establish himself.

I'm not that sure that Sonko was immense last season. He did have some good games. But he also conceded penalties (which is a critical flaw in Sonko - he is unable to judge the pace of the player when they go past him and will more often that not foul him). Our record was much better in the second half of the season when he was injured.

As regards Fae there is clearly an issue with him adjusting - Cisse definitely seems to be the favoured one at the meoment and Marek was bought on even though he clearly wasnt fit because of the obvious quality he has.

It wouldnt surprise me to see Convey go judging by some of the comments Coppell has made about him (basically one good season in four so far).

If we do stay up then I think they'll be a substantial clear out. if we don't then I think we'd lose some of our best players - replace them where we can with exsiting squad members and younger players and then take it from there.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 29 Jan 2008 11:21

Alan Partridge
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Coppell will not make mass changes, not in a million years.

He did it before...and that year we went up.

This is his team though. I really think that makes a big difference.

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 29 Jan 2008 11:23

I don't think it would be healthy to have a large turnover of players coming in and out (Even in the close season). I would have thought that the key would be continuity.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Jan 2008 11:24

Only one Trevor Morley It wouldnt surprise me to see Convey go judging by some of the comments Coppell has made about him (basically one good season in four so far).

Wasn't Convey injured for most of last season?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2008 11:27

Blue Blooded I don't think it would be healthy to have a large turnover of players coming in and out (Even in the close season). I would have thought that the key would be continuity.

Agreed, if we stay up I can't see us making sweeping changes.

There will be a few to leave, mentioned by others already and a few coming in - a new GK, CB, RM and possibly a striker.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 29 Jan 2008 11:31

i have a feeling duberry is out of contract in the summer, did he not only sign an 18 month contract?

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 29 Jan 2008 11:33

SpaceCruiser
Only one Trevor Morley It wouldnt surprise me to see Convey go judging by some of the comments Coppell has made about him (basically one good season in four so far).

Wasn't Convey injured for most of last season?

I wish that Convey would be given the opportunity to run at people more - instead of passing square or crossing at from the edeg of the Penalty area (If we are lucky). I suspect that with Convey his real strengths are not really apparent when you have Kitsons height being (Over) utilised.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Jan 2008 11:41

gazzer, loyal royal i have a feeling duberry is out of contract in the summer, did he not only sign an 18 month contract?

A good point. His future here may be dependent on how Coppell views Alex Pearce's progress and whether Cisse can reproduce the level of performance we saw last time out.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 29 Jan 2008 11:44

Doobs will probably be offered a new deal - depending on how well he comes back from injury. I can't see Dela staying & I reckon Oster will go too. Those players who have spent most of the season on loan (Stack, Bennet & the one at Gillingham that I can't remember his name at the moment) will mostly likely leave as well.