Shorey says.....

Xavier Onassis

Re: Shorey says.....

by Xavier Onassis » 07 Apr 2008 00:00

LUX
floyd__streete I wonder whether Lux thinks that this is an 'OTT reaction'?

no, I respect it coming from someone who, it is fair to say, knows what he is talking about.
On the other hand, it's not the last word given that his manager thought we were the better team in the first half.

The pessimistic mind can only remember the most recent affront. We were walked all ove in the second half and that's what many RFC supporters (and players evidently) remember when they say we were dump, shambolic, a pub team, etc. If the match had been abandoned at half time, even with the score 2-0 the responses would have been different.

The post mortem to this game really reminds me of the Spurs game. It's very much glass-half-full versus glass-totally-empty.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 07 Apr 2008 00:11

Royalee
Platypuss You actually get angered by comments on here? :lol:

Not so much angered, more irked or annoyed given the complete lack of knowledge of some on here - yourself included obviously.

Might be a good time to dig out the 'Coppell out' thread of a few weeks ago? Can't remember which muppet was suggesting that and then mysteriously went quiet after we won a couple of games.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Apr 2008 08:02

Xavier Onassis
LUX

no, I respect it coming from someone who, it is fair to say, knows what he is talking about.
On the other hand, it's not the last word given that his manager thought we were the better team in the first half.

The pessimistic mind can only remember the most recent affront. We were walked all ove in the second half and that's what many RFC supporters (and players evidently) remember when they say we were dump, shambolic, a pub team, etc. If the match had been abandoned at half time, even with the score 2-0 the responses would have been different.

The post mortem to this game really reminds me of the Spurs game. It's very much glass-half-full versus glass-totally-empty.

Given that even in the time when we did have some progressive approach play we still displayed the same old frailties in front of goal, I'd find it hard to argue that the glass was only half empty. :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Apr 2008 08:42

Xavier Onassis
LUX

I can't remember the last time the league decided to play games over 45 minutes can you?

We lost our better 45 minutes 2-0, don't you find that in the least bit disappointing or worrying?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Apr 2008 09:09

Now I know that Shorey will sign a new deal for RFC...
You just watch.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Apr 2008 09:42

Hoop Blah
Xavier Onassis The pessimistic mind can only remember the most recent affront. We were walked all ove in the second half and that's what many RFC supporters (and players evidently) remember when they say we were dump, shambolic, a pub team, etc. If the match had been abandoned at half time, even with the score 2-0 the responses would have been different.

I can't remember the last time the league decided to play games over 45 minutes can you?

We lost our better 45 minutes 2-0, don't you find that in the least bit disappointing or worrying?

Of course it's disappointing, but this happens in football all the bleedin' time doesn't it?

The 45 minute thing is now an irrelevance - we lost the game and that's end of story, but what I find irritating is the recurring theme that we were useless on the day (full stop) - we weren't - in the 1st half we played some of our best football of the season, unfortunately with zero cutting edge up front.

It's all pretty useless playing pretty football if no bugger can put the ball in the net of course but nonetheless I found it very encouraging to see the team, without Matejovsky, playing some very neat passing football all over the pitch. It was an indication to me that MM's influence (remember he said he was brought in to help change the style of play?) was starting to be felt, even in his absence.

Where the hell it all went in the 2nd half is another matter of course... :cry:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Apr 2008 09:52

'If you don't score you'll never win'
Everyone, circa 1861-2008.
Last edited by readingbedding on 07 Apr 2008 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 07 Apr 2008 09:53

It was the second half performance that has me puzzzled.I thought we played ok in the first half but the second half
was woefull.Doyle could still be playing and would not have scored.The problem is up front and has been for a long time.
If there is no sevice to the guys up front then how come Hunt has missed sitters from 6 yards 3 weeks on the trot?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Apr 2008 09:54

Royal Rother Of course it's disappointing, but this happens in football all the bleedin' time doesn't it?

Of course it does, but realistically, when you play below par or don't have the ability to make your good play count for anything (as we've failed to do all season by the way) you have to expect those who want the club to prosper and win games to express their disappoinment.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Apr 2008 10:03

Hoop Blah
Royal Rother Of course it's disappointing, but this happens in football all the bleedin' time doesn't it?

Of course it does, but realistically, when you play below par or don't have the ability to make your good play count for anything (as we've failed to do all season by the way) you have to expect those who want the club to prosper and win games to express their disappoinment.

I doubt there were any high-fives on the team bus on the way back home...
It's apparent, RFC lost the plot in the 2nd half, but we have never cried over spilt milk, what's the point?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Apr 2008 10:07

readingbedding
Hoop Blah

I doubt there were any high-fives on the team bus on the way back home...
It's apparent, RFC lost the plot in the 2nd half, but we have never cried over spilt milk, what's the point?

To learn from your mistakes perhaps?

You always learn a lot more in defeat than you do when you winning, which I guess mean's we should've learnt a hell of a lot this season. If you just shrug your shoulders and accept a defeat without it hurting or trying to understand why it happened you'll never get any better.

At least Hahnemann has the rigth idea, he said on Sky yesterday that he got hold of the video of the goals straight away so he could see if he could've done anything different to prevent the goals.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Apr 2008 10:11

I don't play for Reading FC, I don't manage Reading FC.
I support Reading FC.

I don't analyse things to death when we lose...because I have no control about what is happening in front of my eyes.

We're a pro outfit, as we speak the players will be on their way to train, and listen, and improve.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Apr 2008 10:17

readingbedding I don't play for Reading FC, I don't manage Reading FC.
I support Reading FC.

I don't analyse things to death when we lose...because I have no control about what is happening in front of my eyes.

We're a pro outfit, as we speak the players will be on their way to train, and listen, and improve.

Sorry, your post I was replying to seemed to be referring to the players who were on the coach home not high-fiving or the club who don't cry over spilt milk.

If you seriously don't think fans cry over spilt milk you must go to a different kind of football to me.

Anyway, I make no apologies for having an opinion on the things that go on around my club, and I find it odd that someone who says they don't analyse what he see's on the pitch actually bothers to come on a message board where the whole point is to discuss the events surrounding the club.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Apr 2008 10:20

shorey is right

and sometimes good teams play shite

oh well, it was away, what did we expect

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Apr 2008 10:38

Hoop Blah
I support Reading FC.

Sorry, your post I was replying to seemed to be referring to the players who were on the coach home not high-fiving or the club who don't cry over spilt milk.

If you seriously don't think fans cry over spilt milk you must go to a different kind of football to me.

Anyway, I make no apologies for having an opinion on the things that go on around my club, and I find it odd that someone who says they don't analyse what he see's on the pitch actually bothers to come on a message board where the whole point is to discuss the events surrounding the club.

You have me all wrong, if you think I'm criticising you for having an opinion, you are way off the mark...
It's just the MASSIVE mood swings, from the same old people, trotting out the same old lines.

We all know a gash performance when we see it, we are all aware of it.
It's there - right in front of us.
Let's all scratch our heads and wonder how we can draw at Manchester United away, beat Liverpool at home, lose at Fulham away, lose to Bolton at home and lose meekly to Newcastle United away...

Next game, different opinions, different interpretations about the same players, this is why Football is a funny old game.
In regards to RFC these days, I am never morbid, never embarassed, never looking for an apology, never looking for the 'what if'...

Look around us, there are 80 professional teams who would gladly swap our tricky season in the top flight, maybe not all of them, but you know what I mean...

I just hate RFC are great...RFC are useless comments...

If there were lucid and honest opinions on this forum, we all would contribute...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Apr 2008 10:44

readingbedding I just hate RFC are great...RFC are useless comments...

If there were lucid and honest opinions on this forum, we all would contribute...

So what was lucid and honest about

I support Reading FC.

To me that just sounds like accepting defeat and mindlessly moving on to the next one. Obvioulsy nothing that is debated on here will influence the team affairs in any way, but just slating others for expressing an opinion without offering any kind of alternative is just as bad as the boom-bust posts.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 Apr 2008 11:01

earleyroyal
Royalee
Platypuss You actually get angered by comments on here? :lol:

Not so much angered, more irked or annoyed given the complete lack of knowledge of some on here - yourself included obviously.

Might be a good time to dig out the 'Coppell out' thread of a few weeks ago? Can't remember which muppet was suggesting that and then mysteriously went quiet after we won a couple of games.

I didn't go quiet - he still has yet to do anything to satisfy me that he'll sort things out this pre season, although I hope to be proven wrong.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 07 Apr 2008 11:13

Again, you're not getting me.
We're all different ages, and we have different interpretations about this team of ours.

I'm not mindless, clueless, head in the clouds, doesn't matter if we lose because everything's gonna be alright.

I just have absolute trust that the set-up we have here is trying their best.

Never negative, why should I be at this moment of time?
Look at the bigger picture, be pragmatic and sometimes accept that we have never, ever had it so 'good'.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2008 11:19

This game could very easily sum up our season.

Plenty of promise with no real delivery in half of it, a pretty shambolic return in the other half where we were cut to pieces by a team who were sharper mentally and more organised. Costly mistakes preventing the chance of getting points when we were actually playing well. Still just about enough about us to stay up.

We saw a couple of seasons ago that a good team can lose it's way and put in totally dump performances. We also saw that the same team with 1 or two new additions and a few players already there making a step up can then dramatically improve the whole team's performance in the next season.

All we need it the right 2-4 additions, plus some of this seasons newbies settling in fully and things could easily click and we could find ourselves chasing Europe again.

Now I don't see us hitting those heights next season, thats a best case scenario, but with a couple of the right players, who take pressure off of the ones we do have and increase our creativity and confidence, then the likes of Kitson, Doyle, Hunt, Harper, (Fae,) Matejovski, Little, Bikey, Sonko, Shorey, Rosenior, Hahnemann, Ivar, Long and so on can all play major parts again. They've prooved they can play well enough in the premiership, now they've got to prove it wasn't a one off and that they can sustain it over a season as known quantities.

Equally we could spend £25m on the wrong 4-6 star players and we could end up getting relegated. Thats why we took 130+ years to get here. It's fecking hard work and lots of luck.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Apr 2008 11:46

Good post IR.