Steve Coppell

Fezza

Re: Steve Coppell

by Fezza » 03 Feb 2008 12:31

I was going to start a thread called "Championship Manager" highlighting SC's seeming inability to cope with the needs of a Premiership club, highlighting his sucessive failures in the last 3 transfer windows to address really quite clear cut problems and needs, despite being told he has cash available. Also his increasing lack of tactical clout in keeping to much faith in failing out of form players and allowing his backroom team to pick the team because he no longer has a clue.

I would love to be proved wrong because I do see SC as an absolute legend, it's just his heart seems to have gone out of it, I expect him to leave at the end of the season whatever happens.

Who would you want to come in as manager should the worst happen or SC just decide to up sticks?

Big Sam is looking for a job?

Blue Heart

by Blue Heart » 03 Feb 2008 19:32

I have a great deal of respect for Steve Coppell, he is articulate, thoughtful, intelligent and comes across as a decent human being. The latter part of that statement is where I think part of the problem lies, don't get me wrong I don't want a manager who runs around like a headless chicken or shouts verbal abuse to all and sundry, but I think perhaps that he has shown too much loyalty to certain players, who quite frankly are not up to the job in hand. I observed Steve quite closely for best part of the second half ( I was depressed watching the game) he was inanimate, brooding, pensive and generally looked fed up and let down. Certainly, I think by some of the players but perhaps also by others. The Emperor Nero played on his fiddle whilst Rome was burning, is the heirachy at the Madejski doing the same?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Feb 2008 19:46

you've had new owners for about 2 months or so , isnt it about time you went bankrupt, or there was some sort of boardroom gun waving incident ?
i've got QPR supporting friends and even they know you're a joke club.

Like the way we dont hear a peep out of you until there's a whiff of trouble at Reading - f*ck off you're not wanted.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Feb 2008 19:47

getting wound up by Tredder is soooo 2003

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 03 Feb 2008 19:47

Tredder Would it be safe to say, that you are now in the territory where he generally packs his bags and ups sticks?

Where's SDR and his 'Watch City FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY' line?

fcuk off

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 03 Feb 2008 19:50

leon you've had new owners for about 2 months or so , isnt it about time you went bankrupt, or there was some sort of boardroom gun waving incident ?
i've got QPR supporting friends and even they know you're a joke club.

Like the way we dont hear a peep out of you until there's a whiff of trouble at Reading - f*ck off you're not wanted.

It's like riding a bike or waiting for the number 17 bus.

Do you know the punchline about being a joke club, we're the richest club in the world, makes me laugh every single day.

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 03 Feb 2008 20:21

Alan Partridge getting wound up by Tredder is soooo 2003

Circa 2000 I think you will find! (in my case anyway!)

None the less, once a false hoop, always a false hoop!

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 03 Feb 2008 20:23

Beelzebub

This is true, on a plus note, you'll be able to have hoops next season.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 03 Feb 2008 20:27

Only SDR needed to get all the goons on here together. Maybe then Platy can lock the thread with them in it.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 03 Feb 2008 20:59

Arch Only SDR needed to get all the goons on here together. Maybe then Platy can lock the thread with them in it.

I'm on the outside looking in, lock the thread.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 04 Feb 2008 01:14

Tredder
Beelzebub

This is true, on a plus note, you'll be able to have hoops next season.

Hang on, you're taking the piss out of us because next season, possibly, we might be back at your level?

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 04 Feb 2008 06:37

Tredder Would it be safe to say, that you are now in the territory where he generally packs his bags and ups sticks?

Where's SDR and his 'Watch City FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY' line?

In a word, no.

Best manager we've ever had and the ideal man to take us back up if we do go down.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Feb 2008 06:42

There have though been a lot of doubts expressed about Coppell in the last few weeks tho, I thought the lack of desire and passion one was very telling. Just perhaps , as that post suggested, players do not want to play for a club with so little ambition.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 04 Feb 2008 18:41

West Stand Flash Coppell won't quit, but he will be gone in the summer.
Took us as far as he can & he is showing this season that he is losing the plot.

Bye bye Steve
stock phrase of the clueless twat who thinks sacking the manager is the answer to every problem.

Go and support Newcastle. You'd fit right in.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 04 Feb 2008 18:45

The 17 Bus There have though been a lot of doubts expressed about Coppell in the last few weeks tho, I thought the lack of desire and passion one was very telling. Just perhaps , as that post suggested, players do not want to play for a club with so little ambition.
yeah, these players who joined us in the second and third tiers of English football after playing much of their careers at those levels must think that hoping to be an average premiership club is so beneath them.

What is with the board these days? Is there an idiot convention on at the Hexagon or something?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 04 Feb 2008 18:50

Blue Heart I have a great deal of respect for Steve Coppell, he is articulate, thoughtful, intelligent and comes across as a decent human being. The latter part of that statement is where I think part of the problem lies, don't get me wrong I don't want a manager who runs around like a headless chicken or shouts verbal abuse to all and sundry, but I think perhaps that he has shown too much loyalty to certain players, who quite frankly are not up to the job in hand. I observed Steve quite closely for best part of the second half ( I was depressed watching the game) he was inanimate, brooding, pensive and generally looked fed up and let down. Certainly, I think by some of the players but perhaps also by others. The Emperor Nero played on his fiddle whilst Rome was burning, is the heirachy at the Madejski doing the same?

totally agree - loyalty doesnt always pay...and as for Nero , not sure if he cares tbh,as long a Chris Tarrant, French & Saunders, Parky and Cilla are there - he thinks hes important....somehow i think he forgets about what the fans want

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 04 Feb 2008 18:58

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
Blue Heart I have a great deal of respect for Steve Coppell, he is articulate, thoughtful, intelligent and comes across as a decent human being. The latter part of that statement is where I think part of the problem lies, don't get me wrong I don't want a manager who runs around like a headless chicken or shouts verbal abuse to all and sundry, but I think perhaps that he has shown too much loyalty to certain players, who quite frankly are not up to the job in hand. I observed Steve quite closely for best part of the second half ( I was depressed watching the game) he was inanimate, brooding, pensive and generally looked fed up and let down. Certainly, I think by some of the players but perhaps also by others. The Emperor Nero played on his fiddle whilst Rome was burning, is the heirachy at the Madejski doing the same?

totally agree - loyalty doesnt always pay...and as for Nero , not sure if he cares tbh,as long a Chris Tarrant, French & Saunders, Parky and Cilla are there - he thinks hes important....somehow i think he forgets about what the fans want

Strikes me their is a few people here with short memories. Any one noticed where Oxford are at the moment, or the financial state Swindon are in. This is no joking matter. Without Mr Mad and what he has done with the club we would probably be in an even worse state.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 04 Feb 2008 19:08

Do the sums - dont compare to those clubs! Yes Madesjski came in and invested but we are years on now - why do people always look back when they should be looking forwards!

Beelzebub

by Beelzebub » 04 Feb 2008 19:11

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Do the sums - dont compare to those clubs! Yes Madesjski came in and invested but we are years on now - why do people always look back when they should be looking forwards!

I agree, look forward, but you can't expect one man to do everything. By his own admission, he has taken the club as far as he can. To go on and up in the modern game will require an even richer more succesfull owner, and thats not Mr Mads fault...

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 04 Feb 2008 19:18

I agree with you - but dont value the club way beyond its true value to maximise on profits- clubs are being bought left, right and centre at the moment and our "For Sale" sign is still stuck in the mud

We are in affluent area, premiership club, great infrastructure - you tell me why we havent been snapped up whilst every other club for sale has been??? American investors choosing clubs like Derby over us??? something isnt right

If we go down he will soon find that his valuation is going to be dramatically reduced but tbh not sure he is even selling - just another opportunity to get some broadcast coverage

Just how deep does a buyers pockets need to be? obviously no one is willing to pay what chairman wants so to me, its all a charade!